Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
Greg81102

Wheeling Nailers Offering Free Tickets For Everyone

The Hockey Club of the Ohio Valley must have some real deep pockets in Wheeling.  They are constantly at the bottom of attendance in the ECHL, yet still afford to give free tickets to everyone for today's Education Day.

http://wheelingnailers.com/news/nailers-offering-free-tickets-education-day-wednesday

All I can figger is that the Nailers' current owners have their own mini-Bureau of Engraving & Printing in the basement of WesBanco Arena.  :dontgetit:

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

The Hockey Club of the Ohio Valley must have some real deep pockets in Wheeling.  They are constantly at the bottom of attendance in the ECHL, yet still afford to give free tickets to everyone for today's Education Day.

http://wheelingnailers.com/news/nailers-offering-free-tickets-education-day-wednesday

If the teachers haven't ended their strike (apparently they've reached an agreement, but have they returned to work?), there's no excuse for not having a good attendance for this game.

Edited by PlannedObsolescence

51 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I did come across this.  Not sure how accurate it is but by this they generate close to $600k in revenue annually.  Wish I knew their business secrets.:dizzy:

http://www.buzzfile.com/business/Wheeling-Nailers-Hockey-304-234-4625

(estimated) Revenues are one side, but costs are the other side of their balance sheet.  Not likely they break even.

9 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

If the teachers haven't ended their strike (apparently they've reached an agreement, but have they returned to work?), there's no excuse for not having a good attendance for this game.

And if they HAVE gone back to work, what better way to celebrate than to skip school & see a hockey game for free?

In Evansville, the teams have always worked directly with the schools to give away or give out highly discounted tickets. I think it's a brilliant marketing cost because you're hopefully stoking the interest of kids who can drive their parents purchases. The fact that they were able to actually sell the tickets seemed like a masterstroke. Some profit and a ton of potential future customers?

32 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

And if they HAVE gone back to work, what better way to celebrate than to skip school & see a hockey game for free?

I've been trying to see the attendance.  But I guess they might not have counted since it was free.  I can't imagine kids wanting to skip a hockey game to go to school!

17 minutes ago, ShaunS said:

In Evansville, the teams have always worked directly with the schools to give away or give out highly discounted tickets. I think it's a brilliant marketing cost because you're hopefully stoking the interest of kids who can drive their parents purchases. The fact that they were able to actually sell the tickets seemed like a masterstroke. Some profit and a ton of potential future customers?

The RiverKings do lots of 10 AM hockey games for the kids. Horrible start time for the players, though.