Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

ShaunS

Suspensions from Peoria game

1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

Why blame anyone? Makes it sound like someone did something wrong. 

As Carey pointed out, Howe was at the door ready for a line change when he saw Phaneuf cross the center line obviously intent on joining in the fray. Sounds more like protecting his goalie than starting a fight - or brawl.

I guess the reason Detulleo (not Trudel, greg- or maybe we could call them Detutrudel or Trutulleo) didn't get a 1 game suspension was because Trask was already ON the ice for a line change -  yet the league determined "intent" for Trask's  3 game suspension.

Sounds to me SPHL trying to kiss up to the higher leagues trying to cut everything out of the game but picking and choosing when and what they enforce.  Crazy how an SPHL player gets suspended for 8 games for starting a fight even if he came off the bench.  But someone like Erik Johnson from the NHL can slash, then a blatant boarding penalty that could have injured someone for the rest of his life only gets 2 games.  All i can say is suspensions in all levels of hockey are messed up.

1 hour ago, Carey Mahoney said:

I would love to know who ordered the clock to run.  I can't imagine the clock operator did that alone.  I suspect direction had to come from the on-ice officials.  That time was up there through the scrum and at the conclusion of the fight.  It disappeared somewhere between Howe leaving the ice and the scrum breaking out near the benches.

After the fight was stopped the ref came over to the timekeeper and had him roll the clock down.

11 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

I guess the reason Detulleo (not Trudel, greg- or maybe we could call them Detutrudel or Trutulleo) didn't get a 1 game suspension was because Trask was already ON the ice for a line change -  yet the league determined "intent" for Trask's  3 game suspension.

Yea, wrong coach.  Not sure what i was thinking.  But your the only one that caught it.  My point is they need to explain the reasons for these suspensions more so we can understand the reasoning a little better

5 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Yea, wrong coach.  Not sure what i was thinking.  But your the only one that caught it.  

Gotta give props to the right person- TwistedBrass posted this first:

4 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

If it is how come Trudel didnt get suspended, fined, or anything when scott trask got suspended for leaving his bench for a fight? 

My first guess would be because Scott Trask plays for Huntsville.

11 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Gotta give props to the right person- TwistedBrass posted this first:

4 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

If it is how come Trudel didnt get suspended, fined, or anything when scott trask got suspended for leaving his bench for a fight? 

My first guess would be because Scott Trask plays for Huntsville.

Too many posts happening at once i never saw that one.

That's the only logical reasoning behind it.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I still like mine ;)

1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

As Carey pointed out, Howe was at the door ready for a line change when he saw Phaneuf cross the center line obviously intent on joining in the fray.

I appreciate the difference between him 'almost' being on the ice legally and him not. The rule isn't flexible on this count though. 

I would add that Phaneuf was clearly coming to pair up with the opposing goalie who had engaged the scrum, but this has no relevance on Howe's punishment.

Sounds more like protecting his goalie than starting a fight - or brawl.

You're going to pull something stretching like that Mac.

Hetenyi skated over to involve himself in the scrum. This clearly drew Phaneuf, which by any objective measure, would be seen as the one balancing the numbers.  Howe intercepts him from behind and immediately begins throwing punches. I'm not suggesting Howe's dirty, but he's not out there ringing a bell for the Salvation Army.

When Howe came in and engaged Phaneuf, none of the Peoria players made a move to stop it - either before or during the altercation.  

Gurtler appeared like he was going to intervene at the end when Phaneuf jersey got pulled up, but it is a little surprising.

In my experience, if anyone perceived this kind of activity, they would have jumped on the offending party, especially when a goalie was involved.

Agreed. If they had known how Howe actually came on, I fully expect they would have.

This sets up my remaining point. It's reasonable to expect that the players on the ice didn't immediately know how Howe entered the ice, but it's likely his intervention did enflame the mouthing between the coaches. His return to the ice didn't result in an escalation, but it could have. So, while we have some 'nearly legal', 'nothing malicious', and 'not terrible results', the fact remains that he did everything stated. 

If I'm being completely honest, I'm not even suggesting that I would've given Howe 8 games if it was my decision. The duration of a 6 game suspension seems to fit the bill for this circumstance by virtue of its own length. However, it's equally easy for me to see the league continuing its aggressive approach to reducing fights by implementing more penalty for this behavior as it is to simply avoid him being available for the rematch.

Take my thoughts for what they're worth (very, very little). Simply a different perspective from an uninvolved viewpoint.

Honestly, the coaches mouthing and Flegel swinging his stick towards the bench created that situation and the return of Howe from the bench a second time.

And I expect that's why the coaches have both been fined.

I guess the reason Detulleo (not Trudel, greg- or maybe we could call them Detutrudel or Trutulleo) didn't get a 1 game suspension was because Trask was already ON the ice for a line change 

Thanks for that detail. It would explain the departure from the norm.

7 minutes ago, ShaunS said:

I appreciate the difference between him 'almost' being on the ice legally and him not. The rule isn't flexible on this count though. 

I would add that Phaneuf was clearly coming to pair up with the opposing goalie who had engaged the scrum, but this has no relevance on Howe's punishment.

Hetenyi skated over to involve himself in the scrum. This clearly drew Phaneuf, which by any objective measure, would be seen as the one balancing the numbers.  Howe intercepts him from behind and immediately begins throwing punches. I'm not suggesting Howe's dirty, but he's not out there ringing a bell for the Salvation Army.

Gurtler appeared like he was going to intervene at the end when Phaneuf jersey got pulled up, but it is a little surprising.

Agreed. If they had known how Howe actually came on, I fully expect they would have.

This sets up my remaining point. It's reasonable to expect that the players on the ice didn't immediately know how Howe entered the ice, but it's likely his intervention did enflame the mouthing between the coaches. His return to the ice didn't result in an escalation, but it could have. So, while we have some 'nearly legal', 'nothing malicious', and 'not terrible results', the fact remains that he did everything stated. 

If I'm being completely honest, I'm not even suggesting that I would've given Howe 8 games if it was my decision. The duration of a 6 game suspension seems to fit the bill for this circumstance by virtue of its own length. However, it's equally easy for me to see the league continuing its aggressive approach to reducing fights by implementing more penalty for this behavior as it is to simply avoid him being available for the rematch.

Take my thoughts for what they're worth (very, very little). Simply a different perspective from an uninvolved viewpoint.

Zoltan was balancing the numbers we were on the pk when this happened storm had no need to come down 

2 hours ago, ShaunS said:

Again, he earned 6 games.   There's no argument.  The two extra is  what makes the league look bad in many people's eyes regarding the punishment.