Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Let's clinch a playoff spot first - then worry about the details of when/where we'll play during the playoffs. After last year and the first half of this season, figuring out where to hold a home playoff game will be a good problem to have!!!!

I would expect that the Dawgs leadership has known about this situation for a while and already has contingency plans.  They've done a pretty good job of running the team (see mid-year coaching change) and I'm confident that they will make as much lemonade out of these lemons as they can.

Go Dawgs! 

1 hour ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

You all do realize this is not the first time this happens right?

Macon, Huntsville, Peoria among other teams have had to do this. Huntsville had to play in their practice rink for 500 people.

When did we ever say that it was?  We are just discussing if it would be better to just play all road games or play one where our players practice when no ice in Roanoke.  I'm sure everyone knows this isn't the first time it's happened. We were in the league last year when Macon had no home games in the first round.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg81102 said:

We are just discussing if it would be better to just play all road games or play one where our players practice when no ice in Roanoke.  I'm sure everyone knows this isn't the first time it's happened. We were in the league last year when Macon had no home games in the first round.

Good point, Greg.

I suppose that's what message boards are for - to vent and throw out ideas.

As I said, I hope we have the issue - that means the Dawgs made the playoffs!!!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Roanokehockey said:

Good point, Greg.

As I said, I hope we have the issue - that means the Dawgs made the playoffs!!!!!

I agree, everything we are talking about is just hypothetical until we actually make the playoffs anyways.  But from my point of view the pros outweigh the cons of having a playoff game in Liberty.  Only two cons hockeyroanoke has brought up is travel and rest.

Cons: Travel and Rest

Pros:  Game in front of fans, teams won't pick us because we have no home ice, play in a place our players are familiar with and nobody else, way to generate revenue for team, chance to broaden our fan base in Lynchburg,  Roanoke players with families can come home and see them, and get opposing team out of their home routine.  

I'm sure there is more but im just brainstorming.  Anyone else who can think of any can add to the discussion.  The Lahaye Ice Center also holds up to 3,000 fans.  So no fan who wants to travel there will probably be left out of the game.  Just think in my opinion its a good option. I know if it happens 4 people from my family will definately be going.

41 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

When did we ever say that it was?  We are just discussing if it would be better to just play all road games or play one where our players practice when no ice in Roanoke.  I'm sure everyone knows this isn't the first time it's happened. We were in the league last year when Macon had no home games in the first round.

38 minutes ago, Roanokehockey said:

Good point, Greg.

16 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I agree, everything we are talking about is just hypothetical until we actually make the playoffs anyways.  But from my point of view the pros outweigh the cons of having a playoff game in Liberty.  Only two cons hockeyroanoke has brought up is travel and rest.

Cons: Travel and Rest

Pros:  Game in front of fans, teams won't pick us because we have no home ice, play in a place our players are familiar with and nobody else, way to generate revenue for team, chance to broaden our fan base in Lynchburg,  Roanoke players with families can come home and see them, and get opposing team out of their home routine.  

I'm sure there is more but im just brainstorming.  Anyone else who can think of any can add to the discussion.  The Lahaye Ice Center also holds up to 3,000 fans.  So no fan who wants to travel there will probably be left out of the game.  Just think in my opinion its a good option. I know if it happens 4 people from my family will definately be going.

I wasn't attacking anyone. It's just sometimes certain posts can get rather old after awhile because of repetitiveness. The SPHL is an independent hockey league and will get the shaft sometimes. It happens.

I also understand that it's about throwing around ideas, but those ideas don't mean anything to the Berglund Center.

I have seen rants about making STH a priority. Any reputable team, makes the STH first choice. I could be mistaken, but when Huntsville had to play at their practice rink, there was room for 500 and I believe they only allowed STH's in for the games.

This thread has created 4 pages of talk that the Berglund Center does not care about. They are making the money they want to make regardless.

