Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

HockeyRoanoke

Not to sound dramatic

I can honestly see Roanoke losing hockey again, people are already starting to lose interest in the general public. I would go as far to say to product on the ice is comparable to the Vipers time here. Am I the only one who feels this way?

To be honest, I have been skeptical about the team since the beginning. Everyone praised McGinn and talked about how great of an owner he would be but I don’t really know how true that is. I am really starting to believe that the owners say all the right things but then do nothing about it. I have also noticed that McGinn has not been to many games this season, I get that he lives far away but you don’t really see or hear much out of him. He wrote that piece about the team but honestly, things have gotten worse. If changes are not made this team will be last in the league with no wins in regulation. It really blows my mind that multiple people still defend the players and coach when we are three months in and have not won a single game in regulation. 

Please don’t waste your time by saying how great of a person anyone is or how the organization is a class act. All the nonsense about how well the players are treated by the booster club and owners really doesn’t matter at this point. No one is going to want to play for a losing team. 

Does the team have a contract to play in Roanoke for a certain number of years? I’ve heard 3 years be tossed around. 

The lease they signed last year with the BC was for 3 years, so next year will be the last year of  the current lease. Hopefully there will be negotiations to extend for more years. 

I'm still waiting for all these players that McGinn keeps saying wants to come play here.

Edited by Onetimer

Please don’t waste your time by saying how great of a person anyone is or how the organization is a class act. All the nonsense about how well the players are treated by the booster club and owners really doesn’t matter at this point. 

To honor this point, I will simply say that I hope things get straightened out. I have enjoyed heading to Roanoke in the past and had a great time in town last night. While I doubt there were 3,100 people in the building, I'd say there was still a "good" crowd, so things aren't dire yet. Again, hope things get straightened out. 

4 minutes ago, TimO said:

To honor this point, I will simply say that I hope things get straightened out. I have enjoyed heading to Roanoke in the past and had a great time in town last night. While I doubt there were 3,100 people in the building, I'd say there was still a "good" crowd, so things aren't dire yet. Again, hope things get straightened out. 

There are tons of passionate fans in Roanoke. I think that’s why a lot are very critical. The ones criticizing the team really care about the team and want them to do well. People wouldn’t call them out if they didn’t care. The idea that being critical of the team equates to not being a real fan is silly. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, robard said:

There are tons of passionate fans in Roanoke. I think that’s why a lot are very critical. The ones criticizing the team really care about the team and want them to do well. People wouldn’t call them out if they didn’t care. The idea that being critical of the team equates to not being a real fan is silly. 

If you aren't critical then what's the point? I feel that Roanoke fans were without hockey for a long time and are being exposed to less than that. I saw a comment on Facebook that this is the SPHL. It does not matter. Scott Darling is an NHL goalie, which goes to show that a former SPHL player can achieve the highest dream possible. Not only is he an NHL goalie, he is the primary goalie for the Hurricanes. Plus, Roanoke was so use to ECHL that yes, they have higher standards. No reason to tell them otherwise.

I feel for the fans of Roanoke because they were promised this and that and the only thing they are getting is disappointment. If Bob or Mickey cannot take what fans are saying to heart and make changes, I fear that Roanoke hockey may whither away again.

• Like 1

I am also tired of people saying “stop talking about the Express! This team is the Dawgs not the Express!”

The reason why people constantly talk about the Express is because they were an important part of the community for 10 years. Of course it’s a different league but at least the Express had an identity and gave fans something to cheer about. Correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t the Express ALWAYS an above .500 team? 

I understand that this is a different team and they will never be like the Express but they could at least have an identity. It’s been said 100 times but there needs to be a shake up all around. 

If any players or staff reads this, please log off of this website and focus on improving your game, please. 

35 minutes ago, robard said:

I am also tired of people saying “stop talking about the Express! This team is the Dawgs not the Express!”

The reason why people constantly talk about the Express is because they were an important part of the community for 10 years. Of course it’s a different league but at least the Express had an identity and gave fans something to cheer about. Correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t the Express ALWAYS an above .500 team? 

I understand that this is a different team and they will never be like the Express but they could at least have an identity. It’s been said 100 times but there needs to be a shake up all around. 

If any players or staff reads this, please log off of this website and focus on improving your game, please. 

The worst season for the Express was the 2000-01 season with a .556 winning percentage, but still earned 80 points. 38-30-4

Overall, in the 11 years of the ECHL as the Express, a .601 percentage. The Express made the playoffs all 11 years.

48 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

The worst season for the Express was the 2000-01 season with a .556 winning percentage, but still earned 80 points. 38-30-4

Overall, in the 11 years of the ECHL as the Express, a .601 percentage. The Express made the playoffs all 11 years.

That’s what I thought. I still don’t get how they folded. From what I understand it was a management issue/high ticket prices. 

2 minutes ago, robard said:

That’s what I thought. I still don’t get how they folded. From what I understand it was a management issue/high ticket prices. 

