Jump to content

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

  • Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here


Roanokehockey

Dawgs Top Pensacola in a Shootout

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

What a game!  What a gutsy performance.

Even more amazing is that the Dawgs didn't get back from Macon until 6:45 this morning while Pensacola arrived in Roanoke on Thursday.

Awesome job, Dawgs

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/roanoke_rail_yard_dawgs/rail-yard-dawgs-top-pensacola-in-shootout/article_9ee5eafc-07ca-5e14-8cdb-f27bdeb328dd.html

 

 

 

Edited by Roanokehockey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great win. Best team in the league, well rested and the boys get the W. Three D men plus Spraggs on the blue line. Parisi saw very limited Ice time. I like the way they are buying in to Bremner’s coaching. If they don’t, he will keep making moves. The fans were really appreciative of the effort tonight. How many minutes did Sova play? I would say in the mid 30’s.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KennyLang1775 said:

How many minutes did Sova play? I would say in the mid 30’s.

I think you're pretty close.  He was certainly out there a lot and was playing his heart out. He was all over the place hitting people and blocking shots. I know Ftorek said when he traded for him that he thought Joe was the best defenseman in the league last year.  Tonight, he certainly played like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great game!  I was not expecting a game like that tonight especially after going down 2-0.  But our guys fought hard and Barone was awesome in OT and the shootout.  Everybody played hard and was hitting.  Even thought they had an extra man on the team trying to give them the game as the referee.  Both penalties on our new guy Witzel was bullcrap.  First one was no interference, they were both playing the puck.  2nd one Witzel didnt even touch the guy if you watched the replay on the video board they played about 10 times in slow motion.  Glad to see our guys playing hard for a full game.  I think Coach Brems is whipping them into shape.  Barone needs to be our #1 goaltender.  He moves like a beast and can see the puck way better then Zenzola.  That Russell trade isnt looking so bad now.  Gustafsson has a nasty slap shot and very good stick handling.  But all around great game.  Lets hope to see another one just like it tomorrow.  Go Dawgs!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Great win. Best team in the league, well rested and the boys get the W. Three D men plus Spraggs on the blue line. Parisi saw very limited Ice time. I like the way they are buying in to Bremner’s coaching. If they don’t, he will keep making moves. The fans were really appreciative of the effort tonight. How many minutes did Sova play? I would say in the mid 30’s.

Sova is a minutes eater and hardly ever makes a mistake.  He even stays out on the ice skating around on media timeouts.  He sacrifices his body to stop any shot.  If it was up to me he would definately be wearing the C instead of Schneider who gave them another goal that wasnt Zenzola's fault turning the puck over.  Sova isnt the fastest but he plays his position well and always gives 100%.  Exactly what you would want to see in a captain.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Sova or Mele definitely deserve the C over Schneider. I would love to see a full compliment of D though. Be nice to have Goz and Armstrong in the line up now. Norfolk has 9 D on their roster and they had no games scheduled last night or tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Yes, Sova or Mele definitely deserve the C over Schneider. I would love to see a full compliment of D though. Be nice to have Goz and Armstrong in the line up now. Norfolk has 9 D on their roster and they had no games scheduled last night or tonight. 

It's time for Schneider to find a new home, Mele with the C and Sova with the A. See you guys tonight and Go Dawgs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was such a fun game! I agree that I’d like to see Mele or Sova wear the C. I hear a lot of Sova hate from fans that sit around me. I don’t get it. I think he’s great! I’m reading between the lines a bit and speculating but Bremner making Spraggs the 5th defensemen makes me think that Spraggs could be placed on waivers or traded. I think it is well known around here how much I dislike Spraggs so I would welcome that with open arms. As I said all along, and it’s been proven at this point I believe, Spraggs isn’t bad but there are far better players on the team and I’m glad that Bremner sees that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many people were at the game last night?? Could not make it but will be there tonight. Sounds like I missed a good one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richard 76 said:

How many people were at the game last night?? Could not make it but will be there tonight. Sounds like I missed a good one. 

