Jump to content

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

  • Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here


antman

Surprised?? We Lost Again

54 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MarksmenManiac said:

Plenty of reasons for players to want to come here. Fayetteville is actually a great little Hockey town. Players like the down home feeling they get from our fans.  How about being around the greatest soldiers in the world?  How about playing in a building that’s very nice, for good fans, Owners, boosters, front office staff?  Guess what, all that counts.  Players like Fayetteville.  We just aren’t good right now.  But who cares?  I have Fun at the games and so does my wife and kids.  You guys are just whiners.  Make me sick reading your garbage.  Go cry at some other teams games.  You should be happy we even have a team.  Do you remember MacNaught was gonna fold it?   Smh.  

Thanks for all those things but I already knew about the greatest soldiers in the world and that it's a nice building and good fans.  But let's look at the facts here.  We finally have a great ownership and front office staff which was lacking until this season.  The fans are great too, always have been.  As for saying we are whiners, thanks for the kind words.  We really appreciate it.  As for MacNaught folding the team, where did you see this?  Do you have proof of this?  It sounds like a rumor or baseless statement with no facts to back it up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, MarksmenManiac said:

Stop whining you two.  Smh.  Go to the games and have fun.  If they don’t win you can’t have fun?   Pathetic

I don't know you're asking something or making a statement but inadvertently leaving a question mark at the end of it.

Edited by AfghanPiehole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Yes, MacNaught and other owners were going to shut the whole FireAntz organization down early last year. Until our new owners put a vested interest in purchasing the team, they were going to let it fold - with no regards to the players,  season ticket holders, or sponsors. Like Howard Bullard said in the press conference about rebranding...they had taken the team as far as they could and were burned out until new owners showed up.

Can I (or anyone else) provide a document or physical proof here on the forums to "prove" all this? No. Nor do we need to. Those of us close enough to the situation know how it went down...and what Maniac says is 100% truth. Not rumor or baseless. Take it for what it's worth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
7 hours ago, scline74 said:

The game experience in Fayetteville is awesome win or lose. Every game has something different to offer and even though our stats or standings aren't good the attendance keeps going up. People are there to have a good time and guess what they are doing just that. 

This pretty much sums it up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

Thanks for all those things but I already knew about the greatest soldiers in the world and that it's a nice building and good fans.  But let's look at the facts here.  We finally have a great ownership and front office staff which was lacking until this season.  The fans are great too, always have been.  As for saying we are whiners, thanks for the kind words.  We really appreciate it.  As for MacNaught folding the team, where did you see this?  Do you have proof of this?  It sounds like a rumor or baseless statement with no facts to back it up.

Ask MacNaught if the team was folding.  He told me himself. He works at the auto mall.  Just call him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 hours ago, MarksmenManiac said:

Stop whining you two.  Smh.  Go to the games and have fun.  If they don’t win you can’t have fun?   Pathetic

Thank you for your opinion. I'll whine if I want to.  As a fan winning is all that matters. If all you want is a good experience go to Chucky Cheese with the kids. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
42 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

  As a fan winning is all that matters.

Are you really sure about this statement? Then even 1 loss should leave you devastated. And thus the whole Marksmen season so far, to use a "Trump-ism", is a s---hole.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
24 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Are you really sure about this statement? Then even 1 loss should leave you devastated. And thus the whole Marksmen season so far, to use a "Trump-ism", is a s---hole.

LOL.  Taking the statement a little too literally.  I'm not talking 56-0-0.  Maybe I should have worded it "as a fan having a team that gives an all out effort to try to win and has the personnel to compete in the league" is what I look for as a fan.  As for the last part of your statement  we'll know the answer to that after 56 games.

Edited by Make Marky GM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 hours ago, MarksmenManiac said:

Ask MacNaught if the team was folding.  He told me himself. He works at the auto mall.  Just call him.  

You know you cant belive car salesman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

Thank you for your opinion. I'll whine if I want to.  As a fan winning is all that matters. If all you want is a good experience go to Chucky Cheese with the kids. 

Smh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I always have a good experience because I chose to. Laughing with my family. Cheering with my friends. Dancing like an idiot. Loud music that I don't know the words to. Heckling the goalie. Waving my rally towel. Ringing my cow bell. 

If we score the most goals...AWESOME! I leave joyous and happy with a raspy voice. If we don't score the most goals, I am disappointed and hoping we do better next time. Most importantly, I am more concerned for the players that I call "family" because I know none of them wanted to lose. They start skating as toddlers and have spent thousands upon thousands of hours learning the sport they love. They don't get paid much in the lower pro leagues, so a lot of this is for experience or the sheer love of the game. 