Well, the first thing people need to remember, minor league hockey is still first and foremost a business. When operating costs increase, so do prices. Right now, the ECHL average operating cost is around $3 million.

The SPHL is around $1.2 million. At that time, the ECHL was expanding more and more towards the midwest and west, so travel costs were increasing exponentially. You cannot travel from Roanoke, VA to somewhere like California by bus, unless you had no games in between.

It's difficult at times to figure a solid median for ticket pricing, as there are multiple variables at work. It could be issues to determine whether to lower prices during weekday games where attendance is the lowest, including over holidays and when other sporting events are in direct competition to hockey season.

Once attendance starts to see a substantial decrease from prior years, then ticket prices are usually increased to offset as much of the lost revenue as possible. 

• Thanks 1

And as sad as it sounds, I know people think tickets should be around $5.00 but in this economy, it would not be feasible. Thank inflation for that. People stop coming, revenue drops, and bills don't get paid. Bills are the #1 priority over anything when operating a hockey franchise, or any business for that matter.

23 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

Well, the first thing people need to remember, minor league hockey is still first and foremost a business. When operating costs increase, so do prices. Right now, the ECHL average operating cost is around $3 million.

The SPHL is around $1.2 million. At that time, the ECHL was expanding more and more towards the midwest and west, so travel costs were increasing exponentially. You cannot travel from Roanoke, VA to somewhere like California by bus, unless you had no games in between. 

I think you hit the nail on the head Sharkies, if I remember correctly the Express's last season was the first season after the ECHL-WCHL merger and the subsequent western expansion.

18 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

I think you hit the nail on the head Sharkies, if I remember correctly the Express's last season was the first season after the ECHL-WCHL merger and the subsequent western expansion.

See, the problem I find in business is people don't want to pay for the actual value of anything. I lost a roofing job because the estimate I gave was too much ($3,000 versus $2,400).

I went to a realty company that was looking to paint a duplex, but when I inspected the units, I saw holes and dents and cracks needing to be fixed, mold that needed to be removed, etc. I estimated around $1,200 but they declined because it was not for just a paint job, even though the paint job would violate numerous health and safety codes (for the mold).

What I find funny is people will gripe and complain about minor league hockey and attendance is never that of major league teams. But they will spend their life savings to see one game of a major league sport or hit movie theaters religiously, all of which are much more expensive.

It just baffles my mind. Minor league sports are not less important than major league or junior league sports. I guess people feel these players will never amount to anything than where they are.

• Like 1

Here are some stats that are of interest to Greg.

Roanoke has scored first in 5 games

The other 13 games, the opponent has scored first.

In the 5 games where Roanoke scored first, they are 4-1-0 (all 4 wins are 3 wins in OT and 1 win in SO)

In the 13 games where the opponent scores first, the Dawgs are 1-10-2.

I hope the stat where Roanoke scores first is a bit of a comfort.

Thanks for the Business Econ 101 Replies above, Sharkies.  When my wife & I started following minor pro hockey 6 seasons ago, I was happy to pay the going ticket prices anywhere we visited after being priced out of semi-regular NHL game attendance.  And even as minor pro & junior hockey ticket prices have risen in most arenas, I have understood the necessity for the teams & the venue management companies to keep up with inflation.  The only thing that still burns my colon is the tendency for teams to abandon their in-house ticket sales & hire 3rd-party sellers to do the job.  While this saves the teams some money in salaries & overhead, the ridiculous ticket seller fees make fans less inclined to purchase higher priced seats (which I presume can carry higher profit margins?) and in some cases will dissuade fans from purchasing tickets at all.  I just wish there was more thought put into such business decisions before the front offices burden a critical part of their customer base with fees of 33% or more of base ticket prices.  :disgust:

16 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Thanks for the Business Econ 101 Replies above, Sharkies.  When my wife & I started following minor pro hockey 6 seasons ago, I was happy to pay the going ticket prices anywhere we visited after being priced out of semi-regular NHL game attendance.  And even as minor pro & junior hockey ticket prices have risen in most arenas, I have understood the necessity for the teams & the venue management companies to keep up with inflation.  The only thing that still burns my colon is the tendency for teams to abandon their in-house ticket sales & hire 3rd-party sellers to do the job.  While this saves the teams some money in salaries & overhead, the ridiculous ticket seller fees make fans less inclined to purchase higher priced seats (which I presume can carry higher profit margins?) and in some cases will dissuade fans from purchasing tickets at all.  I just wish there was more thought put into such business decisions before the front offices burden a critical part of their customer base with fees of 33% or more of base ticket prices.  :disgust:

By this I assume you mean services/companies like TicketMaster?

If so, the problem with that is the teams cannot control that as the venue actually has the relationship with those services.

4 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Exactly, i see people constantly complaining about ticket prices they go to buy online.  You buy them online you pay about $5 more per ticket. Go buy your tickets at the Berglund Center before the games.  Most people dont know they are paying higher ticket prices buying them online.  Its crazy how many people it turns away from coming to a game.  Dont understand the fees for selling tickets online.  I could see maybe a couple bucks for the total purchase but $5 per ticket?

