Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
puckcounter

New Coach, Craigen, etc.....

25 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

You're stealin' my lines!

It's too easy when it comes to puckcounter.....I think they hold the record for most posts that need translating due to sorry spelling and grammar....

56 minutes ago, jbgentry said:

It's too easy when it comes to puckcounter.....I think they hold the record for most posts that need translating due to sorry spelling and grammar....

There are LOTS of easy pickin's on these boards- not only puckcounter.

• Sad 1

Let's see.....Fayetteville 2017-2018 season.... 2 wins

McNeil.....2 GWG's....5 goals so far.

The last I checked there are more than 1 player on every team responsible for contributing to make an effort  to get more W's!

Maybe Mahoney should change his name to Baloney !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carey Mahoney said:

It's not the coach.  It's the curse of Kyle McNeil.

46 minutes ago, averagejoe said:

Let's see.....Fayetteville 2017-2018 season.... 2 wins

McNeil.....2 GWG's....5 goals so far.

The last I checked there are more than 1 player on every team responsible for contributing to make an effort  to get more W's!

Maybe Mahoney should change his name to Baloney !

Well, McNeil was on Huntsville 2 yrs ago......16G and 13A.....team finished 7th in a 9 team league.....Last year he was with Knoxville, 14G and 7A.....team finished 6th in a 10 team league.....both teams made playoffs

Kyle has produced well since leaving Fay, and is doing well here (like averagejoe mentioned, 5G in 9 games and 2 GWGs)......opposed to a rookie coach with zero coaching experience in his first year trying to put pieces together to see what works. 

1 hour ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Well, McNeil was on Huntsville 2 yrs ago......16G and 13A.....team finished 7th in a 9 team league.....Last year he was with Knoxville, 14G and 7A.....team finished 6th in a 10 team league.....both teams made playoffs

Kyle has produced well since leaving Fay, and is doing well here (like averagejoe mentioned, 5G in 9 games and 2 GWGs)......opposed to a rookie coach with zero coaching experience in his first year trying to put pieces together to see what works. 

I agree

9 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

So far, our coach has successfully accomplished finding out what doesn't work.

On 11/18/2017 at 4:21 PM, Marksmen3519 said:

4 of his 6 professional seasons have been losing seasons.  Take a look at the Huntsville year.  It's amazing.  If I remember correctly, he scored 12 of those goals against Knoxville and almost all of them on the small ice in Knoxville.  He was atrocious in Knoxville last year.  I actually like Kyle and think he's a decent guy, but having him on your team basically assures that your ceiling is mediocrity or worse.

2 hours ago, Carey Mahoney said:

4 of his 6 professional seasons have been losing seasons.  Take a look at the Huntsville year.  It's amazing.  If I remember correctly, he scored 12 of those goals against Knoxville and almost all of them on the small ice in Knoxville.  He was atrocious in Knoxville last year.  I actually like Kyle and think he's a decent guy, but having him on your team basically assures that your ceiling is mediocrity or worse.

His stats has gotten better over the last 4 years compared to his first 2 years. In 10 games he has 6 pts and 5G.....he may not be a 30+ pt guy, but he has gotten better since he doesn't fight as much as his early years in Fay. We havent looked to him as a goal scorer and this early in the season 5G in 10 games is good for him. 

Hockey is a team sport. A sport that teams do better if everyone contributes instead of just 1 or 2 guys. McNeil isnt a player like Josh McQuade, Kevin Swider or Rob Sich, but he does his part. That part this year, as was the last 2-4 years, be more offensively productive and less tough guy.

Screenshot_2017-11-19-21-22-14.png

12 minutes ago, Marksmen3519 said:

His stats has gotten better over the last 4 years compared to his first 2 years. In 10 games he has 6 pts and 5G.....he may not be a 30+ pt guy, but he has gotten better since he doesn't fight as much as his early years in Fay. We havent looked to him as a goal scorer and this early in the season 5G in 10 games is good for him. 

Hockey is a team sport. A sport that teams do better if everyone contributes instead of just 1 or 2 guys. McNeil isnt a player like Josh McQuade, Kevin Swider or Rob Sich, but he does his part. That part this year, as was the last 2-4 years, be more offensively productive and less tough guy.

Screenshot_2017-11-19-21-22-14.png

He is fine if he's a 10th forward that you stand in front of the goal for screens or tips.  Fayetteville doesn't have that luxury because Drobot eats up that 10th spot as a goon.  When you have McNeil on a regular shift and he is killing penalties, etc; you have a roster problem. 

2 hours ago, Carey Mahoney said:

18 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

He is fine if he's a 10th forward that you stand in front of the goal for screens or tips.  Fayetteville doesn't have that luxury because Drobot eats up that 10th spot as a goon.  When you have McNeil on a regular shift and he is killing penalties, etc; you have a roster problem. 

