Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernHockeyGirl

Coach Phil Esposito Fired

Wow.  Tough situation whenever you have to make in-season changes - especially two of them. I hope it works out for the Marksmen - lots of good people there and give the owners credit for trying to right the ship.

Hope it works out.

• Like 3

The team has also announced the hiring of John Bierchen as interim Head Coach.

Interim. As opposed to the other two guys who were head coaches this season.

This shouldn't come as much of a surprise.  My guess is that Bierchen is a fill-in while they wait to see who's available after most of the leagues have concluded their seasons.  I just hope the ownership finally makes a good call for once when it comes to hiring a new coach......The front office has done a great job with marketing, promotions and ticket sales.  Hockey is on the up and up in Fayetteville.  Attendance is up by a good amount and should continue on an upward trajectory next season.  For that, I say awesome job!!!!!!  Much to be happy about with that........Now we just need to get the hockey operations side of the house fixed!!!!!....

This guy isn't at all qualified. What a joke. The SPHL gong show continues.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Harlan said:

This guy isn't at all qualified. What a joke. 

Roanoke fans may have thought the same of Dan Bremner when he was brought in earlier this season.  Now he's the coach of arguably the best team (certainly the hottest) in the league.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Harlan said:

This guy isn't at all qualified. What a joke. The SPHL gong show continues.

Unqualified for a struggling team in the SPHL

• 2017 Asst Coach ECHL Indy Fuel
  • 2016-17 Head Coach Alabama 
  • 2013-16 Asst Coach SPHL Columbus Cottonmouths
  • 2012-13 Asst Coach SUNY Canton

I'm not sure I see the huge separation between him and an FHL retread. The season is almost over, so you aren't going to be bringing any HOFers out to finish the year. Why not try out a young guy to see if he could be your coach for the future?

• Like 3

Some of us has been calling for Phil to go. Wonder if ownership had Input from of the Senior players? Let's see what the new coach can do. Who knows? Can't do any worse than Phil. Hopefully we'll get back some of our better skaters from the E and make a move up the standings.

Wow... Let's give the guy a chance. As already stated I don't think things here could get much worse. I am sure the senior players had a lot to do with the move to replace the coach but even more so was Esposito's stats. Granted he was in a bad situation as well but I also feel he didn't improve it much if any at all. I'm just saying be somewhat positive be it good better or worse he is gonna be with us through the remainder of the season lets not beat him down before we give him an opportunity to see what he has got. I have lived in Fayetteville my whole life and I know we are a town of hard asses and we want what we want. Well come to the games and beat on the glass and hoot and holler till the whole town hears what you got to say and fire this damn team up....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

Roanoke fans may have thought the same of Dan Bremner when he was brought in earlier this season.  Now he's the coach of arguably the best team (certainly the hottest) in the league.  

Absolutely true.  Dan's prior coaching experience was as an assistant coach of a club level team at Ohio University - that's all.

Some Roanoke fans thought it was a crazy hire and I could see why looking at the resume. 

BUT, so far it has turned out to be pretty darn good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scline74 said:

be it good better or worse he is gonna be with us through the remainder of the season 

You sure? There are still 15 games left to be played in the Marksmen 2017-18 regular season!

Edited by PlannedObsolescence

21 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

You sure? There are still 15 games left to be played in the Marksmen 2017-18 regular season!

TRUE..lol but something tells me we want try again....THIS season

Anybody see games in Peoria?  Did all this really happen thats in comments?  If so no wonder he was fired.  Also your former goaltender's dad had a message for Fayetteville fans.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155483694548348&id=107898913347

12 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Anybody see games in Peoria?  Did all this really happen thats in comments?  If so no wonder he was fired.  Also your former goaltender's dad had a message for Fayetteville fans.

I said from day one it was a defensive problem......not goalie, but nooooo I was wrong......at least thats what I was told by some people.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MarksmenArtist said:

And DiSalvo Senior's opinions change....what????  Nothing. 

Thats not what i was referring to. I just mentioned his dad's comments.  I was talking about the comments that said your goalie was pissed and had to take himself out of the game and the players were arguing with Esposito on the bench.

7 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Thats not what i was referring to. I just mentioned his dad's comments.  I was talking about the comments that said your goalie was pissed and had to take himself out of the game and the players were arguing with Esposito on the bench.

Players proved they were not very good in many places, Maybe if they would listen to a coach they may improve themselves and team wise. Coach made it known public where the team was weak and they proved that themselves.  There is no coach going to make this group of players turn into a good team. 3 weeks from now they will still only have another win or two with this new fill in coach.  Team needs a total revamp.

3 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

7 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Players arguing with THE COACH on the bench. NOT GOOD in any sport. All of the hoopla that led up to THE COACHES debut was just that NOICE. A guy who forced his was in the back door turned out to be way over his head. In the FHL he had a winning record with teams who were moneymakers. When he went to an organization that was shy a dime  here and there he just about made playoffs. I tried explaining that enough times. Now the proof is in the pudding. Back to moms basement for the  “other” Phil Esposito.

Edited by Jingle Nuts
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MarksmenArtist said:

And DiSalvo Senior's opinions change....what????  Nothing. 

What is his opinion supposed to change ?

On 2/21/2018 at 11:08 AM, ShaunS said:

Unqualified for a struggling team in the SPHL

• 2017 Asst Coach ECHL Indy Fuel
  • 2016-17 Head Coach Alabama 
  • 2013-16 Asst Coach SPHL Columbus Cottonmouths
  • 2012-13 Asst Coach SUNY Canton

I'm not sure I see the huge separation between him and an FHL retread. The season is almost over, so you aren't going to be bringing any HOFers out to finish the year. Why not try out a young guy to see if he could be your coach for the future?

I never said Esposito was qualified either. I just said Bierchen isn't. His only head coaching experience is at the club hockey level, which, for the most part, is barely competitive.