Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Roanokehockey

Dawgs Comeback Falls Just Short (Roanoke Times)

19 posts in this topic

The Roanoke Times story on last night's game.

Interesting Puck Note:  "The Dawgs went back to their new look, skating in an all-red kit with blue trim and a blue stripe, a departure from the dual shades of blue with gold trim that’s been the team’s primary uniform to date. The red sweaters will now be the primary home outfit."

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/roanoke_rail_yard_dawgs/rail-yard-dawgs-fall-to-pensacola/article_43923a31-f883-5669-a297-e92cd4bb28e5.html

Awards Earned

If it is true I like it, but he also said Sean Bonar was in net for Pensacola so I'm not sure I put a lot of stock in what he says.

If that is true, I hope they start selling them. 

5 minutes ago, robard said:

If that is true, I hope they start selling them. 

Mickey mentioned after the first game they wore them that they planned on selling them sometime after the first of the year so hopefully they will show up at Sports Haven here in the next week or so.

6 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

Mickey mentioned after the first game they wore them that they planned on selling them sometime after the first of the year so hopefully they will show up at Sports Haven here in the next week or so.

I was told they were not going to sell them but Sports Haven is pushing to sell them next year. 

I really do like the jerseys but do we need an identity shift already?

4 minutes ago, robard said:

I was told they were not going to sell them but Sports Haven is pushing to sell them next year. 

I really do like the jerseys but do we need an identity shift already?

I dont think its about an identity shift as much as they had to get the red gloves instead of blue ones.  With very little red in the jersey, they dont look very good together.  They then changed the pants to red but still looks awkward with little red in the jersey.  

Awards Earned

3 minutes ago, robard said:

I had initially heard that as well, but someone asked Mickey about them and he gave that response about the first of the year, thinking back now I actually think he said the second half of the season not first of the year and I thought first of the year because thats when the half way point of the season happens to be.

48 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

If it is true I like it, but he also said Sean Bonar was in net for Pensacola so I'm not sure I put a lot of stock in what he says.

Not sure who the article was by.  Never heard of a Christian Moody doing a Dawgs article.  But if i had a guess he didnt want to look up how to spell Alex Sakellaropoulos as many times as he mentioned Bonar.  :eyes:

Awards Earned

Just now, Greg81102 said:

Not sure who the article was by.  Never heard of a Christian Moody doing a Dawgs article.  But if i had a guess he didnt want to look up how to spell Alex Sakellaropoulos as many times as he mentioned Bonar.  :eyes:

The really sad part is they have his name correct in the caption of one of the pics.

1 minute ago, Greg81102 said:

lmao Either that or he likes talking about the first thing that pops up!!!:wth::edited:

Awards Earned

The media coverage of hockey in Roanoke is terrible. What I should say is, sports coverage of anything other than Virginia Tech is terrible. 

*Breaking news from WDBJ7*

”This just in, Virginia Tech still has a football team! More on this breaking story at 11!”

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Not sure who the article was by.  Never heard of a Christian Moody doing a Dawgs article.  

Moody has been a sports writer for the Roanoke Times for quite a while, but he primarily covers high school sports.

When Virginia Tech and UVA both have home games, the Times ends up being short staffed.  They used to assign Randy King to cover the Dawgs in those situations but he retired in December.  At least they sent someone to cover the game.  Let's be thankful about that.

Doesn't excuse the inaccuracy on Bonar, but at least he was there.

Awards Earned

At least y'all have a paper that acknowledges you have a hockey team. <_<

• Like 1

Awards Earned

Ive actually been happy about the coverage.  Roanoke Times usually puts an article out after a game.  I see coverage by all the news channels, maybe not all the time.  I dont check every game.  WDBJ7 even sponsored one of the last games. One of the radio stations seem to sponsor quite a few of our games.  When listening to the radio ive even heard djs mentioning when games are going on.  So I really cant complain much at all.  It could definately be a lot worse just like MacGuy said.  Just hope it doesnt turn into something like that over the years being in the league as long as Knoxville.  All the media lose interest and forget about Roanoke hockey.

Awards Earned

does anyone know what is going on with Ben Bauer and hope Sova is just tired and banged up a little and not hurt. Does anyone think we will get some call ups back anytime soon. 

6 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Ive actually been happy about the coverage.  Roanoke Times usually puts an article out after a game.  I see coverage by all the news channels, maybe not all the time.  I dont check every game.  WDBJ7 even sponsored one of the last games. One of the radio stations seem to sponsor quite a few of our games.  When listening to the radio ive even heard djs mentioning when games are going on.  So I really cant complain much at all.  It could definately be a lot worse just like MacGuy said.  Just hope it doesnt turn into something like that over the years being in the league as long as Knoxville.  All the media lose interest and forget about Roanoke hockey.

I hear things about the team which is good but it’s just things like the results of the game or an upcoming game. I’d like to see player and coach interviews. I know that Greg Roberts has interviews of players and what not but I want to see more of that on the news. Even if the news doesn’t do it maybe the team could. They had the interview with Babenko a while back and that was cool. I’d like to get to know the players more!

22 minutes ago, robard said:

I hear things about the team which is good but it’s just things like the results of the game or an upcoming game. I’d like to see player and coach interviews. I know that Greg Roberts has interviews of players and what not but I want to see more of that on the news. Even if the news doesn’t do it maybe the team could. They had the interview with Babenko a while back and that was cool. I’d like to get to know the players more!

I will agree with that much.  Would love to know more about the players.  Roanoke Times does one every once in awhile.  Last one was the nice article on Mitchell Mueller and him being an almond farmer back in CA.  But yes, most of the coverage I see is just recaps of games or upcoming games and the promotion.  Brian Gardner does usually interview somebody before each game and lists them all in The Dawg Talk Blog that we have posted in the forums but im sure youve read and listened to them.

Awards Earned

1 hour ago, richard 76 said:

does anyone know what is going on with Ben Bauer and hope Sova is just tired and banged up a little and not hurt. Does anyone think we will get some call ups back anytime soon. 

Bauer was seen was his arm in a sling not long ago. I believe Sova took a shot off his skate maybe where there was no padding late in the game last night. Let’s hope it is not too bad. Tatrn hopefully will be ready to go soon.

9 minutes ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Bauer was seen was his arm in a sling not long ago. I believe Sova took a shot off his skate maybe where there was no padding late in the game last night. Let’s hope it is not too bad. Tatrn hopefully will be ready to go soon.

I figured he had to be injured.  When a healthy scratch they usually come out and warm up with the team.  For Sova, im not sure how he isnt hurt every game sacrificing his body playing all those minutes and blocking every shot he can throw his body in front of.  He must live in an ice tub after the games.  He is definately one guy that would be impossible to replace.  Will be nice getting Tatrn back in the mix.  Another big body that can find the back of the net.

• Like 1

Awards Earned