Your comments (bold), are hinting at the fact McNeil being on our roster is the reason we are 2-7-1. When really we are in the bottom of the standings because, no matter how many goals our team scores, our defense breaks down and can't stop opposing teams from scoring. Some Fayetteville fans know a few defensemen who should be cut and replaced. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Your comments (bold), are hinting at the fact McNeil being on our roster is the reason we are 2-7-1. When really we are in the bottom of the standings because, no matter how many goals our team scores, our defense breaks down and can't stop opposing teams from scoring. Some Fayetteville fans know a few defensemen who should be cut and replaced. 

I'm not saying that McNeil is the absolute cause of your problems.  I am saying that McNeil's presence on your roster shows that your roster is extremely poor, which likely leads to your poor record.  If you have a decent roster, McNeil only get a call on a weekend after nine members of the team get food poisoning at Timmy and Sue's Diner in Irmo, SC on the drive to Macon for a Tuesday evening 25th Anniversary of Fast Times at Ridgemont High Celebration night game.

49 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

I'm not saying that McNeil is the absolute cause of your problems.  I am saying that McNeil's presence on your roster shows that your roster is extremely poor, which likely leads to your poor record.  If you have a decent roster, McNeil only get a call on a weekend after nine members of the team get food poisoning at Timmy and Sue's Diner in Irmo, SC on the drive to Macon for a Tuesday evening 25th Anniversary of Fast Times at Ridgemont High Celebration night game.

You are funny, I get it.  McNeil is not the problem. He could fit in on a good SPHL team when surrounded by good players.  But go ahead and post again if you feel you must to make your point again.  The Marksmen went out and signed many players from the FHL and that  is where the major issues are.  The players are young, inexperienced and slow to adapt to the speed of the next higher level.  Without McNeil we'd be 0-8-1 maybe 0-9.  And I don't know if you've noticed but the current roster is poor, the record don't lie.

Edited by dennis07
  • Like 2

Replacing a rookie coach 10-15 games into the season is a 50/50 call.  On one hand, it could send a message to the players, they respond to the new coach, turn things around, salvage the season and become a playoff championship contending team.  On the other hand, it could backfire and yes, things could continue to get worse.  A new coach could come in, take a while to instill his system and expections, make a slew of roster transactions and struggle to make the playoffs if we're that lucky.

This is a huge season for hockey in Fayetteville with new ownership and front office.  The excitement is there and fan support is up so the emphasis on having a winning team, even a team that wins 50% of the games would be considered a success at this point, is critical to continuing that success into next season.  

I'll continue to have faith in the ownership and front office to make whatever changes they feel necessary to make.  They have a lot more invested in the on-ice product than any of us and that translates to fan support in the form of season ticket holders and the casual fans/families and corporate sponsors.  They've done great so far and have proven they want to make this a the premier sports franchise in Fayetteille.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, AfghanPiehole said:

Replacing a rookie coach 10-15 games into the season is a 50/50 call.  On one hand, it could send a message to the players, they respond to the new coach, turn things around, salvage the season and become a playoff championship contending team.  On the other hand, it could backfire and yes, things could continue to get worse.  A new coach could come in, take a while to instill his system and expections, make a slew of roster transactions and struggle to make the playoffs if we're that lucky.

This is a huge season for hockey in Fayetteville with new ownership and front office.  The excitement is there and fan support is up so the emphasis on having a winning team, even a team that wins 50% of the games would be considered a success at this point, is critical to continuing that success into next season.  

I'll continue to have faith in the ownership and front office to make whatever changes they feel necessary to make.  They have a lot more invested in the on-ice product than any of us and that translates to fan support in the form of season ticket holders and the casual fans/families and corporate sponsors.  They've done great so far and have proven they want to make this a the premier sports franchise in Fayetteille.

I agree Toby

3 hours ago, puckcounter said:

I say is it time to give Craigen a chance he will turn this team around for sure.

They could have hired him as soon as it was announced Bes wasn't coming back but why would he ever want to inherit this doodie* show of a roster.  This org decided to go the route they did and now they have to dig out from the gigantic hole that was dug.

8 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

They could have hired him as soon as it was announced Bes wasn't coming back but why would he ever want to inherit this doodie* show of a roster.  This org decided to go the route they did and now they have to dig out from the gigantic hole that was dug.

I agree but he could help alot with players that would come here to play for him.

There are a few SPHL veteran coaches out there who could step in now. But for being turned around, it'll be very hard to do that unless a coach has a few players he could pull out of retirement as a favor.

Edited by center33
  • Like 1