Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

I’ve heard from reliable sources that if Roanoke makes the playoffs no games would be played in Roanoke because of booking issues. 

If that is the case that would not be good for the franchise. 

23 minutes ago, robard said:

I’ve heard from reliable sources that if Roanoke makes the playoffs no games would be played in Roanoke because of booking issues. ...

Welcome to the SPHL:doh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robard said:

I’ve heard from reliable sources that if Roanoke makes the playoffs no games would be played in Roanoke because of booking issues. 

If that is the case that would not be good for the franchise. 

If thats true, im right there with you would be very disappointing not seeing the team in the playoffs.  Think that is very bad for business.  Cheer a team on all year to be shut out from seeing atleast a playoff game.

• Like 1

It would depend on when said playoff game would be, because the only event listed so far on the BC website for April is PBR Bull Riding on April 13-14, that would take place in the arena.

14 minutes ago, Onetimer said:

It would depend on when said playoff game would be, because the only event listed so far on the BC website for April is PBR Bull Riding on April 13-14, that would take place in the arena.

If that's the case, that probably eliminates the first round.  It would take several days to transform BC from ice hockey to bull riding.  Not only do they have to take up the boards and ice, but also bring in truckloads of dirt. That's a multi-day job.

That’s pretty pathetic if the civic center didn’t consider playoffs when scheduling a rodeo. There are going to be some extremely upset fans especially with the turn around the team has made. Some of the decisions that the civic center and Rail Yard Dawgs front office make really confuse me. 

Well if thats the case, it would be very disappointing.  I know a team last year had same problem and moved the game to another venue.  Not sure the stipulations for it, like does it have to be in same city or anything like that?  But would we be able to work out a deal and play it at Liberty if possible if they went with it?  They practice there when the ice isnt down in Roanoke anyways.  Doesnt hold as many as the Berglund Center but I would definately take the ride there to see the Dawgs play if we had no other option.  A lot better option to me then giving the opposing team another home game.

1 hour ago, robard said:

That’s pretty pathetic if the civic center didn’t consider playoffs when scheduling a rodeo. There are going to be some extremely upset fans especially with the turn around the team has made. Some of the decisions that the civic center and Rail Yard Dawgs front office make really confuse me. 

If this turns out to be true, I don't think you can blame the Dawgs front office for this one.

I'm fairly certain that the Berglund Center decides which dates that the Dawgs can have for hockey. That's the reason the Dawgs don't have any home game for 3 straight weeks at the end of February/first of March. I think the same thing happened last year.

This is probably the same type of thing.

10 minutes ago, Roanokehockey said:

If this turns out to be true, I don't think you can blame the Dawgs front office for this one.

I'm fairly certain that the Berglund Center decides which dates that the Dawgs can have for hockey. That's the reason the Dawgs don't have any home game for 3 straight weeks at the end of February/first of March. I think the same thing happened last year.

This is probably the same type of thing.

I believe that to.  But at some point you have to keep your main tenant happy.  They have the most dates and seem to be drawing a pretty good attendance.  How long will that last when fans support the team all year long then disappointed not even seeing a playoff game the first year they would make the playoffs?  I just found this article by Fayetteville sports writer Pope from 2014.  Gives an insight to some of the chaos that has went on in last few years.  Might be more about it somewhere.  I didnt research to much.  Short on time tonight.

http://www.fayobserver.com/068bbd38-c33d-5ac2-b34e-362c64b38dfc.html

• Like 1

When Fayetteville made it to the 2nd rd two years ago (2015-16) against Peoria.....The Rivermen had some issues with home game availability, and even though game one was in Fay....(Rivs won 1-0), they got to play 1 game (or if needed a 3rd) in their practice rink instead of in Carver Arena. 

5 minutes ago, Marksmen3519 said:

When Fayetteville made it to the 2nd rd two years ago (2015-16) against Peoria.....The Rivermen had some issues with home game availability, and even though game one was in Fay....(Rivs won 1-0), they got to play 1 game (or if needed a 3rd) in their practice rink instead of in Carver Arena. 

I seen where Huntsville did the same in article above from your sports writer in Fayetteville.  Only problem here is currently the practice rink is a little over an hour away in Lynchburg, VA. until the new ice rink is made at the Lancerlot here.  Its just a suggestion.  Liberty University plays there, not even sure if they would agree with it in the first place. Just think if any of this is true it seems like a better home advantage then all road games.