So with ALL THAT taken into account, I will never talk bad about my team. First, it doesn't change one single thing. Second, it only creates bad energy I don't want in my life. Finally, win, lose, or draw...I love and support this team! What a blessing hockey has been to my life....and it's a blessing there's a team right here in Fayetteville. So...very...thankful.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, MarksmenArtist said:

I always have a good experience because I chose to. Laughing with my family. Cheering with my friends. Dancing like an idiot. Loud music that I don't know the words to. Heckling the goalie. Waving my rally towel. Ringing my cow bell. 

If we score the most goals...AWESOME! I leave joyous and happy with a raspy voice. If we don't score the most goals, I am disappointed and hoping we do better next time. Most importantly, I am more concerned for the players that I call "family" because I know none of them wanted to lose. They start skating as toddlers and have spent thousands upon thousands of hours learning the sport they love. They don't get paid much in the lower pro leagues, so a lot of this is for experience or the sheer love of the game. 

So with ALL THAT taken into account, I will never talk bad about my team. First, it doesn't change one single thing. Second, it only creates bad energy I don't want in my life. Finally, win, lose, or draw...I love and support this team! What a blessing hockey has been to my life....and it's a blessing there's a team right here in Fayetteville. So...very...thankful.

Wow!  Well said Artist. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

What kinda guy says “ If all you want is a good experience go to Chucky Cheese with the kids.”? 

Why would anyone pay money and go spend 3-4 hours of their life, at a hockey game or anywhere else for that matter, if they DIDN’T want to have a GOOD EXPERIENCE?

I ‘m seriously starting to question some of the things people say on this forum. Frankly, some people are making fools of themselves. 

The only reason they say the things they say on here, is because it’s anonymous. 

Its embarrassing 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
34 minutes ago, MarksmenManiac said:

I ‘m seriously starting to question some of the things people say on this forum.

That started when you first joined.

We're sorry if you're embarrassed. But that's your choice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 hours ago, MacGuy said:

That started when you first joined.

We're sorry if you're embarrassed. But that's your choice.

Because I guess I’m the only one that’s inclined to question the comments on here. 

I’m not a sheeple like some

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
35 minutes ago, MarksmenManiac said:

Because I guess I’m the only one that’s inclined to question the comments on here. 

I’m not a sheeple like some

For the record, there have been other members in the past (distant & near) that have challenged their fellow members' comments in this team forum as well as in others.  You are not unique in the respect.  BUT calling out fellow members (individuals or groups) - especially with statements that will lead to divisiveness among folks who at the core are all hockey fans - is just as disruptive as those who want to complain.  A post like the last one made by MarksmenArtist  is a great example of how to get ones point/position across without begging for retaliatory replies.  You don't have to be "a sheeple" nor do you have to bury your emotions - you just have to show some respectful comportment.  Set an example, and others may just follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

To that point, MarksmenManiac, in the 8 days you've been a member here and of the 38 posts you've made, here is the sum total of anything positive you've had to say - about the team or otherwise:

On 1/12/2018 at 4:58 PM, MarksmenManiac said:

Love this screen name!   LOL

On 1/14/2018 at 12:10 AM, MarksmenManiac said:

Excellent result.  

On 1/14/2018 at 12:18 AM, MarksmenManiac said:

Plenty of reasons for players to want to come here. Fayetteville is actually a great little Hockey town. Players like the down home feeling they get from our fans.  How about being around the greatest soldiers in the world?  How about playing in a building that’s very nice, for good fans, Owners, boosters, front office staff?  Guess what, all that counts.  Players like Fayetteville.  We just aren’t good right now.  But who cares?  I have Fun at the games and so does my wife and kids.  [Deleted the rest because it was not at all positive.]

The last one shows you are quite capable of being the kind of supportive contributing forum member you are so quick to judge others about. Let's see what you've got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have to say that when it comes to my love for hockey (especially my Marksmen team), I am quite selfish. By that I mean that with all the stress in our lives, I have found the games (home or away) to be a stress reliever and therapeutic. For a few brief hours, I don't have to think of work, paying bills, how to make ends meet, family drama, health issues, or anything that causes pressure or stress in my life. It is totally taken away and I can focus on something else. That's why I count the days/hours until the next game - and why I suffer withdrawal in the summer. :unsure: 

Even if we're five points behind, when we "crack the egg" and put a goal in the net, it's time to celebrate! :2thumbsup: Time to smile and high five whoever is sitting next to you. So, keep on keeping on Marksmen. I can say without a doubt, I love my hockey therapy and I'm ready for more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, MacGuy said:

To that point, MarksmenManiac, in the 8 days you've been a member here and of the 38 posts you've made, here is the sum total of anything positive you've had to say - about the team or otherwise:

The last one shows you are quite capable of being the kind of supportive contributing forum member you are so quick to judge others about. Let's see what you've got.