I don't recall seeing any talk about the Salem Civic Center. Do they still have ice making equipment? If not, I'm sure the Dawgs could afford to rent ice to install the rink.

20 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

I wasn't attacking anyone. It's just sometimes certain posts can get rather old after awhile because of repetitiveness. The SPHL is an independent hockey league and will get the shaft sometimes. It happens.

I also understand that it's about throwing around ideas, but those ideas don't mean anything to the Berglund Center.

I have seen rants about making STH a priority. Any reputable team, makes the STH first choice. I could be mistaken, but when Huntsville had to play at their practice rink, there was room for 500 and I believe they only allowed STH's in for the games.

This thread has created 4 pages of talk that the Berglund Center does not care about. They are making the money they want to make regardless.

I don't recall seeing any talk about the Salem Civic Center. Do they still have ice making equipment? If not, I'm sure the Dawgs could afford to rent ice to install the rink.

We aren't throwing out ideas for the Berglund Center. If they aren't having the game at The Berglund Center then they would have nothing to do with this anyways.  It would be up to the owners and the team if and where the teams played.  This thread has been going on for over 2 months when the rumors first started.  It just recently picked back up when the media WFIR, who interviews our coach alot finally reported that The Berglund Center was unavailable for the first round of playoffs.  They also mentioned playing at Lahaye Ice Center.  So its not like its an idea that only we are thinking about as an option.  Even if it is repetitive, who cares?  As long as people are chatting in the forum and not being disruptive it shouldn't matter.  Anyone who has a problem with repetitiveness or tired of seeing or talking about the subject can easily skip over it and not read it.  About the Salem Civic Center.  I have no clue if that's a viable option or not. Even if the dates would be open.  But the team already has a working relationship with Liberty, so I figure that option would be the easiest route to take.  Plus they always have ice and wouldn't need to do all the work to put all this together.  It also holds 3,000 fans so every season ticket holder would be able to get a ticket and probably any other person who wanted to attend.  Also, I didn't mean to sound like I thought you were attacking me.  What I write might sound a little defensive but that's not how i'm trying to sound.  It's just another discussion.:2thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Salem no longer has ice capabilities, haven't since the mid 80s when the Lancers moved to Vinton. I believe hey sold the equipment to Winston-Salem way back then.

Edited by Onetimer

I saw that the Rail Yard Dawgs posted on their "SPHL Challenge Round Selection Show" event in Facebook yesterday. Part of the post said "Keep your eye pealed for details on playoff tickets tomorrow!" So it would seem like they have worked something out with Liberty and we should here something about it today (April 3rd). 

15 minutes ago, FightingGobbler said:

I saw that the Rail Yard Dawgs posted on their "SPHL Challenge Round Selection Show" event in Facebook yesterday. Part of the post said "Keep your eye pealed for details on playoff tickets tomorrow!" So it would seem like they have worked something out with Liberty and we should here something about it today (April 3rd). 

They have had it worked out with Liberty for a couple of weeks, they just didn't want to announce anything until we officially made the playoffs. Our playoff game will be the 1st of the series On Wednesday April 18th, then that will follow with 2 on the road against whoever we are playing. If we get past the 1st round I believe there will be available dates at the Berglund Center after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlayaHtr said:

They have had it worked out with Liberty for a couple of weeks, they just didn't want to announce anything until we officially made the playoffs. Our playoff game will be the 1st of the series On Wednesday April 18th, then that will follow with 2 on the road against whoever we are playing. If we get past the 1st round I believe there will be available dates at the Berglund Center after that.

The 18th or the 11th? Packages went on sale this morning for season ticket holders. If you purchase the package you get 8 tix per seat (all marked date tbd), 2 possible Liberty games and 6 for the Berglund Center. I assume that is just covering possible games if an opponent has availability issues giving us additional games.

