Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

ShaunS

Sam Ftorek Fired, Dan Bremner Hired as Head Coach

I knew it had to be coming.  Thank you.  Love how the new coach said fast and physical, that is the kind of team Roanoke would love to have.  Welcome Dan Bremner, we are glad to have you in Roanoke!!!!!

• Like 2

That's sad, what a nice guy with a great family!

Horrible coach, though.

I love the new pick as coach.  If he can bring the came hard nosed style he played with as a player the fans here would love it.  Now we all got what we asked for im now excited finally to see the guys in action.  So when they come back December 30th everyone needs to go out and support our new coach and our team!  

Getting to know Dan Bremner.  From his time as a player in Peoria.

Mid season changes are difficult but I think it's early enough to get things turned around. Best of luck to all involved. 

31 minutes ago, Speedracer said:

At least they didn't spend two weeks and botch 4 coaching hires/withdrawals to get their new coach... :whistle:

Yea that would be a disaster.  He sounds like he wanted the job.  I thought maybe they would hire someone with a little more experience after Ftorek.  But if he puts a team together and they play like he did while he was a player.  I believe the fans will be happy and be more like the teams we are use to having in Roanoke.  My biggest problem with Ftorek was he always tried the finesse game.  But his teams never showed the skills to play that way.  To be a finesse team you need to be able to pass the puck which we never could do. Im excited to see the next phase and what the new coach can do.  Even if he is unable to turn things around this year, the games should be a lot more entertaining if he can implement his style and get the guys to play to their potential all the time.  We always had a game here and there where they showed they can play good hockey.  Problem was next game they would come out as the same old team we have been accustomed to and play flat and lose big.  I cant place what the problem was with effort every game.  Not sure if our team were playing well or maybe the other team wasnt playing to their potential.  But we never could start a winning streak.  But im glad our management made the move.  Still plenty of time for us to improve and sneak into the playoffs and maybe make a splash.  But im just hoping for a more entertaining game every night, win or lose.  Will be a big improvement of what we have seen in the Ftorek era.

• Like 1

Went to practice this morning. He had them skating hard, preaches hustle and communication, being loud. Had them working on offense the whole practice, did a good drill of 1 on 1 in the corner battling for the puck making them work. High energy i really liked what i saw. Went to practices with Ftorek before and never saw any of the drills i saw today.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, evanlang11 said:

Went to practice this morning. He had them skating hard, preaches hustle and communication, being loud. Had them working on offense the whole practice, did a good drill of 1 on 1 in the corner battling for the puck making them work. High energy i really liked what i saw. Went to practices with Ftorek before and never saw any of the drills i saw today.

Bremner has always been a guy you loved on your team and hated on an opponent's team.  I could see him doing very well as a coach in this league.  He strikes me as having just enough of the right stuff in all areas of the game to succeed.

• Like 3

Sam is gone so there is no need to pile on, but he did leave a legacy for the new coach. Bremner comes into a second year team with fully one third of it's roster with little to no hockey pedigree. Yes there are exceptions to what I'm about to say, but damned few. There are reasons that young men don't play Tier 1 or 2 junior hockey. There are reasons players end up at ACHA club hockey. Those reasons are laid out after every game by several angry fans.......they can't pass, they can't catch a pass, they can't score, they don't hit, etc..............

Here's the big problem, how does Bremner deal with these guys? They virtually have no value, in my opinion. It will be interesting to see if he can turn this ship around without making big swings in the roster.

Oh, roster changes are coming I am sure. Sportsdad is right though....what do you have to trade and what can you get in return?

16 minutes ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Oh, roster changes are coming I am sure. Sportsdad is right though....what do you have to trade and what can you get in return?

Maybe he has some ringers that he can pull out of retirement.  Im not sure.  My hopes is he can atleast make an improvement with the guys we have here already for this year.  Not sure about finding new replacements for this year being much better then what we have.  Do well enough to make playoffs then pick up some talent at the end of college is my best guess.

I definately like everything ive seen and heard from him so far.  Sounds like a perfect fit for Roanoke!