Thanks Mac, but I dont Need you to validate my posts.  Worry about yourself bud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

.........can we all just get along.....someone will always complain......someone will always whine.....someone will always disagree. Just go to the games, drink a few beers and watch some hockey. :drunk:

 

Or just stay home and do anything and everything unhockey related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Sheeple, word of the day. Am I or am I not? Too soon to tell. Most go to the game because they love hockey. Some of that group know alittle about the game and some think they do. Then there is the group that go for the “experience”. They couldn’t care if there were really well skilled players out on the ice or dancing bears. That question is- how many want to watch hard hitting old school well coached hockey or how many can let the dancing bears entertain them for 2 1/2 - 3 hours? Then people come on the forums and critique the game m, the team, the coach, the front office, other posters, and the price of tea in China. 

When, after a half a season, you are a losing game from last place when it seems like you only play the other two teams in the league that are in the same boat as yourself. I could imagine the Sheepleness if we played the first place through fifth place teams as much. The win column would say zilch and dancing bears would be a bigger problem to most. Back to Sheeple

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I agree with M3519:beer: But, for those who are complaining about the complainers, I have a question. Have you ever been to a restaurant and recived your order either missing something or the food was cold and complained about it? I have and expect my order to be complete and warm/hot for what I'm paying for. It's the same for hockey. We spend a lot $$$$to watch a good hockey game. I'm ok with the team losing as long as progress is being made to improve the team. :2thumbsup: I'm a STH and I feel at times I'm not getting what I paid for. I am a true hockey fan and go to the games to watch a good game. A score of 10-2 is not a good hockey game. Go Marksmen!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
15 minutes ago, 72Vette said:

I agree with M3519:beer: But, for those who are complaining about the complainers, I have a question. Have you ever been to a restaurant and recived your order either missing something or the food was cold and complained about it? I have and expect my order to be complete and warm/hot for what I'm paying for. It's the same for hockey. We spend a lot $$$$to watch a good hockey game. I'm ok with the team losing as long as progress is being made to improve the team. :2thumbsup: I'm a STH and I feel at times I'm not getting what I paid for. I am a true hockey fan and go to the games to watch a good game. A score of 10-2 is not a good hockey game. Go Marksmen!

I sympathize with the idea of seeing progress. It's one of the challenges in sport to appreciate the effort involved in turning around a program, and the time that it can take. I would agree that it doesn't appear in my superficial observation of game scores that there's a turnaround underway, but I have to admit I was skeptical about Evansvillle last year. When the season ended, I dug into the numbers because Pyle was so insistent that they had been playing better, and I did see improvement. That's manifested itself this year for us, so hopefully a similar change is coming for you.

That said, the analogy of food at a restaurant is not a meaningful comparison. I'd liken the criticism to that of people who can't understand why kickers miss field goals or basketball players don't hit every free throw. Your food being prepared as requested is a straightforward task. It's simply not equitable in any reasonable way to constructing a competitive team, so for me it undercuts your valid point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 minutes ago, ShaunS said:

... That said, the analogy of food at a restaurant is not a meaningful comparison. I'd liken the criticism to that of people who can't understand why kickers miss field goals or basketball players don't hit every free throw. Your food being prepared as requested is a straightforward task. It's simply not equitable in any reasonable way to constructing a competitive team, so for me it undercuts your valid point.

Thoughtful counterpoint if you're eating at McDonald's or Waffle House, but not if you're eating at Emeril's.  When THEIR kickers miss field goals or their free throw shooters go 0 for 20, it's time for the customers to find another restaurant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Thoughtful counterpoint if you're eating at McDonald's or Waffle House, but not if you're eating at Emeril's.  When THEIR kickers miss field goals or their free throw shooters go 0 for 20, it's time for the customers to find another restaurant.

Sure, I've never been in one of his restaurants where they missed any "layups" though. Still it's only a single-sided comparison, there's no competition in delivering you a good experience. If I'm eating at McDonalds vs Delmonico vs Joel Robuchon I'm going to have vastly different expectations, but that's the difference in paying $8 for a meal versus $500. I'd say your revision of the analogy works for the difference in expectations you'd have in SPHL to AHL to NHL

 

Edit: I'll endorse the latter two restaurants on the list wholeheartedly, but recommend you pass on the first one. :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.

     
Premium Theme Designed By IBTheme.com

×