Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Olympic Women's Gold Medal game

15 posts in this topic

USA, Canada set for ‘battle of the ages’

USA-Canada square off for gold tonight at 11:10 p.m. ET on NBCSN

The U.S. women’s hockey team has had plenty of success in recent years, but one achievement has eluded the club for two decades. They came close in the 2010 Winter Games, even closer during the Sochi Olympics, but the Americans have been chasing the gold medal since they won the inaugural edition of the women’s tournament in 1998.

The 20-year drought almost seems like a typo for a program that has won three consecutive world championships and eight of the past 10. Now, in its fifth gold-medal showdown against Canada, the United States will try to set the record straight.

"You train four years for this one game,” Monique Lamoureux-Morando said. “This is what we worked for, the chance to win."

Read more at: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/usa-canada-set-battle-ages

LIVE STREAM

Awards Earned

Szabados, former Columbus goalie in net for Canada

Awards Earned

23 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

What happened in overtime?  I was getting updates from espn and they announced Canada won it in overtime.  They said USA was peppering Canada with a lot of shots at first than USA took a penalty and Canada scored.  I went on break and went to start reading recap of the game and it then said USA won.  Just wondering the reason they first said Canada won?

Awards Earned

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

What happened in overtime?  I was getting updates from espn and they announced Canada won it in overtime.  They said USA was peppering Canada with a lot of shots at first than USA took a penalty and Canada scored.  I went on break and went to start reading recap of the game and it then said USA won.  Just wondering the reason they first said Canada won?

I have no idea why they would say Canada won. The USA controlled most of overtime, but couldn't find the back of the net and then took a penalty with about a minute and a half to go.  I was literally holding my breath on that one. 

Canada did take the lead during the shootout so maybe the reporter didn't understand that the shootout was best of 5 (the shootout actually went to six rounds) 

Edited by Roanokehockey

Awards Earned

24 minutes ago, Roanokehockey said:

... The USA controlled most of overtime, but couldn't find the back of the net and then took a penalty with about a minute and a half to go.  I was literally holding my breath on that one. ...

Good thing there weren't any extended stoppages in play during that penalty kill.  faint.gif

• Like 1

Awards Earned

That's okay. The New York Times originally reported that, in the final shootout round, "Lamoureux-Davidson scored first against Canada goaltender Geneviève Lacasse" before eventually correcting it to say "Shannon Szabados". She and Maddie Rooney played all 80 minutes. And team USA did control most of the overtime period - even with a penalty kill.

Awards Earned

2 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

ESPN did not want the USA to win does not fit their narrative

• Like 1

Awards Earned

One of the Canadian players took off her silver medal right after receiving it. At least she didn't throw it into the stands a la the 1/7/18 post Junior hockey player tosses silver medal into the stands

Awards Earned

Praise for goalie Shannon Szabados in gold-medal loss

By Lori Ewing - The Canadian Press

GANGNEUNG, Korea, Republic Of -- Canadians celebrated Shannon Szabados as a national hero on Thursday.

Speaking quietly to reporters in the aftermath of Canada's heartbreaking loss to the United States for Olympic women's hockey gold, her eyes brimming with tears, Szabados didn't feel like one.

"It's disappointing," she said. "You battle all game, the girls played well, it's tough when it goes to a shootout, a little bit different game than the team game on the ice. Tough one to swallow, for sure."

The 31-year-old stopped 40 of 42 shots, including nine in overtime, in Canada's 3-2 shootout loss -- and was the key reason Canada lived to see overtime and a shootout at all.

Despite playing just three games in the tournament, Szabados earned the IIHF Directorate Award as the tournament's top goaltender.

Her name was trending on Twitter after the game as Canadian fans praised the three-time Olympian.

"Shannon Szabados is a g@# d$%& legend too. Amazing athlete, and kept Canada in it .... everyone back home is saluting you and your team!" tweeted Canadian country singer Brett Kissel.

Read more at: https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/praise-for-goalie-shannon-szabados-in-gold-medal-loss-1.3814205

Awards Earned

10 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

I have no idea why they would say Canada won. The USA controlled most of overtime, but couldn't find the back of the net and then took a penalty with about a minute and a half to go.  I was literally holding my breath on that one. 

Canada did take the lead during the shootout so maybe the reporter didn't understand that the shootout was best of 5 (the shootout actually went to six rounds) 

me either.  I did find in one article that in OT, Canada thought they won and prematurely celebrated.  Thats the only other thing i can think of.

Awards Earned

Watching it back... with 0:43 left in OT and Canada on the power play, Johnston put a shot across the goal mouth, nearly striking iron on both sides. On the replay, announcer AJ Mleczko pointed out that she and Jenner both raised their hands in celebration, thinking it had gone in. Maybe the writer stopped watching at that point. It's happened in this league.

Fun fact. That's twice now that Team USA has prevented an opponent from winning 5 straight Gold medals. And it happened on the same day, 38 years apart.

Awards Earned

5 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Watching it back... with 0:43 left in OT and Canada on the power play, Johnston put a shot across the goal mouth, nearly striking iron on both sides. On the replay, announcer AJ Mleczko pointed out that she and Jenner both raised their hands in celebration, thinking it had gone in. Maybe the writer stopped watching at that point. It's happened in this league.

Fun fact. That's twice now that Team USA has prevented an opponent from winning 5 straight Gold medals. And it happened on the same day, 38 years apart.

That is probably it because they did say USA was on a penalty kill in OT when Canada supposedly scored and won it.

Awards Earned