Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

NewsBot

Dawgs fall short on New Year's Eve, 4-1

4 posts in this topic

ROANOKE, VA – The Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs out-shot the Knoxville Ice Bears, 31-20, but came up short as they were defeated by Knoxville, 4-1, Sunday night at Berglund Center. Knoxville’s Troy Davenport made 30 saves in the victory. ...

View the full article

Awards Earned

The Roanoke team was worn out physically and I think worn out emotionally as well after beating Fayetteville twice as they played Knoxville in the third game in three nights.  Knoxville plays a wide ice with long crisp passes and a fast transition which gave them a real advantage. The Dawgs fell back into the mode of falling back too far on defense and not blue lining the defense enough, allowing way to much cycling for the good passing Icebears.  And Roanoke's defense was shorthanded as well.  On offense the Dawg's previous sins arose once again with way too many shots missing the net. The Dawgs still played gutsy and I think that fatigue was the real killer here. The Dawg's got pretty physical in the last period and I think that showed something really significant. I think they realized they should have played that way from the start to slow up the good skating Knoxville team. And as well its good to see that after winning two games that the players did not enjoy losing the home game one bit. All the very good and successful hockey teams usually have an edge about them and do not accept losing well. So I think seeing that is a plus which will continue to grow.  

• Like 1

While I agree, for the most part, with WoLF's post, I still think we have a talent gap with most of the league that must be dealt with. Bremner has a bunch of third line talent to either coach up of replace. There is very little trade value. my 2 cents 

39 minutes ago, sportsdad said:

While I agree, for the most part, with WoLF's post, I still think we have a talent gap with most of the league that must be dealt with. Bremner has a bunch of third line talent to either coach up of replace. There is very little trade value. my 2 cents 

I totally agree.  With all of our call ups and FHL signings we might be the best team of the last 3.  But I believe the talent gap between us and the top 7 teams is pretty big.  Our style of play now is a lot more exciting but im not expecting a huge leap in the standings.  Maybe if we got a few of them back from the ECHL we could compete better.  But with that even happening, I still have my doubts.  We have yet to prove we can win many games against good or bad teams with consistency.  All I can say is now we are playing a style that could steal a few more games away from the top level teams.  We have also seen Barone is able to keep us in a lot of games with his great goaltending.  Zenzola is still up in the air for me.  If it was up to me id be saying Barone is starting to separate himself as our #1 goaltender.  All im really hoping for this year is to have more exciting games and sneak into the playoffs and by then maybe we can improve to try and make a dent in the playoffs.  Every team above us in the standings with the exception of Macon has constantly outplayed us.  Shown they have more speed and better passing.  With overall better skill.  Im atleast excited for the future now and think we got the right coach behind the bench.  If someone can get the best out of our players I believe Coach Brems can.  We are still a work in progress and dont think we will turn this around completely until he is able to recruit the players he needs.  I can finally say I think we are headed in the right direction now.

Awards Earned