Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
puckcounter

New Coach, Craigen, etc.....

51 minutes ago, AfghanPiehole said:

While I'm all about discipline and holding players acccountable, you've got to adapt your coaching style to today's athletes.  For as much as I like John Tortorella and Mike Keenan for their coaching styles, there's a reason they never last more than a couple of seasons in each city.  Players nowadays tune out coaches like that.  You need someone who can relate to the players, know what makes them tick and hold them accountable all at the same time.  Sure, a coach like Esposito can skate them till they puke but at some point, they will tune him out, shut down and just quit giving a damn.  If Esposito is such a great coach, why didn't he come to the SPHL sooner than this season or move up to the ECHL?

Can only tell ya what he did last year here and what his FHL record shows. I'm sure its a total different animal up there but he also didnt have the luxury of building the team from the jump     Hard to comment on the team there that i dont watch myself but looks as though there are goalie issues, maybe stupid penalties? Seems Pk needs some work for sure.

All a process i guess, Maybe they will just keep switching coaches instead of giving one some time to rebuild but a guy sure cant come in a make a last a first in 6-8 weeks.

40 minutes ago, Five Hole said:

Can only tell ya what he did last year here and what his FHL record shows. I'm sure its a total different animal up there but he also didnt have the luxury of building the team from the jump     Hard to comment on the team there that i dont watch myself but looks as though there are goalie issues, maybe stupid penalties? Seems Pk needs some work for sure.

All a process i guess, Maybe they will just keep switching coaches instead of giving one some time to rebuild but a guy sure cant come in a make a last a first in 6-8 weeks.

I agree to a certain extent but instead of getting better, we're getting worse while the rest of the teams are getting better or we're making all of them look better.

3 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

I agree to a certain extent but instead of getting better, we're getting worse while the rest of the teams are getting better or we're making all of them look better.

I agree .

Made ourselves look great last night while making Roanoke look pretty bad. I especially loved seeing Roanoke fans at the jersey auction afterward purchasing the Marksmen scout jerseys! GO MARKSMEN! 

:Marksmen: :Marksmen: :Marksmen: :Marksmen: :Marksmen: 

• Like 1

Sounds like Phil is starting to make excuses like the first coach did this year after reading in the news paper today time to make a coach change again Antz did 4 what would hurt for sure.

On 1/28/2018 at 2:46 PM, MarksmenArtist said:

Dead horse needed beating again? 

That's right need to beat him right out of town what a joke.

Don't think it's the coach, we have no speed and very marginal talent only about six players of sp hl quality. If our goalie doesn't play out of his mind or if Jake or two others don't score we are done, nobody else can score. A coach can't get blood out of a rock, and we have too much dead weight on this team.

3 hours ago, antman said:

Don't think it's the coach, we have no speed and very marginal talent only about six players of sp hl quality. If our goalie doesn't play out of his mind or if Jake or two others don't score we are done, nobody else can score. A coach can't get blood out of a rock, and we have too much dead weight on this team.

Very true. But since coaching change things have gotten worse. All other clubs near bottom have improved. They’ve basically played each other. Wondering  if Esposito is getting paid in food and drink. He seems lost, panic talk. Town deserves at better bench boss.

Esposito kind of looks like Bryan Wells and their winning % in Fayetteville is pretty close as well.  

20 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

Esposito kind of looks like Bryan Wells and their winning % in Fayetteville is pretty close as well.  

good job there Piehole tell it like you see it.

On 1/28/2018 at 2:46 PM, MarksmenArtist said:

Dead horse needed beating again? 

:deadhorse:

Edited by AfghanPiehole

Talked last night to some season ticket holders and they will not be back if Phil is  the coach next year. We all could not belive they had the chance to hire Mike Craigen and did not sign the deal.Well we all know certain booster club members will always take up for there certain team mates that should been gone long time ago like Phil should be shown the door by now to.

36 minutes ago, puckcounter said:

Talked last night to some season ticket holders and they will not be back if Phil is  the coach next year. We all could not belive they had the chance to hire Mike Craigen and did not sign the deal.Well we all know certain booster club members will always take up for there certain team mates that should been gone long time ago like Phil should be shown the door by now to.

I have found 5-6 threads made by you about Craigen or "coach".......I have merged them together. Please stop making new threads about the same topic every other week. I'd rather you have 1 thread with 900 pages of comments than 15-20 threads 1-3 pages long about that one topic. We get your point, you want a new coach......again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

I have found 5-6 threads made by you about Craigen or "coach".......I have merged them together. Please stop making new threads about the same topic every other week. I'd rather you have 1 thread with 900 pages of comments than 15-20 threads 1-3 pages long about that one topic. We get your point, you want a new coach......again. 

