Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

GDT - Roanoke @ Peoria 12/23/17 8:15pm et

31 posts in this topic

I think the right question is who would we KEEP. I'd say we keep Mele, Spraggs, Moroso, Barone, and maybe Tatrn. And Mueller, since he actually looks like he wants to play physical. 

5 hours ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

I would advise not to get too get far ahead on critiquing the team with player specifics just yet under Bremner. But I will add that personally I wished they had not waived a talented Ryan de Melo or traded Paul Russell who could absolutely fly. I would have liked those two here for Bremner to work with but its too late for that now. And we have to consider too that Armstrong, Mueller, and Murray were called up recently to the ECHL and so three of the top players of what we had were not available this weekend. The Vandergunst call up puzzles me bigtime, and I must believe that some deal must have been in the works when he was signed to where maybe the Ftoreks worked at least a short call up assignment in a signing agreement.  Vandergunst appeared in only 21 SPHL  games last year, then 6 with Pensacola and 3 with Roanoke this year. So it was a very strange sequence of events indeed. Gandara can fly, he can shoot and he will hit. Schneider is a very good offensive and defensive defenseman. His mistakes come from having to do too much at times, which can kill the positioning for any player. Its going to be a matter of getting the players working much better together. Hockey is a real team sport where everyone must be in their right role and then go at that job 100%. So what I have seen so far  is too much indecisive fumbling around in their own end. And there is certainly a lack of crispness on transition and breakouts. And too there is not enough attacking the opponent net and that makes the opponent goalie's job way to easy with those long wrist shoots. And then there is the consistent missing the net with umpteen shots. If Roanoke shoots 30 shots that requires their goalie to save, they must miss the net with 20 more. Shots must be directed within the area of the net opening, not 2 feet above the crossbar  nor 3 feet wide which then often lead to those weird oddman breakouts the other way. All this can be fixed and will be fixed. But one New Year Resolution I hope the team takes, is no more lollygag slow lack of hustle changing on the fly that I have seen more often than not that leads to huge position advantages for the opposition. And to add to that, players must skate back hard. No loping or standing around at the opponent blue line.  The wingers and center should skate back hard and back check much better than we are seeing which will then allow the defensemen to play a blue line defense rather than that stuff of letting the opposition skate all the way in to the goal line and circle the net and create an instant cycle. I don't think we have bad players. We are just playing bad. And I am confident it will be changed with Bremner

Nice post and welcome to the forums!  I totally agree 100% about the Paul Russell trade.  I believe out of all the players we have Russell had the most potential upswing.  He was constantly one of our players who you could count on to put up some shots each game.  He always seemed to atleast create one or two breakaways a game for himself.  He played 100% every shift on the ice and is by far the fastest skater ive seen in the SPHL.  Bremner would have absolutely loved having Russell on his team.  But Ftorek had to screw us one more time before getting fired.  Now he has been on a tear since joining Macon.

Awards Earned

Agree 100%!!

Ryan DeMeLo is a proven goalie with a Champion ring to prove it!

yes he is was struggling, so what, the entire team is struggling!!

The zilla Goalie is terrible Big and very slow!!

2 hours ago, slap shot said:

Agree 100%!!

Ryan DeMeLo is a proven goalie with a Champion ring to prove it!

yes he is was struggling, so what, the entire team is struggling!!

The zilla Goalie is terrible Big and very slow!!

Champion ring?  When has de Melo won a championship?  I know Zenzola won the sphl championship with Pensacola when he went 7-0 and was named the SPHL Playoffs MVP.  I have never seen or heard about de Melo winning any championship.

Awards Earned

58 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Champion ring?  When has de Melo won a championship?  I know Zenzola won the sphl championship with Pensacola when he went 7-0 and was named the SPHL Playoffs MVP.  I have never seen or heard about de Melo winning any championship.

What i wrote kind of reads like im a big Zenzola fan.  Im not, i was hopeful we were getting a great goalie but so far he hasnt shown me anything special.

Awards Earned