Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
antman

Macon game last night

What a horrible weekend, I have watched nearly every game this season and at the beginning, we all felt like we had a chance to have a good year. Last night the speed of Macon was just too much for us to handle, the game was pitiful. Now many on these forums comment on negativity but here are a few observations I have lately. We cannot compete with what we have today, it is much to late to make any meaningful changes, do the players try their best, well for the most part yes they do, do they really want to win, I think they do but the talent just isn't there. Blame the coach, well maybe but the coach of the Penguins would not do much better with this bunch of players I believe. Don't know the total attendance given last night but that arena was really empty, if they had 1000 there, that total might have been inflated. Continue to support the Marksmen, of course we all love hockey, this year will be a learning experience for management and coaches and I feel they learned a hard lesson as to what type of players, speed and talent wise, defense and goaltending that is required to put out a respectful team for Fayetteville to fully support.

I too was blown away at the speed difference that these other teams have and Macon team inparticular it was crazy how quick they could beat us down the ice. And also every pass that they made seemed to meet one of their players. Not to mention 17-3 shots on goal in the 3rd.

Does anyone know the status on Hill he took a hard shot last night and had to be helped off ice. 

1 hour ago, antman said:

What a horrible weekend, I have watched nearly every game this season and at the beginning, we all felt like we had a chance to have a good year. Last night the speed of Macon was just too much for us to handle, the game was pitiful. Now many on these forums comment on negativity but here are a few observations I have lately. We cannot compete with what we have today, it is much to late to make any meaningful changes, do the players try their best, well for the most part yes they do, do they really want to win, I think they do but the talent just isn't there. Blame the coach, well maybe but the coach of the Penguins would not do much better with this bunch of players I believe. Don't know the total attendance given last night but that arena was really empty, if they had 1000 there, that total might have been inflated. Continue to support the Marksmen, of course we all love hockey, this year will be a learning experience for management and coaches and I feel they learned a hard lesson as to what type of players, speed and talent wise, defense and goaltending that is required to put out a respectful team for Fayetteville to fully support.

That about sums it up and I'm not trying to sound negative.  Fayetteville did dominate the 1st period (although the score at 2-2 didn't reflect it) and when they jumped out to a 3-2 lead in the 2nd even with another score being disallowed things were looking good.  But after the 5 on 3 goal made it 3-2 Macon woke up and completely whipped the Marksmen's tail.  For the 1st 2 periods Spano had a terrible game.  He did great in the 3rd or it would've been 10-3 easily.  Fayetteville can play in spurts but just can't put it together for an entire game.  I'll support the team but I have no expectations for this year.  Your observation of the crowd numbers are spot on.  I did a count in the middle of the first period and came out with around 600 people actually in the seats.  No I didn't count each one but it's easy to go by sections to get a pretty good estimate when the crowd is that small.  I wish the team luck but I'm afraid at this point if we can steal even 5 or 6 wins the rest of the way we'll be lucky.

7 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

Your observation of the crowd numbers are spot on.  I did a count in the middle of the first period and came out with around 600 people actually in the seats

The attendance for Friday's game was about the same ...The crowds for these 2 week-end games had less people than a Sunday or week night game .....

2 hours ago, scline74 said:

Does anyone know the status on Hill he took a hard shot last night and had to be helped off ice. 

He posted to Twitter last night that he is ok and he thanked the fans for their concern and support.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dnf said:

The attendance for Friday's game was about the same ...The crowds for these 2 week-end games had less people than a Sunday or week night game .....

Do blame the people with the product that they have put on the ice i would stop coming to for what it takes to see this pitful team.