When a fan guessed the attendance it said 3,000+ on the board. It looked like a lot less than that though. I think the cold weather kept some at home but the crowd was loud and into the game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, robard said:

That was such a fun game! I agree that I’d like to see Mele or Sova wear the C. I hear a lot of Sova hate from fans that sit around me. I don’t get it. I think he’s great! I’m reading between the lines a bit and speculating but Bremner making Spraggs the 5th defensemen makes me think that Spraggs could be placed on waivers or traded. I think it is well known around here how much I dislike Spraggs so I would welcome that with open arms. As I said all along, and it’s been proven at this point I believe, Spraggs isn’t bad but there are far better players on the team and I’m glad that Bremner sees that. 

Those hating on Sova either A. Know nothing about hockey or B. Haven't been paying close attention. The guy is playing 30 plus minutes a game, he's a tough and physical player. Schneider on the other hand, not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Those hating on Sova either A. Know nothing about hockey or B. Haven't been paying close attention. The guy is playing 30 plus minutes a game, he's a tough and physical player. Schneider on the other hand, not so much.

I agree 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, richard 76 said:

How many people were at the game last night?? Could not make it but will be there tonight. Sounds like I missed a good one. 

The highest number on the board was 3000 and some but the middle amount was 2614 and that was the answer. It is now on www.thesphl.com.  it is finally back up and running after a few days being down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Yes, Sova or Mele definitely deserve the C over Schneider. I would love to see a full compliment of D though. Be nice to have Goz and Armstrong in the line up now. Norfolk has 9 D on their roster and they had no games scheduled last night or tonight. 

 

14 hours ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Great win. Best team in the league, well rested and the boys get the W. Three D men plus Spraggs on the blue line. Parisi saw very limited Ice time. I like the way they are buying in to Bremner’s coaching. If they don’t, he will keep making moves. The fans were really appreciative of the effort tonight. How many minutes did Sova play? I would say in the mid 30’s.

I noticed we didnt play Parisi that much and where was Ben Bauer?  Im wondering if this isnt the coaches master plan.  It seemed to work.  I also loved the new breakout system with either Mele or Vernace carrying the puck all the way up the ice on the PP.  You can tell big time the coach switching things up and coaching the guys.  Something you never seen from Ftorek.  It was always the same and not much change from game to game in strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching ice hockey is a very good thing. But watching ice hockey with the addition of knowing the game is an even better thing. Then Roanoke fans are very exuberant and really getting back into the desire to win. And that is absolutely awesome. But I am seeing some negativity from some fans and its very misdirected. It seems like one of the recent  targets this year's negativity is directed towards captain Nick Schneider. Let me point something out for any fan who does not recognize the value of Nick Schneider. Last night while tied at 4-4, with 1:30 left in overtime and the face off in their own end, and down a man to a penalty Coach Bremner sent out Schneider, Sova and Mele. That tells a story in itself of who he had confidence in and wanted on the ice for the do or die. Schneider is one of the SPHL's most talented players and one of the hardest working players on the ice. His skills of defense and positioning are awesome and his offensive skills are far, far superior than most players in this league.  So do not let the lack of knowledge or understanding of ice hockey create a spreading cancer and mess up your own watching of the game by creating some false notion that Nick Schneider is not worthy. Any team in the SPHL would take him if they could get him. And with his skills of today, and the only reason he is not in the ECHL is his age of 33.

      And what I am trying to explain is that it goes beyond the negativity just toward Schneider, but on any player. To make my point, last night when Pensacola scored two goals for a 2-0 lead, a fan jumped up and loudly hollered "We would be better without a goalie". Then they stood there and clapped that Matt Zenzola was removed while adding in some other taunts. The obvious fact to anyone who knows anything about hockey is that Zenzola had no chance on either goal of which both were defensive breakdowns creating an odd man situation which made any save impossible. Coach Bremner did not take Zenzola out to punish him nor did Coach feel Zenzola could have stopped either puck. He took him out as a rally point for his troops. He knew the game had to turn right then somehow or it would get away. And indeed they all responded. 

      The poster "Enforcer" hit the nail on the head starting this topic saying "What a gutsy performance."  That is exactly what it was. Barone's play was near miraculous. And every player did everything they could to win, and it took every bit of it. But even that said, we know Pensacola has a better team right now and last night could have more than easily been their win. So my advice is be positive. Learn the game. Most all fans do feel Coach Bremner will do everything he can to win. But don't fall into pattern thinking that there can be no mistakes by players or that it is somebody's personal failure if the other opponent makes some good plays. Cheers and encouragement will go much farther than ignorant catcalls. So let's stay positive and try to win another game tonight against the leagues best team.   