17 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

The 18th or the 11th? Packages went on sale this morning for season ticket holders. If you purchase the package you get 8 tix per seat (all marked date tbd), 2 possible Liberty games and 6 for the Berglund Center. I assume that is just covering possible games if an opponent has availability issues giving us additional games.

Sorry Vic it's the 11th, looked at the wrong week on the calendar.

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/roanokerailyarddawgs/news-1147/news_501902

The Rail Yard Dawgs have clinched a spot in the President’s Cup playoffs! We don’t want you to miss out on the first postseason game in franchise history, so here’s everything you need to know:

FIRST ROUND

Each team is guaranteed a home game every series and for the Rail Yard Dawgs in the first round, this will be played in Lynchburg at Liberty University’s LaHaye Ice Center. Berglund Center ice is not available during the first round due to a previously scheduled event. The time and date of this game is still yet to be determined – we will have this information following the SPHL Challenge Round Selection Show on Sunday night.

CHALLENGE ROUND SELECTION SHOW WATCH PARTY

On Sunday, April 8 at 6:30 PM we will be hosting a watch party for the SPHL Challenge Round Selection Show. The show will be produced by the SPHL and broadcasted live out of Huntsville, Alabama with veteran sportscaster and the Voice of the Birmingham Bulls, Eli Gold anchoring the coverage alongside long-time NHL player, coach and broadcaster Terry Crisp. During the show, the top seeds in the postseason will select which of the bottom four seeds they would like to challenge for the first round of the playoffs. This is when we will learn who the Dawgs first round opponent will be. It will take place at Berglund Center in the Special Events Center. This is not a ticketed event and concession stands will be open.

TICKETS

Individual tickets for the first round home game at LaHaye Center will go on sale as soon as the opponent, date and time of the game is set. All seats will be general admission for $13. They will be available for purchase online or the day of the game at the LaHaye Center box office. Any games that will be played at Berglund Center later in the postseason will be as follows:

Platinum Level: $21

Gold Level: $17

Silver Level: $15

Bronze Level: $12

General Admission: $9

With the exception of the general admission seats, children’s tickets will be discounted two dollars. Ticket packages for the entire postseason are also available, call the Rail Yard Dawgs office at 540-344-3294 to inquire.

It’s an exciting time to be a Rail Yard Dawgs fan! Come out in full force so we can make some noise in the playoffs!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PlayaHtr said:

Hmm...Wednesday. Feels like I called this...

On 3/25/2018 at 2:24 PM, Theoriginalalex said:

Seems likely. I think a couple earlier posters are making an incorrect assumptions that Roanoke gets game 2 of a 3-in-3 weekend. Unless the Dawgs were playing Fayetteville or Knoxville, you’d probably see game 1 in Roanoke followed by a travel off-day before 2+3 at the high seed. Think Wed / Fri / Sat. Roanoke is an outlier for travel like Peoria, and that’s how the league has preferred to schedule Rivs’ series in the past.

You see, no need to panic about the travel.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:24 PM, Theoriginalalex said:

Seems likely. I think a couple earlier posters are making an incorrect assumptions that Roanoke gets game 2 of a 3-in-3 weekend. Unless the Dawgs were playing Fayetteville or Knoxville, you’d probably see game 1 in Roanoke followed by a travel off-day before 2+3 at the high seed. Think Wed / Fri / Sat. Roanoke is an outlier for travel like Peoria, and that’s how the league has preferred to schedule Rivs’ series in the past.

