Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernHockeyGirl

Coach Phil Esposito Fired

4 hours ago, Harlan said:

I never said Esposito was qualified either. I just said Bierchen isn't. His only head coaching experience is at the club hockey level, which, for the most part, is barely competitive.

You seriously have zero clue what you’re talking about.  

Bremner was an ACHA Asst when he got the job in Roanoke and he’s doing quite well.  Bierchen was an Asst in SPHL for 3 seasons, a Head Coach at ACHA Alabama (Not Asst) and then an Asst at ECHL Indy.  

That’s actually VERY qualified to be SPHL Head Coach.   Smh

• Like 2

Someone is always going to light the torches and rally the troops no matter WHAT is done. It's best just to ignore it. Just support the team you love in any sport - cheer when they win and pout & be sad when they lose. Life comes in cycles. No reason to waste energy on it.

GO COACH BIERCHEN!

6 hours ago, Harlan said:

I never said Esposito was qualified either. I just said Bierchen isn't. His only head coaching experience is at the club hockey level, which, for the most part, is barely competitive.

Bierchen's more qualified than you'll give him credit for. He has a better resume than Craigen did when he became a head coach.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Harlan said:

We'll agree to disagree on this point then I suspect. Several years as an assistant at this level and a little above alone would qualify him in my opinion. The head coaching was simply icing on the cake. The SPHL isn't a top tier league, so much like the players, you're going to be serving as the first 'pro' testing ground for people.

20 hours ago, MarksmenManiac said:

You seriously have zero clue what you’re talking about.  

Bremner was an ACHA Asst when he got the job in Roanoke and he’s doing quite well.  Bierchen was an Asst in SPHL for 3 seasons, a Head Coach at ACHA Alabama (Not Asst) and then an Asst at ECHL Indy.  

That’s actually VERY qualified to be SPHL Head Coach.   Smh

Wrong. Dude has zero playing experience. He's not respected by professional players. Don't you think he'd have coached with a team that wasn't a mess if he was qualified?

Edited by Harlan

18 hours ago, Speedracer said:

Bierchen's more qualified than you'll give him credit for. He has a better resume than Craigen did when he became a head coach.

Wrong. Craigen had extensive playing experience in the SPHL. Bierchen hasn't even put on skates for a professional game.

On 2/22/2018 at 7:52 AM, Jingle Nuts said:

Players arguing with THE COACH on the bench. NOT GOOD in any sport. All of the hoopla that led up to THE COACHES debut was just that NOICE. A guy who forced his was in the back door turned out to be way over his head. In the FHL he had a winning record with teams who were moneymakers. When he went to an organization that was shy a dime  here and there he just about made playoffs. I tried explaining that enough times. Now the proof is in the pudding. Back to moms basement for the  “other” Phil Esposito.

Looks like there are 2-3 coaches over their head with this team.  You and Pie-Hole should be calling for heads soon the way this is starting out... What Agenda You Say?  Riiiiight!

2 hours ago, Harlan said:

Wrong. Dude has zero playing experience. He's not respected by professional players. Don't you think he'd have coached with a team that wasn't a mess if he was qualified?

I think the more you write, the more evident it is that you have no idea what you’re talking about.  

Bierchen played collegiate hockey and was a back up goalie in sphl as well. 

But, you don’t have to be a player to be a good coach.  You know how I know That???

google the name Scotty Bowman... he’s a pretty decent coach that never played high level hockey.  I think his name is on a trophy somewhere. Oh yeah, it’s called the STANLEY CUP!!!!  Like 10 times!!!!!!!    

The forum has so many smart people on it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Five Hole said:

Looks like there are 2-3 coaches over their head with this team.  You and Pie-Hole should be calling for heads soon the way this is starting out... What Agenda You Say?  Riiiiight!

Thanks for thinking about me there buddy.....

Edited by AfghanPiehole
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Harlan said:

Thats funny, the article posted in the first post for this thread says he comes highly recommended from people in the NHL.  So unless the owners are lying, he is respected by somebody in the pros.

11 hours ago, MarksmenManiac said:

I think the more you write, the more evident it is that you have no idea what you’re talking about.  

Bierchen played collegiate hockey and was a back up goalie in sphl as well. 

But, you don’t have to be a player to be a good coach.  You know how I know That???

google the name Scotty Bowman... he’s a pretty decent coach that never played high level hockey.  I think his name is on a trophy somewhere. Oh yeah, it’s called the STANLEY CUP!!!!  Like 10 times!!!!!!!    

The forum has so many smart people on it. 

No, he played club hockey in college. There's a huge difference. And he was an emergency backup goalie. Any idiot with pads can fill that role.

Scotty Bowman played the equivalent of Major Junior hockey, a level Bierchen wasn't good enough to play.

4 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Thats funny, the article posted in the first post for this thread says he comes highly recommended from people in the NHL.  So unless the owners are lying, he is respected by somebody in the pros.

Why would these owners tell the truth? Their franchise is a mess that is hemorrhaging money and has been for years. They need fans to keep showing up so they don't completely lose their ass, so they make any change they can to make it look like they're doing something - anything - to feign competitiveness while they rebuild for next year. 

They drew just over 2,100 last night and they're averaging less than 3,000/game in a cavernous arena that's managed by Spectacor, which is well-known to provide less than friendly lease terms to minor league hockey teams. 

And what did they put out there? A team that scored one goal and went 0-for-6 on the PP

Great job.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harlan said:

Why would these owners tell the truth? Their franchise is a mess that is hemorrhaging money and has been for years. They need fans to keep showing up so they don't completely lose their ass, so they make any change they can to make it look like they're doing something - anything - to feign competitiveness while they rebuild for next year. 

They drew just over 2,100 last night and they're averaging less than 3,000/game in a cavernous arena that's managed by Spectacor, which is well-known to provide less than friendly lease terms to minor league hockey teams. 

And what did they put out there? A team that scored one goal and went 0-for-6 on the PP

Great job.

And yet with a different bench boss... The fools that think this team is a coaching problem are just that. 1st coach,2nd coach,3rd coach does not matter.. Yeah i know- Some will say its only been 2 games and some make a statement like=Oh it was a close loss and really a success. Just goes to show the true story yet again.

11 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

Thanks for thinking about me there buddy.....

Not a problem. Sure it will come around again soon enough. 

11 hours ago, Harlan said:

No, he played club hockey in college. There's a huge difference. And he was an emergency backup goalie. Any idiot with pads can fill that role.

Scotty Bowman played the equivalent of Major Junior hockey, a level Bierchen wasn't good enough to play.