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

Watching ice hockey is a very good thing. But watching ice hockey with the addition of knowing the game is an even better thing. Then Roanoke fans are very exuberant and really getting back into the desire to win. And that is absolutely awesome. But I am seeing some negativity from some fans and its very misdirected. It seems like one of the recent  targets this year's negativity is directed towards captain Nick Schneider. Let me point something out for any fan who does not recognize the value of Nick Schneider. Last night while tied at 4-4, with 1:30 left in overtime and the face off in their own end, and down a man to a penalty Coach Bremner sent out Schneider, Sova and Mele. That tells a story in itself of who he had confidence in and wanted on the ice for the do or die. Schneider is one of the SPHL's most talented players and one of the hardest working players on the ice. His skills of defense and positioning are awesome and his offensive skills are far, far superior than most players in this league.  So do not let the lack of knowledge or understanding of ice hockey create a spreading cancer and mess up your own watching of the game by creating some false notion that Nick Schneider is not worthy. Any team in the SPHL would take him if they could get him. And with his skills of today, and the only reason he is not in the ECHL is his age of 33.

      And what I am trying to explain is that it goes beyond the negativity just toward Schneider, but on any player. To make my point, last night when Pensacola scored two goals for a 2-0 lead, a fan jumped up and loudly hollered "We would be better without a goalie". Then they stood there and clapped that Matt Zenzola was removed while adding in some other taunts. The obvious fact to anyone who knows anything about hockey is that Zenzola had no chance on either goal of which both were defensive breakdowns creating an odd man situation which made any save impossible. Coach Bremner did not take Zenzola out to punish him nor did Coach feel Zenzola could have stopped either puck. He took him out as a rally point for his troops. He knew the game had to turn right then somehow or it would get away. And indeed they all responded. 

      The poster "Enforcer" hit the nail on the head starting this topic saying "What a gutsy performance."  That is exactly what it was. Barone's play was near miraculous. And every player did everything they could to win, and it took every bit of it. But even that said, we know Pensacola has a better team right now and last night could have more than easily been their win. So my advice is be positive. Learn the game. Most all fans do feel Coach Bremner will do everything he can to win. But don't fall into pattern thinking that there can be no mistakes by players or that it is somebody's personal failure if the other opponent makes some good plays. Cheers and encouragement will go much farther than ignorant catcalls. So let's stay positive and try to win another game tonight against the leagues best team.   

   

Well your entitled to your opinion like everyone else.  All we said was Sova deserves the captain over Schneider.  Number 1 rule in hockey, don't put errant passes right in front of your net.  If in doubt shoot it off the boards.  This isnt the first time he has done it and im sure it wont be the last.  But about knocking people's knowledge of hockey.  Most people here are very knowledgeable of hockey.  Ive been going to and watching hockey for over 30 years.  You say they put Schneider, Sova, and Mele on the ice.  Well they should be, they are veterans on the team.  But just as they are veterans, Schneider should know not to throw the puck out in front of his own net.  Giving the other team quality scoring chances that Zenzola wasnt even expecting.  This is a message board to talk about the games whether its good or bad.  Everything doesnt need to be positive.  I bet Coach Brems doesnt just talk about the positive things. Im also pretty sure Schneider heard from his coach for making a play like that.  Take it as constructive criticism and learn from it and try not to do it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, robard said:

That was such a fun game! I agree that I’d like to see Mele or Sova wear the C. I hear a lot of Sova hate from fans that sit around me. I don’t get it. I think he’s great! I’m reading between the lines a bit and speculating but Bremner making Spraggs the 5th defensemen makes me think that Spraggs could be placed on waivers or traded. I think it is well known around here how much I dislike Spraggs so I would welcome that with open arms. As I said all along, and it’s been proven at this point I believe, Spraggs isn’t bad but there are far better players on the team and I’m glad that Bremner sees that. 

I think Bremner sees the value of Riley Spraggs. Was playing D while Parisi sat most of the game. Then when we power plays, he was up front taking face offs. Big fan of Spraggs here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KennyLang1775 said:

I think Bremner sees the value of Riley Spraggs. Was playing D while Parisi sat most of the game. Then when we power plays, he was up front taking face offs. Big fan of Spraggs here.