I think you are probably correct UNLESS Pensacola picks Roanoke. Per another thread, the Ice Flyers don't have ice on the weekend because of a cheerleading competition so they have already posted on Twitter that their 1st home game will be Wednesday or Thursday. That would seem to bump the Dawgs home game to later in the week (IF, IF, BIG IF, Pensacola is the opponent)

DZzYzUMXkAAk6xI.jpg

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

I think you are probably correct UNLESS Pensacola picks Roanoke. Per another thread, the Ice Flyers don't have ice on the weekend because of a cheerleading competition so they have already posted on Twitter that their 1st home game will be Wednesday or Thursday. That would seem to bump the Dawgs home game to later in the week (IF, IF, BIG IF, Pensacola is the opponent)

DZzYzUMXkAAk6xI.jpg

How so? The Flyers will obviously get game 3 at home, and the Bay Center is booked Sat & Sun. I can’t remember the SPHL ever letting a 1st round series go beyond Sun, so that leaves Fri for game 3. I don’t see any way to jigsaw a series into that window besides beginning in Lynchburg Wed (maybe Tue to allow a travel day), then Thurs and Fri in Florida.

The only opportunity for a weekend home game I can imagine is an unlikely matchup with Knoxville, where a 1-1-1 format would be more likely than a 1-2.

If nothing else this format has given us fans something to talk about as we hypothesize on 4+ playoff schedules for each team!

Edited by Theoriginalalex

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

How so? The Flyers will obviously get game 3 at home, and the Bay Center is booked Sat & Sun. I can’t remember the SPHL ever letting a 1st round series go beyond Sun, so that leaves Fri for game 3. 

I agree that the series has to be done by Saturday, but on another thread, it was stated that the Bay Center was not available on Friday because of prep for the weekend. Don't know what that means from a practical standpoint.

I certainly agree that with you that "If nothing else this format has given us fans something to talk about as we hypothesize on 4+ playoff schedules for each team!"

Edited by Roanokehockey

I wouldn't think Pensacola would pick us. We haven't been the easiest team for them to play most of the year and I'm pretty sure the last time around we blew them out in front of a sold out crowd. I think we'll likely get stuck with Macon who DOES play really well against us, and the travel time isn't that bad either. But, I've been wrong before. Pensacola will probably go with Mississippi, and I'd say Peoria would probably pick Evansville since I'm pretty sure they're the closest team to them, and it likely doesn't matter who they play, they're probably going to win. Which I guess leaves Huntsville and Knoxville. 

5 minutes ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

... Which I guess leaves Huntsville and Knoxville. 

"A Battle of 'villes" - I like it!  :thumbsup2:

Bottom line - who knows what will happen? Sure is cool to talk about the "what ifs." 

With all this discussion and anticipation, I am now absolutely sold on the new "Challenge Round" format.  If it were 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7 , etc., there would be very little discussion (I think).

I'm also looking forward to Sunday night's Selection show - should be fun!

• Like 2

On 4/3/2018 at 9:52 AM, FightingGobbler said:

Is the misspelling a clue?

3 hours ago, Carey Mahoney said:

Is the misspelling a clue?

"Keep your eye pealed" ... that's clear as a bell to me.  ;)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

Bottom line - who knows what will happen? Sure is cool to talk about the "what ifs." 

With all this discussion and anticipation, I am now absolutely sold on the new "Challenge Round" format.  If it were 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7 , etc., there would be very little discussion (I think).

I'm also looking forward to Sunday night's Selection show - should be fun!

This is 100% a winning idea. I believe we’ll see higher leagues start to copy this just as they did with 3-on-3.

As far as matchups, I agree Macon is most likely. Mississippi and Evansville are weaker teams right now so I’m expecting them to be off the board 1st and 2nd.

• Like 1

What if ... old buddies Trudel & Bremner finalize a deal this weekend while RNK is playing in PEO?  The Dawgs stay over for the week (saving a return bus trip) & their first round best-of-three starts at Peoria Civic Center on Wednesday the 11th as predicted by today's Rivermen playoff announcement:hmm:

2 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

What if ... old buddies Trudel & Bremner finalize a deal this weekend while RNK is playing in PEO?  The Dawgs stay over for the week (saving a return bus trip) & their first round best-of-three starts at Peoria Civic Center on Wednesday the 11th as predicted by today's Rivermen playoff announcement:hmm:

Could happen- conspiracy theorists may now start opining.