Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Speedracer

25 years ago (March 13)...

Lancerlot Arena was damaged by the Blizzard of 1993 (A.K.A. the "Storm of the Century") and an ECHL hockey game was called off (I believe after the owner of the arena heard one of the steel supports pop and/or give way to the weight of the snow).

Perhaps the locals can refresh my memory on that. I remember it made national news.

EDIT: Found an archive story:

The Rampage’s home schedule came to a fitting conclusion on March 13, 1993 during the Blizzard of ’93.  40 MPH winds battered the LancerLot while inside a crowd of 63 paying customers (according to The Baltimore Sun) watched the Rampage play their final home game against the Richmond Renegades.  With Roanoke Valley down 6-2 in the second period, officials stopped the game when the arena roof began to buckle under 16 inches of snow.  Players, staff and fans rushed to vacate the arena.  The roof collapsed four hours later.

The Rampage had one road game left at Hampton Roads to finish out the season.  The team’s gear was buried in the rubble, so the 11 remaining players borrowed jerseys and equipment from area recreational leagues.  They lost 9-4 in Norfolk on March 16, 1993.

Larry Revo moved the franchise to Alabama in 1993 where the team became the Huntsville Blast.  He sold the club shortly thereafter.  The ECHL granted an expansion franchise to begin play at a proper hockey venue, the 8,600-seat Roanaoke Civic Center, in the fall of 1993.  The Roanoke Express lasted eleven seasons in the ECHL and enjoyed a period of strong popularity in the mid-1990’s, but they are a story for another day.

Yes, thats what happened. But all kinds of roofs collapsed.  Dedmon Center in Radford collapsed.  Thousands of motorists were stuck on highways with 10 foot snowdrifts.  Numerous deaths occurred.  The official NWS total was 18 inches but people were saying over 30 was recorded in some places.  No matter what it was, it probably wasn't too smart to have a hockey game.  But you can say we had atleast 63 very die hard fans showed up.  I wasn't one of them!!!

I was planning on going, I was 16 and just dumb enough to venture out in that mess. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your veiwpoint, I didn't have my own car yet and my mom wouldn't let me go out in it. I had friends who came over to go to the game and they ended up getting stuck at my house for like 4 days. If I remember correctly, that was a very fitting end for that season.

Can we Hide this thread until March 13th?  We wouldn't wanna spoil the surprise for folks.  :unsure: