Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
MarksmenArtist

Ryan Cruthers Steps Down

Posted (edited)

I think there is a little more to it than just taking a coaching job. Hopefully ownership will hire someone with experience this time.

This season is a Hugh learning curve for the new owners.

Edited by 72Vette

To Cruthers' credit, taking over the head coaching & Asst GM job for the reigning USHL Clark Cup Champs is quite an accomplishment.  I couldn't immediately find what happened to the previous head coach, but the Steel are still fighting for 1st place in the USHL's Eastern Conference so the team seems to be positioned for another Cup run.

According to the Steel's coaching change announcement from 2 days ago ...

“Ryan has shown a consistent commitment to player development, collaboration, innovation and team achievement, and look forward to his leadership ... while battling to defend our Clark Cup Championship,” said (Chicago Steel owner Larry) Robbins.

43 minutes ago, AfghanPiehole said:

Good bye and good riddance!  

Well, he did have a .500 record- better than Mazz or Espo- "Ryan Cruthers, the team’s Director of Operations, filled in as coach over the weekend as the Marksmen went 1-0-1."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Well, he did have a .500 record- better than Mazz or Espo- "Ryan Cruthers, the team’s Director of Operations, filled in as coach over the weekend as the Marksmen went 1-0-1."

It was also Mazz and Cruthers who talked owners into allowing the Bonar trade......Cruthers finally being gone is a good thing. A long time coming.....

1 hour ago, Marksmen3519 said:

It was also Mazz and Cruthers who talked owners into allowing the Bonar trade......Cruthers finally being gone is a good thing. A long time coming.....

And is Bonar playing anywhere in the SPHL right now??? I daresay even if Bonar were still in Fayetteville, the record would still be woeful. A good goalie can only do so much with no D in front of him and a low-scoring offense at the other end of the ice.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

And is Bonar playing anywhere in the SPHL right now??? I daresay even if Bonar were still in Fayetteville, the record would still be woeful. A good goalie can only do so much with no D in front of him and a low-scoring offense at the other end of the ice.

And the two pieces we traded for aren't here either. Neither of them are in the ECHL......they didn't do any homework.....they didnt talk to Bourke or Lamacchia beforehand.....I didnt say a thing about Bonar being here or not now did I??? Instead of losing out on 1 player (Bonar), we have now lost 3...

2 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

I remember reading a post somewhere that Mazzolini had nothing to do with  the Boner trade , it was out of his hands ........:eyes:

15 minutes ago, dnf said:

I remember reading a post somewhere that Mazzolini had nothing to do with  the Boner trade , it was out of his hands ........:eyes:

You were woefully misinformed.

4 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

Good bye and good riddance!  

Just a little bitter there Pie?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

That's a good point, very valid and factual but he was also instrumental in assembling the initial roster that got us near the bottom of the standings.

6 hours ago, averagejoe said:

Just a little bitter there Pie?

Nah, not at all.  Just being honest.  

21 hours ago, MarksmenArtist said:

You were woefully misinformed.

Woefully misinformed ??? I do know what I read and went back to look for the post , but alas it has been removed like some other posts in this forum have been in the past couple of weeks ....

On 1/5/2018 at 4:17 PM, dnf said:

Woefully misinformed ??? I do know what I read and went back to look for the post , but alas it has been removed like some other posts in this forum have been in the past couple of weeks ....

That’s strange.  Mazzolini was the head coach, yet had nothing to do with a trade for the mvp of the league?

I call BS

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2018 at 6:27 PM, Marksmen3519 said:

And the two pieces we traded for aren't here either. Neither of them are in the ECHL......they didn't do any homework.....they didnt talk to Bourke or Lamacchia beforehand.....I didnt say a thing about Bonar being here or not now did I??? Instead of losing out on 1 player (Bonar), we have now lost 3...

I agree, you guys got the shaft.  Bonar did play in 4 games before the call up going 4-0 with a 1.25 gaa.  Not saying his stats would have been that in Fayetteville, but 4 wins would be over half of the wins they have now.  But I dont see him coming back unless he just wants more playing time.  He has played in 9 games with a 6-1 record and a 1.94 gaa with a .939 save percentage.  He is still getting the shaft in Atlanta with them still playing the nhl prospect Daniel Vlader who is 8-10 with a 3.06 gaa with a .907.  But ive been watching pretty closely and a lot of the fans are wanting to see Bonar more.  To Bonar's credit they did finally tell the Milwaukee Admirals to take there nhl prospect Matt O'Connor who was really stinking in Atlanta and reassign him to another team.  But even if Bonar was released somebody would want him for his record and stats he's been putting up for a mediocre team in Atlanta.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Wow I just checked up on Matt O'Connor to see how he has been fairing since the move.  Not good 0-10-1 record for 3 teams.  No wonder they ditched him.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?encode=TRUE&pid=121975

We would take him in Fayetteville but he hasn't played in the FHL yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

I agree, you guys got the shaft.  Bonar did play in 4 games before the call up going 4-0 with a 1.25 gaa.  Not saying his stats would have been that in Fayetteville, but 4 wins would be over half of the wins they have now.  But I dont see him coming back unless he just wants more playing time.  He has played in 9 games with a 6-1 record and a 1.94 gaa with a .939 save percentage.  He is still getting the shaft in Atlanta with them still playing the nhl prospect Daniel Vlader who is 8-10 with a 3.06 gaa with a .907.  But ive been watching pretty closely and a lot of the fans are wanting to see Bonar more.  To Bonar's credit they did finally tell the Milwaukee Admirals to take there nhl prospect Matt O'Connor who was really stinking in Atlanta and reassign him to another team.  But even if Bonar was released somebody would want him for his record and stats he's been putting up for a mediocre team in Atlanta.

Someone like Norfolk?

2 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

We would take him in Fayetteville but he hasn't played in the FHL yet.

Fayetteville don’t have goaltending problems...

pretty obv to anyone that knows anything about hockey, that their problems are defense problems. 

Every goalie they have is 4.00 GAA or more, since they’ve gotten to Fayetteville. 

Prior to coming here, almost all of them were somewhere close to 2.00GAA with a .900SV% or higher. 

The goalies aren’t the problem.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarksmenManiac said:

Fayetteville don’t have goaltending problems...

pretty obv to anyone that knows anything about hockey, that their problems are defense problems. 

Every goalie they have is 4.00 GAA or more, since they’ve gotten to Fayetteville. 

Prior to coming here, almost all of them were somewhere close to 2.00GAA with a .900SV% or higher. 

The goalies aren’t the problem.  

It was a joke and I was being sarcastic since our team was built off FHL talent.  Relax!!!!!

6 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Looks like Matt O Connor just doesn't like playing in the ECHL, his AHL stats aren't that bad but ECHL stats and record are horrible.