Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

GDT - Roanoke @ Peoria 12/23/17 8:15pm et

Just want to forget about this game.  Not sure if they are tired or what but so far 11 shots in 30 minutes of play after the first period.  Thats including a 5 minute major power play.  

I got a feeling to get his style of play implemented for our team there is going to be a ton of turnover on the team.  Just my opinion!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Who are the first 3 guys you would trade or place on waivers?

Spraggs, Schneider, Gandara. 

4 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Who are the first 3 guys you would trade or place on waivers?

Nick Schneider because he makes too many mistakes to be a veteran and I believe we could use our veteran status to find something better.  Plus he hasnt showed me what he does or impressed me being captain.  I believe we need a change with who is wearing the C.  Second Mike Moroso, the guy can score, but im not one to look at the +/- stat too much but its almost double anybody elses at -20.  Giving up way to many goals with him on the ice.  Last, I pick Ben Bauer.  Nothing has impressed me with his play.  There is a reason we picked him up off of waivers from Columbus last year.  These are just my opinions.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Nick Schneider because he makes too many mistakes to be a veteran and I believe we could use our veteran status to find something better.  Plus he hasnt showed me what he does or impressed me being captain.  I believe we need a change with who is wearing the C.  Second Mike Moroso, the guy can score, but im not one to look at the +/- stat too much but its almost double anybody elses at -20.  Giving up way to many goals with him on the ice.  Last, I pick Ben Bauer.  Nothing has impressed me with his play.  There is a reason we picked him up off of waivers from Columbus last year.  These are just my opinions.  

While I do agree with the plus/minus argument with Moroso, I will say that I like his hustle. I think under the new coach he may play well. 

Bauer, Schneider and Gandara...throw Tellstrom in there, too. I believe if Babenko and Tiutchenko buy in, they could really thrive under Bremner.

Bauer, Tellstrom, Goz. I'd move Schneider to a wing.  He has speed and a good shot, just not a good d-man. Spraggs needs to pass more, I know he is a scorer, put there are numerous times during games when he shoots, while a couple of guys are standing wide open.

Edited by Onetimer

1 hour ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

I have to ask, why Spraggs?

I’ve mentioned it many times here and have been attacked regarding my opinion but I think there are far better players that do not get opportunities on the team. Spraggs is slow and turns the puck over a lot. He’s got an okay shot but is very inconsistent. I just think he gets too much playing time and doesn’t really have much to show for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robard said:

I’ve mentioned it many times here and have been attacked regarding my opinion but I think there are far better players that do not get opportunities on the team. Spraggs is slow and turns the puck over a lot. He’s got an okay shot but is very inconsistent. I just think he gets too much playing time and doesn’t really have much to show for it. 

lmao i might not agree with you, but im not going to attack you.  Its nice to me to hear other people's opinions.  Not sure why some people take opinions so seriously and get all defensive.  My opinion on spraggs is he has proven to be a scorer everywhere he has been and put up good numbers with all 3 SPHL teams he has played for in the last couple years and even through college.  So I see him as an asset to any team he is on.

I feel Spraggs needs to be on the wing. He has had to play center too much under Ftorek with Tatrn hurt and Lee never playing for us.

1 minute ago, KennyLang1775 said:

I feel Spraggs needs to be on the wing. He has had to play center too much under Ftorek with Tatrn hurt and Lee never playing for us.

What happened to Lee?

13 minutes ago, robard said:

What happened to Lee?

10 minutes ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Biggest secret in Rail Yard Dawgs history...

I agree with that one.  All i heard was Brian mention it was a problem with him and something he had to get done before being able to play.  He didnt get into details and just said Ftorek didnt want to get into specifics.  But I dont think he is with the team anymore.  I havent seen him at a game in awhile.  I could be wrong but i would think if he was going to play it would have happened.

• Like 1

Yeah Lee never could get his paperwork right and went back to Korea earlier this month.

22 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

... Mike Moroso, the guy can score, but im not one to look at the +/- stat too much but its almost double anybody elses at -20.  Giving up way to many goals with him on the ice. ...

21 hours ago, robard said:

While I do agree with the plus/minus argument with Moroso, I will say that I like his hustle. ...

Judging a player using +/- rating on a team whose collective +/- is minus 28 is a slippery slope.  In conjunction you need to consider the TOI (time on ice) statistic, which I don't believe the SPHL tracks.  But in this instance if Moroso gets attention for his hustle, chances are he's out there a lot of minutes per game played and/or in key situations where goals are likely to be scored.  His SPHL stat sheet shows he's also one of only 5 RYD players to have played in all 20 games this season, which has given him ample opportunity to be on ice when a weak team has a goal scored against them.  :hmm:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Judging a player using +/- rating on a team whose collective +/- is minus 28 is a slippery slope.  In conjunction you need to consider the TOI (time on ice) statistic, which I don't believe the SPHL tracks.  But in this instance if Moroso gets attention for his hustle, chances are he's out there a lot of minutes per game played and/or in key situations where goals are likely to be scored.  His SPHL stat sheet shows he's also one of only 5 RYD players to have played in all 20 games this season, which has given him ample opportunity to be on ice when a weak team has a goal scored against them.  :hmm:

Good point!

I would advise not to get too get far ahead on critiquing the team with player specifics just yet under Bremner. But I will add that personally I wished they had not waived a talented Ryan de Melo or traded Paul Russell who could absolutely fly. I would have liked those two here for Bremner to work with but its too late for that now. And we have to consider too that Armstrong, Mueller, and Murray were called up recently to the ECHL and so three of the top players of what we had were not available this weekend. The Vandergunst call up puzzles me bigtime, and I must believe that some deal must have been in the works when he was signed to where maybe the Ftoreks worked at least a short call up assignment in a signing agreement.  Vandergunst appeared in only 21 SPHL  games last year, then 6 with Pensacola and 3 with Roanoke this year. So it was a very strange sequence of events indeed. Gandara can fly, he can shoot and he will hit. Schneider is a very good offensive and defensive defenseman. His mistakes come from having to do too much at times, which can kill the positioning for any player. Its going to be a matter of getting the players working much better together. Hockey is a real team sport where everyone must be in their right role and then go at that job 100%. So what I have seen so far  is too much indecisive fumbling around in their own end. And there is certainly a lack of crispness on transition and breakouts. And too there is not enough attacking the opponent net and that makes the opponent goalie's job way to easy with those long wrist shoots. And then there is the consistent missing the net with umpteen shots. If Roanoke shoots 30 shots that requires their goalie to save, they must miss the net with 20 more. Shots must be directed within the area of the net opening, not 2 feet above the crossbar  nor 3 feet wide which then often lead to those weird oddman breakouts the other way. All this can be fixed and will be fixed. But one New Year Resolution I hope the team takes, is no more lollygag slow lack of hustle changing on the fly that I have seen more often than not that leads to huge position advantages for the opposition. And to add to that, players must skate back hard. No loping or standing around at the opponent blue line.  The wingers and center should skate back hard and back check much better than we are seeing which will then allow the defensemen to play a blue line defense rather than that stuff of letting the opposition skate all the way in to the goal line and circle the net and create an instant cycle. I don't think we have bad players. We are just playing bad. And I am confident it will be changed with Bremner

• Like 4