I don’t really see much value in him. To me, he’s just an average player. He has his moments I guess but his play is extremely dull and slow. There’s no since of urgency or passion when he plays. He’s fine to have on the team as a 3rd or 4th line player or as an extra defensemen but he should not be on the ice all of the time. I’d rather see Babenko or Vernace on the ice more. I guess Spraggs was the top guy last year when Mele was hurt and Beer wasn’t on the team but honestly I thought trading Lamachia for Spraggs was a mistake. Sure, he was small but he played with a lot more urgency and passion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg,, I don't come on a board to dress anyone down nor did I feel I came anywhere close to doing that and am sorry if I somehow offended you or anyone else. I am just stating a fact that fans, like we all are, can get carried away with micro managing from the stands about our home team to a point that it gets like a growing cancer of disdain towards particular players who really do not deserve that degree of criticism. Everyone on this team has made lots of mistakes game after game. I could point out mistakes Schneider has made, Sova has made, and Mele has made,  as well as with the rest of the players both here and gone.  And much of it has been a result of the other teams having a deeper resource of talent that can force those mistakes. In the Schneider incident you mention with the bad pass, there also was a player who I will not mention that fumbled that pass onto the opponents stick. And I don't name the player because it is moot. It was all an error, a breakdown, a bad play, a play they wish they had back, and yet also a good forechecking goal by the opponent. But gosh darn this team is coming alive now and backbiting some mistakes just serve no purpose. I have never seen a goal overturned because fans complained about a mistake or because a player hung his head low enough.  And you are correct, Bremner will handle mistakes. He handles many mistakes every game and will continue to do so. And he is changing the tone and tempo of the games. Its not going to be mistake free. As we saw in the rubber match with Pensacola, there will be some more losses. But damn wasn't that a thrilling game.

       But back to the point,, you used your accolades to give me a little dressing down so let me say just for information purposes only that I have 51 years of experience in ice hockey and actively played 15 years. And yet I will admit that does not make me perfect on what I see on the ice or how I weigh it. I too have to temper myself down when seeing mistakes. What I try to keep in mind is that mistakes can happen and thus they will happen at times. And you are correct, Bremner will handle mistakes. He handles many mistakes every game and he will continue to coach against bad play and as well coach for good play. And I like what he is doing.

          Now as to the Captain situation,, and about who wears the C.  In hockey, the team captain might not be close to being considered the best player on the team. Very frequently in hockey, the team captain is not the best skater, or the best scorer or the toughest guy on the team. It is something much more important than raw, pure skill: It's leadership. And its also requires vast knowledge of the game and the ability to discern the rules of the game in communication with the referee. The Captain of the team should have many qualities and they are too numerous to mention here. And there have even been elaborate books written on the subject of what it takes to be the captain of an ice hockey team. Being Captain indeed is an honor,,but it is not bestowed on any player simply to honor them. It is bestowed on a player by the Coach who feels that player has all the correct leadership skills to be the Captain of the Team. If the Coach is ejected from the game, its usually the Captain that steps in. Now as to whether Sova or Mele could be the Captain, yes I believe they could and believe they could do it well. But it is not just because they are very good players. I see leadership in them too.  But the person running the daily operations of the team is Dan Bremner and it is he who will hand out the "C".  And he has done so. If he ever changes it, I will understand and if he does not I will understand. I do not have the hands on knowledge of the day to day actions of the team to pick the Captain. The Coach will have the best knowledge of that.  All I ask is that if you have faith in Bremner, then please trust him with his choice of "C".  On the one other issue I made a point to show  was Mele, Schneider and Sova  (and Barone) were on the ice playing shorthanded  in crunch time, and that Bremner sent them out there. You said that I was incorrect and it was because they are the veterans. And no I was not incorrect.  It was because Bremner knew it was the best three players he had in that situation and I am so proud of them coming thru. And I know you were too. 

      But all said, do know that I recognize you love hockey and see that you do know hockey well as do the other people on the board. And I was not pointing anything at you personally nor personally at anyone else.  And as you said everyone has an opinion. I just feel like it is better to enlighten people to focus more on "what is" rather than "What is not". I just wanted to project some alternative positive thought, or at least to take a time out on the negative and open up a little more space for the positive. Right now I do not see any undeserving players on this team but I realize more changes will come. Its the SPHL. The Dawgs are coming together stronger every game. Mele actually skated faster the last two games than all year. He was flying. My only downside on anything is that there are only 13 regular season home games left. And I think those games like the last several will be very enjoyable to watch.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

Greg,, I don't come on a board to dress anyone down nor did I feel I came anywhere close to doing that and am sorry if I somehow offended you or anyone else. I am just stating a fact that fans, like we all are, can get carried away with micro managing from the stands about our home team to a point that it gets like a growing cancer of disdain towards particular players who really do not deserve that degree of criticism.  

