Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

HockeyRoanoke

Lancer Lot Confirmed

19 posts in this topic

From Valley Youth Hockey

Ice Rink Returning to the Lancerlot Sports Complex

Vinton, VA – Plans were unveiled in Vinton earlier today that deliver a second full sheet of ice to Virginia’s Blue Ridge, as Penalty Box Partners LLC confirmed that they have purchased the Lancerlot Sports Complex. The previous owner of the Lancerlot, Henry Brabham is credited as the founder of the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) and a 2008 inaugural member of the ECHL Hall of Fame. The Lancerlot itself was previously home to the ECHL Virginia Lancers as well as the Roanoke Valley Rebels.

“The effort to establish additional ice in Virginia’s Blue Ridge has been a collective effort of local hockey and ice sport enthusiasts for several years,” stated Jason Pollard, Managing Partner, Penalty Box Partners, LLC. “The Lancerlot Sports Complex has a great deal of history and connection to ice hockey in Virginia’s Blue Ridge and our group is thrilled to be able to return ice to this facility in our effort to grow ice sports. All of our partners in this venture are committed to the community and have a true love and affiliation with ice hockey and ice sports. Penalty Box Partners maintains its’ local ties to the community as players, parents of players, fans of hockey and ice sports as well as actively living and working in the community.”

In recent years, the Lancerlot Sports Complex has primarily operated as a membership-based fitness center, equipped with exercise and weight training equipment, several basketball and racquetball courts, a walking track, and indoor and outdoor swimming pools.

The new owners plan to maintain the existing memberships and operations of the fitness center and swimming pools, although they are planning to modernize some of the fitness and exercise equipment and reallocate various interior spaces to increase overall efficiency and function of the building. Penalty Box Partners intends to maintain the current staff levels at the Lancerlot as well as add full and part time employees to support the ice rink.

Penalty Box Partners have contracted with Balzer and Associates and Lionberger Construction, both Roanoke based firms, to handle the design and construction of the $2 million dollar investment that will restore a full sheet of ice to one side of the facility that previously held several combination basketball and tennis courts. Construction is expected to begin by February and the owners expect the ice to be ready for community use in the fall of 2018. 

The financing of the complex was made possible through Freedom First Credit Union. “This project lent itself perfectly with our mission of helping communities thrive. The Lancerlot has an amazing history and we are happy to be a part of bringing ice hockey back to Vinton.” stated Freedom First President/CEO Paul Phillips.

The Lancerlot’s addition of a second sheet of ice in Virginia’s Blue Ridge will provide an additional practice location for Roanoke’s professional hockey team, the Rail Yard Dawgs, as well as serve as a primary practice and game location for several local collegiate club hockey teams and offer the region the ability to host hockey tournaments and skating competitions. The facility will also be reestablished as a base of operations for Valley Youth Hockey Association as well as the RVAHA and the RNCHL, both adult hockey associations. The second sheet of ice will also provide additional opportunities for adult recreational hockey, public ice skating and recreational figure skating.

We have a great partnership with Berglund Center and are so very appreciative of the facility and what they do to support hockey in Virginia’s Blue Ridge”, stated Bob McGinn, Majority Owner Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs. “The availability of a second sheet of ice within the region is critical to the success of the franchise and the growth of the sport at the youth level”.

22 minutes ago, Speedracer said:

Be mindful of the FHL...they want someone close to Winston-Salem.

You think Roanoke is going to leave the SPHL?

This is GREAT news.  It gives the Dawgs somewhere to practice when they lose ice at the Berglund Center, plus it provides huge growth opportunity for youth hockey.

My understanding is there is limited seating in the new building, but the fact that there's a second sheet of ice is HUGE!!!!

A Big Ole' Dawg Bone for the folks who made this happen!

Edited by Roanokehockey
  • Like 2

On 12/22/2017 at 2:08 PM, HockeyRoanoke said:

You think Roanoke is going to leave the SPHL?

I'm not saying that the RYD would leave the SPHL, I'm simply saying that the FHL would:

1. Want to put a team close to Winston Salem
  2. Compete with the SPHL for fans 

Roanoke is now giving them a golden opportunity to put a franchise in the area. Given their history of choice in arenas and the draws from said arenas, Lancerlot would be right up their alley.

They threw down the gauntlet with a team in Winston Salem, in our neighborhood. They've been itching for a turf war for years. This would put another feather in their cap.

Considering they apparently don't need fans to come to many of their games judging by their attendance history, I can tell you Lancerlot's manager probably got their voicemail box full of messages from FHL officials inquiring about the building.

3 hours ago, Speedracer said:

I'm not saying that the RYD would leave the SPHL, I'm simply saying that the FHL would:

1. Want to put a team close to Winston Salem
  2. Compete with the SPHL for fans 

Roanoke is now giving them a golden opportunity to put a franchise in the area. Given their history of choice in arenas and the draws from said arenas, Lancerlot would be right up their alley.

They threw down the gauntlet with a team in Winston Salem, in our neighborhood. They've been itching for a turf war for years. This would put another feather in their cap.

Considering they apparently don't need fans to come to many of their games judging by their attendance history, I can tell you Lancerlot's manager probably got their voicemail box full of messages from FHL officials inquiring about the building.

My understanding is that the Dawgs are actively involved in this particular venture so I don't see anyone responding to phone calls from the FHL

If the FHL was laser focused on a presence in Virginia, then Lynchburg and Liberty University might offer something in terms of a nice building for hockey, although beer sales wouldn't be allowed. Realistically, I don't see that happening either, but I think it's more viable than a second team in Roanoke.

• Like 1

I’m going to try and go over this week and get some photos of the Rebels logo before it’s torn down or painted over. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, robard said:

I’m going to try and go over this week and get some photos of the Rebels logo before it’s torn down or painted over. 

It has been a few years but the last time I was in the building there was also a Rampage logo in one of the stairways coming off of the area where the rink is going (currently basketball and tennis courts).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vicvegas said:

It has been a few years but the last time I was in the building there was also a Rampage logo in one of the stairways coming off of the area where the rink is going (currently basketball and tennis courts).

I always loved the Rampage logo. 

11 hours ago, robard said:

Don't forget the handy Gallery feature here on SPHL Forums.  It's a great way to share your hockey-related images with fellow hockey fans.  photo.gif

From my understanding the new practice rink is only going to hold maybe 500 spectators at most if that. Not a viable place for any team other than youth hockey or adult league hockey games.

12 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

From my understanding the new practice rink is only going to hold maybe 500 spectators at most if that. Not a viable place for any team other than youth hockey or adult league hockey games.

You must not follow the FHL:drama:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

You must not follow the FHL:drama:

Yeah, it would be perfect for North Shore,  with plenty of seats to spare. ^_^

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2017 at 8:55 AM, JMC-STL said:

Don't forget the handy Gallery feature here on SPHL Forums.  It's a great way to share your hockey-related images with fellow hockey fans.  photo.gif

I want to upload them but there is no Roanoke section. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

We'll get that taken care of ASAP, robard.

While you're in there Mac would you also add Birmingham, Evansville, and Macon.

• Like 1

I took a few pictures that I will post soon!

While I was taking pictures I started to think about how parts of the Lancer Lot seemed to be untouched since the Rebels and Rampage played there. I wonder if there is more old hockey stuff laying around somewhere in the facility. Does anyone have any contacts at the Lancer Lot? I would hate for pieces of Roanoke hockey history to be discarded. Would anyone be interested in working to preserve any Roanoke hockey history that may be at the Lancer Lot?

If anyone is interested in hockey history in Roanoke and would like to start some sort of a project I would be interested. I am more than qualified with a degree in history!