Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

HaLLoW WoLF

Rail Yard Dawgs on Right Track

11 posts in this topic

Last week I posted the following statement below and as I was watching the game in Fayetteville last night I would have to say that I do believe the Dawgs corrected much of the problems that I had pointed out. Tonight Fayetteville comes here and will most likely bring a brutal game being it a back to back contest following a loss and I do see that the good defenceman Campagna is back with the Marksmen from the ECHL. I really think the Dawgs will play tough and win this one tonight. I do hope the officiating is good, as there has been some reallypoorly called games this year. In about a little over one hour we shall see.

On 12/25/2017 at 4:46 PM, HaLLoW WoLF said:

I would advise not to get too get far ahead on critiquing the team with player specifics just yet under Bremner. But I will add that personally I wished they had not waived a talented Ryan de Melo or traded Paul Russell who could absolutely fly. I would have liked those two here for Bremner to work with but its too late for that now. And we have to consider too that Armstrong, Mueller, and Murray were called up recently to the ECHL and so three of the top players of what we had were not available this weekend. The Vandergunst call up puzzles me bigtime, and I must believe that some deal must have been in the works when he was signed to where maybe the Ftoreks worked at least a short call up assignment in a signing agreement.  Vandergunst appeared in only 21 SPHL  games last year, then 6 with Pensacola and 3 with Roanoke this year. So it was a very strange sequence of events indeed. Gandara can fly, he can shoot and he will hit. Schneider is a very good offensive and defensive defenseman. His mistakes come from having to do too much at times, which can kill the positioning for any player. Its going to be a matter of getting the players working much better together. Hockey is a real team sport where everyone must be in their right role and then go at that job 100%. So what I have seen so far  is too much indecisive fumbling around in their own end. And there is certainly a lack of crispness on transition and breakouts. And too there is not enough attacking the opponent net and that makes the opponent goalie's job way to easy with those long wrist shoots. And then there is the consistent missing the net with umpteen shots. If Roanoke shoots 30 shots that requires their goalie to save, they must miss the net with 20 more. Shots must be directed within the area of the net opening, not 2 feet above the crossbar  nor 3 feet wide which then often lead to those weird oddman breakouts the other way. All this can be fixed and will be fixed. But one New Year Resolution I hope the team takes, is no more lollygag slow lack of hustle changing on the fly that I have seen more often than not that leads to huge position advantages for the opposition. And to add to that, players must skate back hard. No loping or standing around at the opponent blue line.  The wingers and center should skate back hard and back check much better than we are seeing which will then allow the defensemen to play a blue line defense rather than that stuff of letting the opposition skate all the way in to the goal line and circle the net and create an instant cycle. I don't think we have bad players. We are just playing bad. And I am confident it will be changed with Bremner

• Like 2

A win at home in front of 3,588!!! Bremner coached the guys hard the entire game....not a card board cut out like we had behind the bench. It would be so nice to get six points with a win tomorrow night!!

• Like 2

Coach Bremner also came out to the concourse post-game to shake hands and thank the fans.

it’s still early, but I like what I see.

Go Dawgs!

• Like 2

I loved what I seen tonight as well. It's always hard having to fire the coach, but this group's effort tonight was night and day from the last game I seen at home. The players looked like they were having fun playing the game too again. Would be awesome to get another 2 points tomorrow night. Crowd had to love what they saw also, the loudest I've heard the Berglund Center in a while.

Great game, we came out a little slow out of the gate in the first period but after that everybody played hard.  Was the best game we have seen in a long time, if not the best.  First time the crowd has been into a game like that in forever.  It was nice seeing teammates taking up for their goalie.  Looked like a team out there and looked like they were having fun playing the game again.  Something I think they might have lost along the way with Ftorek.  Since we got Matt Beer, him on a line with Mele is on fire.  I like this new mix of guys.  Only question is when we start getting players back who will be the odd men out?  Congratulations to the Dawgs and Coach Bremner.  Im now really excited about the rest of the year now.  Been awhile since ive been this excited to go to a game!!!  Have to throw in there that Barone is a beast!!!

• Like 1

Awards

We're not there yet, but Bremner is confirming what I'd been saying from the get-go. We have some talent on this team, we just had an impotent coach behind the bench. It's going to take him a while to correct the fornicating clusterfornicate that Sam Ftorek left for him, but we're definitely on the right track. In 4 games as HC, he's 3-1. Sam was 5-11-2 with 0 regulation wins. 

5 minutes ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

We're not there yet, but Bremner is confirming what I'd been saying from the get-go. We have some talent on this team, we just had an impotent coach behind the bench. It's going to take him a while to correct the fornicating clusterfornicate that Sam Ftorek left for him, but we're definitely on the right track. In 4 games as HC, he's 3-1. Sam was 5-11-2 with 0 regulation wins. 

He's actually 2-1-1, however I agree with you on just needing the right coach. There was a different feel last night a new found excitement in the air. I expect a larger more rowdy crowd to pour in tonight, see you guys there and GO DAWGS!

• Like 2

Yes by no means are we there yet, but seeing improvement and that's all we asked for as fans of this team.

• Like 1

Let’s just hope our 4 D have enough gas in the tank for this third game of the weekend. Gonna be tough.

1 hour ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Let’s just hope our 4 D have enough gas in the tank for this third game of the weekend. Gonna be tough.

Good point. Thank goodness that this is Knoxville’s third game as well.

2 hours ago, KennyLang1775 said:

We just signed one.  Added to roster moves.  Big body 6'5".

Awards