Well if you guys do change coach again you better pick a good one that finally sticks.  It doesnt look very good having 3 coaches in a 1 year period.  Especially to a potential coach who wants job stability and a real chance at trying to coach.  Have to show the coaches that you are willing to give them a chance.  Not sure how firing a coach a few games in the season and then if you happen to fire this one at the end of your season is doing that.  Yes, they arent doing well but this coach didnt recruit most of his players.  Maybe he just needs a chance to put his own team together?  Or maybe not.   But what kind of coach is going to want to uproot his family to come coach a team that continually keeps rotating coaches?  Roanoke's new coach hasnt came in and changed his whole team.  He has recruited a few guys from the FHL who have fit well with his system.   Eric Witzel, Matt Beer, Taylor Love, and Cameron Bakker.  He got one from waivers in Darius Cole.  So he is basically doing what he is doing with the same talent on the team.  We are just lucky the players are buying into him and so far they seem to be striving.  Either way im rooting for you guys to turn things around, I know it sucks losing.

• Like 3

Thanks Marksmen3519. At least all the dead horse beating and same old same old whining will all be on the same thread for now. All the STHs I know were missed in this ever so official "poll" that was taken. Maybe we can catch the next one...but, it still isn't our decision who to hire or recruit for ANY position. I'll just continue to stay positive over here and stay away from negativity. Oh...one more thing...

GO MARKSMEN!!! :Marksmen:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Well if you guys do change coach again you better pick a good one that finally sticks.  It doesnt look very good having 3 coaches in a 1 year period.  Especially to a potential coach who wants job stability and a real chance at trying to coach.  Have to show the coaches that you are willing to give them a chance.  Not sure how firing a coach a few games in the season and then if you happen to fire this one at the end of your season is doing that.  Yes, they arent doing well but this coach didnt recruit most of his players.  Maybe he just needs a chance to put his own team together?  Or maybe not.   But what kind of coach is going to want to uproot his family to come coach a team that continually keeps rotating coaches?  Roanoke's new coach hasnt came in and changed his whole team.  He has recruited a few guys from the FHL who have fit well with his system.   Eric Witzel, Matt Beer, Taylor Love, and Cameron Bakker.  He got one from waivers in Darius Cole.  So he is basically doing what he is doing with the same talent on the team.  We are just lucky the players are buying into him and so far they seem to be striving.  Either way im rooting for you guys to turn things around, I know it sucks losing.

I know Dawgs fans are happy with Bremner, your team is definitely doing better. He is turning your team around, even though Bremner is someone Fayetteville fans dont like for reasons that occured when he played for Peoria, he is doing a good job behind the bench. Thanks for the support. Call ups have hurt Fayetteville the most. Would love to get them back soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

I know Dawgs fans are happy with Bremner, your team is definitely doing better. He is turning your team around, even though Bremner is someone Fayetteville fans dont like for reasons that occured when he played for Peoria, he is doing a good job behind the bench. Thanks for the support. Call ups have hurt Fayetteville the most. Would love to get them back soon.

To add to that.  If I remember right, lost quite a few guys to going to play oversees and then some bad luck with players from trades not playing for team.  Might not seem like much but players sticking together and playing multiple years together builds a lot of chemistry.  We may have not made playoffs last year but have a lot of the same players who have been playing together for a couple years now.  From what I remember about your team a lot of the team is a whole new squad.  Has to count for something players playing together for multiple years would have a better chemistry then a whole new team thrown together.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

To add to that.  If I remember right, lost quite a few guys to going to play oversees and then some bad luck with players from trades not playing for team.  Might not seem like much but players sticking together and playing multiple years together builds a lot of chemistry.  We may have not made playoffs last year but have a lot of the same players who have been playing together for a couple years now.  From what I remember about your team a lot of the team is a whole new squad.  Has to count for something players playing together for multiple years would have a better chemistry then a whole new team thrown together.

I agree. That is a major point.

16 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Pretty good observation I’d say. Right out of “Phil’s” old backyard.

4 hours ago, Jingle Nuts said:

Pretty good observation I’d say. Right out of “Phil’s” old backyard.

The difference is that Bremner has been a lot more successful in making changes and getting the best out of his guys while Espo is, well, who knows what's going on with our team.  Bremner is a rookie coach but has already shown he's good and will continue to get better.  You guys got a winner up there!