6 hours ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

Here are some stats that are of interest to Greg.

Roanoke has scored first in 5 games

The other 13 games, the opponent has scored first.

In the 5 games where Roanoke scored first, they are 4-1-0 (all 4 wins are 3 wins in OT and 1 win in SO)

In the 13 games where the opponent scores first, the Dawgs are 1-10-2.

I hope the stat where Roanoke scores first is a bit of a comfort.

Only stat you need to see is goals against a game 4.22.  No matter how good an offense is that high of a gaa per game is going to be a disaster.

6 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Exactly, i see people constantly complaining about ticket prices they go to buy online.  You buy them online you pay about $5 more per ticket. Go buy your tickets at the Berglund Center before the games.  Most people dont know they are paying higher ticket prices buying them online.  Its crazy how many people it turns away from coming to a game.  Dont understand the fees for selling tickets online.  I could see maybe a couple bucks for the total purchase but $5 per ticket?

You have to remember there are taxes, TM service fees and then usually a facility fee (which is applied to the facility rent).

7 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Only stat you need to see is goals against a game 4.22.  No matter how good an offense is that high of a gaa per game is going to be a disaster.

The only stat some fans care about is the W/L ratio.

58 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

You have to remember there are taxes, TM service fees and then usually a facility fee (which is applied to the facility rent).

Convenience fees

Service fees.

Fees to print at home.

Fees to pick up at will call.

Amusement fees.

Fees for using the interwebs.

Fees for blinking while checking out.

Fees for getting pissed at all the fees racking up on the bill.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Speedracer said:

Convenience fees

Service fees.

Fees to print at home.

Fees to pick up at will call.

Amusement fees.

Fees for using the interwebs.

Fees for blinking while checking out.

Fees for getting pissed at all the fees racking up on the bill.....

I especially love the last two and more importantly, the last one! lmao

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 3:53 AM, Greg81102 said:

Exactly, i see people constantly complaining about ticket prices they go to buy online.  You buy them online you pay about $5 more per ticket. ... Dont understand the fees for selling tickets online.  I could see maybe a couple bucks for the total purchase but $5 per ticket?

And that'd be $5 per seat for a team whose single game ticket prices are a bargain @ $8.00 - $20.00 each, making it at least a 25% adder.  As I said in my initial rant, it's not unusual to see a 33%+ fee pile on.  :banghead:

@Sharkies: I'm OK with the taxes & facility fee adders, because those are usually applied equally to on-line & phone orders (where available) & walk-up prices.  My primary gripe is that front offices offload their ticket sales work to 3rd-party sellers who seem to relish gouging customers with the sorts of fees that Speedracer cited above.  That practice does NOT encourage fans to support your team, which is the point of ticket sales, right?

ETA: At least the Rivermen ticket sales team has withstood the growing trend of outsourcing.  For years I've been able to ring up their office, talk to a real person (all very gracious & helpful), and purchase tickets for pick-up at will call on my arrival at the arena with nothing more than the standard fees applied.  No muss, no fuss, no anger.  Maybe the SPHL - and other leagues - could learn the meaning of "customer service" from them.  :goodjob:

On 12/17/2017 at 11:45 PM, SJSharkies4ever said:

By this I assume you mean services/companies like TicketMaster?

If so, the problem with that is the teams cannot control that as the venue actually has the relationship with those services.

Point taken, thanks.  I hereby redirect my anger & frustration at SMG, VenueWorks & their kind.  But this does not exonerate the team front offices, who should be more sensitive to the alienation of a portion of their valuable fan base due to fee gouging.

54 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

And that'd be $5 per seat for a team whose single game ticket prices are a bargain @ $8.00 - $20.00 each, making it at least a 25% adder.  As I said in my initial rant, it's not unusual to see a 33%+ fee pile on.  :banghead:

@Sharkies: I'm OK with the taxes & facility fee adders, because those are usually applied equally to on-line & phone orders (where available) & walk-up prices.  My primary gripe is that front offices offload their ticket sales work to 3rd-party sellers who seem to relish gouging customers with the sorts of fees that Speedracer cited above.  That practice does NOT encourage fans to support your team, which is the point of ticket sales, right?

ETA: At least the Rivermen ticket sales team has withstood the growing trend of outsourcing.  For years I've been able to ring up their office, talk to a real person (all very gracious & helpful), and purchase tickets for pick-up at will call on my arrival at the arena with nothing more than the standard fees applied.  No muss, no fuss, no anger.  Maybe the SPHL - and other leagues - could learn the meaning of "customer service" from them.  :goodjob:

You can do all that here in Roanoke too.  Its just today the first thing people want to do is jump online and buy them off the internet.  Then either not knowing they are paying outrageous prices that you could avoid buying other ways.  Or it just to expensive for them and turns them away from going to a game all together.