• Like 1

How would a playoff game at Liberty work for season ticket holders? Liberty students will still be on campus and they draw a decent crowd for their home games. The place only holds 3000 people, the civic center is screwing up. Take away an event that's affordable to bring in a minor league bull riding event where tickets range from 17 dollars for nose bleeds all the way up to 100 dollars. 

Disappointing if true, but I’m not going to the extent of saying this is Franchise-altering. Among the other instances listed, Macon played the entire 1st round on the road last year, still won the title, and that hasn’t seemed to hurt their support. It happens in this league.

I lived in an AHL city for 25 years before moving here, and countless early round weekend playoff games were empty anyway. Minor league playoffs are a tough sell anyway before the final because there’s little notice and no promotion to get fans in the door.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

... the civic center is screwing up. Take away an event that's affordable to bring in a minor league bull riding event where tickets range from 17 dollars for nose bleeds all the way up to 100 dollars

Put on your Arena Management Thinking Cap, and reconsider that opinion.  :hmm:  :scrooge:

10 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Put on your Arena Management Thinking Cap, and reconsider that opinion.  :hmm:  :scrooge:

Well let me give you some insight to last year's bull riding event. I think the turnout was less than a thousand people. No one wants to go watch minor league bull riding at those prices .

38 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Well let me give you some insight to last year's bull riding event. I think the turnout was less than a thousand people. No one wants to go watch minor league bull riding at those prices .

Fair point, but let's do the math anyway ...

RYD will host (at most) one playoff game in the first round, due to their low playoff seed.  Assume they draw an average crowd based on regular season attendance, at playoff ticket prices that average what regular season single-game tickets go for (with STH's and group sales attendees paying even less)  So: 1 game X 3,306 seats X $14/seat = $46,284 in gross ticket sales for hockey.

The Velocity Tour will visit the Berglund Center for two nights (which would boost the arena's gross income significantly with concession sales - and income for whomever benefits from visitor parking fees), but I'll stick to a one night assumption for direct ticket income comparison.  I'll go with 900 seats sold (a generous nod toward your "less than a thousand people"), and again average the event ticket prices.  So: 1 night X 900 seats X $59.50/seat = $53, 550 in gross ticket sales for bull riding.

Given the fact that Berglund Center already has a leasing contract with the Pro Bull Riding folks, and that a two-night event will fill at least one more night on their event calendar (remember that SPHL playoff round scheduling - which is a crap shoot at nearly every team's arena - could favor Games #1 & #2 on the RYD opponent's home ice), the decision is simply a dollars & cents one.  The bulls win.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

How would a playoff game at Liberty work for season ticket holders? Liberty students will still be on campus and they draw a decent crowd for their home games. The place only holds 3000 people, the civic center is screwing up. Take away an event that's affordable to bring in a minor league bull riding event where tickets range from 17 dollars for nose bleeds all the way up to 100 dollars. 

Im not even sure if Liberty would be a viable option.  Im just trying to do some problem solving in case this happens.  It would be easier for Roanoke fans to attend there for a home game, instead of the #1 seed who would probably pick us to have every 1st round playoff game in their own barn.  Which currently looks like Pensacola, Huntsville, Evansville, Peoria, or Macon.  All great distances to travel for a game.

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

You might make more money from it then a playoff game, but have to remember they are there for a couple days while hockey is there over half of the year.  Plus I cant imagine people wanting to buy food concessions when it smells like poo!  Hockey is still fairly new and still trying to pick up a fan base.  We are finally putting a good product on the ice and finally starting to look like a team.  Just think its too early for them to start shooting themselves in the foot already.  

3 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

Disappointing if true, but I’m not going to the extent of saying this is Franchise-altering. Among the other instances listed, Macon played the entire 1st round on the road last year, still won the title, and that hasn’t seemed to hurt their support. It happens in this league.

I lived in an AHL city for 25 years before moving here, and countless early round weekend playoff games were empty anyway. Minor league playoffs are a tough sell anyway before the final because there’s little notice and no promotion to get fans in the door.