No need to apologize, im not easily offended.  Was just stating that most on here that I know are very knowledgeable of hockey.  If I didnt stand up and turn around and choke a fan that was heckling Joe Sova all game long the last game, I can handle a little ribbing in the forums.  So I for one can relate to fans micro managing from the stands.  But he paid his money just like you and I did, so he can have his opinion even if I didnt agree with anything he yelled all night.  We need the casual fans like that coming to the games to have a successful franchise.

2 hours ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

In the Schneider incident you mention with the bad pass, there also was a player who I will not mention that fumbled that pass onto the opponents stick. And I don't name the player because it is moot. It was all an error, a breakdown, a bad play, a play they wish they had back, and yet also a good forechecking goal by the opponent.

I dont remember it going down like that.  Maybe someone else can chime in on what they seen.  But what I saw was Schneider had the puck on the left side of the net with a forechecker closing on him fast. Instead of doing the safe thing and shooting it off the boards out of the zone. He made a bad decision and hurried a bad pass trying to go across the ice to a teammate on the right side but an opposing player was in the passing lane in front of the net and intercepted it and put it right in the net past Zenzola.  I dont recall a teammate ever fumbling his pass before the turnover.

3 hours ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

 On the one other issue I made a point to show  was Mele, Schneider and Sova  (and Barone) were on the ice playing shorthanded  in crunch time, and that Bremner sent them out there. You said that I was incorrect and it was because they are the veterans. And no I was not incorrect.  It was because Bremner knew it was the best three players he had in that situation and I am so proud of them coming thru. And I know you were too.   

 

On 1/6/2018 at 4:10 PM, Greg81102 said:

You say they put Schneider, Sova, and Mele on the ice.  Well they should be, they are veterans on the team.  But just as they are veterans, Schneider should know not to throw the puck out in front of his own net.

If you read what I wrote, I didnt say you were incorrect.  I agreed with you.  I just said they should be out there because they are the veterans on the team.  Meaning they have been playing hockey the longest and have the most experience in playing in the most critical parts of the game.

3 hours ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

And as you said everyone has an opinion. I just feel like it is better to enlighten people to focus more on "what is" rather than "What is not". I just wanted to project some alternative positive thought, or at least to take a time out on the negative and open up a little more space for the positive. Right now I do not see any undeserving players on this team but I realize more changes will come. Its the SPHL. The Dawgs are coming together stronger every game. Mele actually skated faster the last two games than all year. He was flying. My only downside on anything is that there are only 13 regular season home games left. And I think those games like the last several will be very enjoyable to watch.        

Im just the type of fan who is going to praise you when you do good, but im also going to call you out when you do bad. You cant become a great team if you just talk about the positives.  The negatives need to be addressed and corrected. So I guess that would make me like Coach Bremner and not like Coach Ftorek.  I love straight shooting coaches.  When Coach Brems called the team out at the beginning saying most of them were out of shape and didnt play as a team was the most truthful thing ive seen from either Dawgs coaches so far. Ftorek would just make excuses and say the guys need to play better. It took one weekend for Coach Brems to figure out what the problem was that Coach Ftorek never could solve.  If your a true fan you can tell our players are in way better shape now.  They use to seem to take games off from playing hard. During the last game on a 3 in 3 games under Ftorek you could tell the players were gassed at the end.  Since Bremner has taking over they have played hard every game.  Last weekend we had to ride a bus 16 hours play a game in Macon and come home and play a well rested 1st place team that was playing their first games of the week.  For the most part, I thought we outplayed them both nights.  At the end of the last game, I believe Roanoke looked like they had more gas left in their tanks then Pensacola did.  But I do agree with you the team is getting stronger and stronger.  They seem to be buying into to their new coach and things seem to be looking up for Roanoke.  Im definately excited for the rest of the season!!  Go Dawgs!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.

     
Premium Theme Designed By IBTheme.com

×