Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

JMC-STL

Havoc players show their softer side off the ice

Havoc players show their softer side off the ice

Posted 10:09 pm, February 4, 2018, by Jerry Hayes, Updated at 10:55PM, February 4, 2018

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - Ice hockey players are some of the toughest athletes you'll ever meet. But some of them also have a softer side that can warm your heart. On the ice, they’ll fight you at the drop of a puck. But when it’s not game on, Huntsville Havoc players can be softies, especially when it comes to little miracles in the Regional neonatal intensive care unit at Huntsville Hospital for Woman and Children. ...

The players were visiting the NICU before putting on those special pink and blue jerseys for the 12th annual Melissa George Night with the Huntsville Havoc. The jerseys are auctioned off after the game to raise money to buy life-saving equipment through the Melissa George Neonatal Memorial Fund.

Keith and Becky Jeffries own the team. She was right there with the boys when they visited. “This is amazing for them to see,” Becky said. “Sometimes they don’t understand what they’re playing for and coming up here and seeing these babies, they understand a little bit more of how important it is.”

Before the visit this year, the guys got together to do something they’d never done before. They made baby blankets. Becky came up with the idea while organizing her sewing room at home and recruited a couple of her players to sell their teammates on the idea. “It’s just something small for us to do and give a couple of hours,” defenseman Nolan Kaiser said. “But for the parents, it means a lot.” ...

Read & See more at: http://whnt.com/2018/02/04/havoc-players-show-their-softer-side-off-the-ice/

And more good news, courtesy of the Peoria Journal Star's Dave Eminian ...

... Congrats to the Huntsville Havoc on their 12th annual Melissa George Night to benefit the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Huntsville Hospital. The team wore special jerseys in its game against the Rivermen on Saturday, and raised $61,000 for the hospital by auctioning them after the game. Former SPHL Columbus owner Wanda Amos was on hand and bought the jersey of Huntsville defenseman Andy Willigar (a former Columbus player) for $10,000. ...

• Like 2

Many thanks to those who bid on jerseys, sticks, and ties. Special props to Wanda Amos, who plunked down 10K for Willigar's jersey, then gave it to a local Huntsville family who's a "NICU grad". Well over half a million dollars has been raised in the 12 years the Melissa George Night has been done! What progress has been made in just those 12 years. Believe me, when I was in residency back in the dark ages, the technology now is quite amazing, and these little ones surely need it. I can also tell you those NICU nurses and doctors are tremendous and have great skill- they take care of their charges incredibly well and for so long until the kids are ready to leave the NICU. I delivered a 23-week one in the ER a while back and the few minutes I had to manage that tiny patient until the NICU team came down was truly frightening for me, and humbling to see the way they immediately helped me and the staff in the "adult" ER and got that baby over to the NICU so quickly and expertly. We are blessed to have the high-quality NICU that we do at Huntsville Hospital, and to have the players, fans and staff to support the Melissa George Night at a Havoc game is a sweet added bonus. Doc  

• Like 3