Macon didnt exactly blow Columbus away.  The series was 2-1.  Also, Macon was the #1 seed and Columbus was the #8 seed.  Big difference when those seeds would be switched for us with the top seed playing all home games. Another big difference is Macon GA and Columbus GA is under 2 hours away from each other.   So if Macon fans really wanted to see them it would be easy for them to go.  Less of a drive to and from the game then it would be for Roanoke fans to even get to another teams arena.  The way its looking is we are in no position to play one of the closest teams to us in Knoxville or Fayetteville.  Last thing is Macon only drew an average of around 1800 people last year for their games.  That is being a very fast and entertaining team to watch and winning the regular season title.  So cant really say they have any huge support to begin with.

Let's make the playoffs first,  then we can sort all this out later.:crash:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

I believe that to.  But at some point you have to keep your main tenant happy.  They have the most dates and seem to be drawing a pretty good attendance.  How long will that last when fans support the team all year long then disappointed not even seeing a playoff game the first year they would make the playoffs?  I just found this article by Fayetteville sports writer Pope from 2014.  Gives an insight to some of the chaos that has went on in last few years.  Might be more about it somewhere.  I didnt research to much.  Short on time tonight.

http://www.fayobserver.com/068bbd38-c33d-5ac2-b34e-362c64b38dfc.html

Great find, Greg.

I didn't realize this type of thing is common in the league. The writer of that article makes a LOT of sense.  You would think 28 regular season home dates would be worth a little bit of loyalty.

If this scenario plays out, hopefully the Dawgs can work something out.

3 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

... You might make more money from it then a playoff game, but have to remember they are there for a couple days while hockey is there over half of the year.  Plus I cant imagine people wanting to buy food concessions when it smells like poo! ...

If you were a pro bull riding fan, the smell of  :crap:  would make you feel even hungrier.

5 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

...instead of the #1 seed who would probably pick us to have every 1st round playoff game in their own barn.

Slightly off-topic, but if I was the #1 seed I’d pick the Dawgs even if all 3 were in Roanoke. Dawgs, Marks, and Bulls are all significantly worse than the other 7 teams.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not thrilled with the idea of no playoff game, but I don’t think it matters in the grand scheme of Dawgs success in the market.

I accepted years ago that minor league hockey is not primarily aimed at us, the hardcore fans who post on team message boards. I’d guess 90% of the crowd at any game for any team is just there to have a good time on a weekend night. That’s why we have superhero jerseys, a fluffy dog mascot, and T-shirt tosses: because you need those casual folks to survive, and I doubt if any of them will even notice or remember next year if the Dawgs go on the road for Round 1.

• Like 1

Disney, the circus, the PBR, Monster Truck Jam, concerts, etc, bring in GUARANTEED $ on GUARANTEED dates; hockey can't GUARANTEE teams will be in the playoffs, much less WHEN, depending on seeding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Disney, the circus, the PBR, Monster Truck Jam, concerts, etc, bring in GUARANTEED $ on GUARANTEED dates; hockey can't GUARANTEE teams will be in the playoffs, much less WHEN, depending on seeding. 

Very fair point.

What no one knows is a how much flexibility a venue has in scheduling such events.  The Roanoke Bull Riding event is sandwiched between Bull Riding stops in Wyoming and Iowa so it's not like they were in the area.

5 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

Slightly off-topic, but if I was the #1 seed I’d pick the Dawgs even if all 3 were in Roanoke. Dawgs, Marks, and Bulls are all significantly worse than the other 7 teams.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not thrilled with the idea of no playoff game, but I don’t think it matters in the grand scheme of Dawgs success in the market.

I accepted years ago that minor league hockey is not primarily aimed at us, the hardcore fans who post on team message boards. I’d guess 90% of the crowd at any game for any team is just there to have a good time on a weekend night. That’s why we have superhero jerseys, a fluffy dog mascot, and T-shirt tosses: because you need those casual folks to survive, and I doubt if any of them will even notice or remember next year if the Dawgs go on the road for Round 1.

You may be right, but what about season ticket holders who are big fans?  Its not good for business or the team to tell people to throw all this money down every year just for the possibility your own arena will screw you in the playoffs.  Really shows how much the arena cares about the team.  In my opinion, you need to keep your main tenant and fans happy even if it means missing a bull riding competition and a few $ signs.  The arena has to be a lot better off with hockey.  Look how hard they were trying to get another team to fill all the empty dates. It might not hinder your success much, but you cant tell me it wont turn atleast a few people away from buying season tickets.