23 minutes ago, puckcounter said:

Do blame the people with the product that they have put on the ice i would stop coming to for what it takes to see this pitful team.

i get what you are feeling about the team and the $$ it takes to go.  I have had to change what I enjoy about going to the games (watching a competitive team) and shift my enjoyment to just watching the action and seeing the skill of the other team. I still think it is a cheap form of entertainment, even if they are losing and I do want to support the local team good or bad.   I will add this team is on track for the worst Fayetteville record in the SPHL era.  This team would have to go 10-13 -0 the rest of the way to equal the 2011/12 worst ever record of 19-32-5. FWIW Kyle McNeil was on that team, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

This team would have to go 10-13 -0 the rest of the way to equal the 2011/12 worst ever record of 19-32-5. FWIW Kyle McNeil was on that team, too.

And  the FireAntz had a coach change during that year also .

2 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

i get what you are feeling about the team and the $$ it takes to go.  I have had to change what I enjoy about going to the games (watching a competitive team) and shift my enjoyment to just watching the action and seeing the skill of the other team. I still think it is a cheap form of entertainment, even if they are losing and I do want to support the local team good or bad.   I will add this team is on track for the worst Fayetteville record in the SPHL era.  This team would have to go 10-13 -0 the rest of the way to equal the 2011/12 worst ever record of 19-32-5. FWIW Kyle McNeil was on that team, too.

Kyle is a much improved player since his first season in the league......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dnf said:

Since you brought it up, the FireAntz had three in-season coaching changes and failed to make the playoffs in all three of those seasons.  I think there's a trend and it doesn't look good for playoffs this season.  

23 hours ago, dnf said:

Thats right

And some FHL players are now competing in the ECHL. For example...JOHN SCHIAVO. Didn't take long for him to get a goal in Kansas City, did it? Even though he and Bryan Dallaire are former FHL players, I don't see anyone having a problem with them playing for Fayetteville. Talent can come from anywhere...a street corner, a local rec center, a small college, a huge university, and believe it or not....the Federal Hockey League. Just a thought.

Schiavo :  -15 in 29 games with 14 goals for Fayetteville , - 3 while in Kansas City for 5 games , that 1 goal is looking good , eh ?

Fayetteville somehow needs to get a better “team” to put on the ice ,it might be too far gone for this season. All the trades that have been made so far isn’t working , It looks like Fayetteville hockey might be riding a dead horse till the end of the season .

Edited by dnf
add info

I agree that there is some talent in the FHL that can compete in this league. But looking at who we recruited early this season, where are they now? Our waiver list is longer than our roster lol. Evansville tried that their 1st season and where did they end up? Big difference in talent between the 2 leagues. We need to be recruiting players who are border line ECHL talent and take a couple from the FHL to develope. Again, the SPHL needs to change the roster from 18 to 20 to help with the burden of call ups. 

1 hour ago, 72Vette said:

Again, the SPHL needs to change the roster from 18 to 20 to help with the burden of call ups. 

I agree! The league needs to raise the salary cap also.

5 hours ago, 72Vette said:

Again, the SPHL needs to change the roster from 18 to 20 to help with the burden of call ups. 

3 hours ago, MarksmenArtist said:

I agree! The league needs to raise the salary cap also.

Which will go against the SPHL business model. We are lucky they increased the active roster to 19 guys for this season. It's a lot about the Benjamins with our league. 

29 minutes ago, MarksmenArtist said:

Business models can change too.

PO has a good point. This league is successful because of it's cost effect business model. We have a few former ECHL teams who dropped from the E to our league. This SPHL does not have enough teams to feed players to the ECHL. It' tough for any team with a roster of 19 and losing 5 of their best players.

Edited by 72Vette
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MarksmenArtist said:

Correction: Schiavo also had 17 assists in Fayetteveille before the call up so his total points in 29 games here is 31 points!

Ok , you didn’t mention the zero assists he has with Kansas so I didn’t mention the 17 with Fayetteville , 

Goals, assists, etc. Gotta admit the guy is an asset to any team. Wish him all the best, but I f he comes back and plays for the Marksmen, I'll take it!

GO MARKSMEN! :Marksmen: