Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

Tough Game To Swallow

We gave that one away and looked tired at the end of it.  Now with Birmingham's win we could be looking on the outside looking in on the playoffs after tomorrow night.  Having to play Peoria last 4 games of the year, tomorrow night is about a must win game.  Hope they get some good rest and their feet back under them.  We need the win tomorrow night BAD!!!  Go Dawgs!!!

• Like 1

Starting to feel like Ftoreks rough start may be too much to overcome. Better win, in regulation tonight and sweep next weekend.

That 3rd was disgusting. Take bad penalties and take bad chances on defense and lose a game. Simple equation that plays out over and over. Guyon is a bright spot; how did it take a team folding to get him out of the FHL? if I’m an ECHL team I’m giving him a training camp invite. Back to the pessimism: I’ve had a nagging feeling for a while that the Bulls were going to sneak past for the #8 spot, and those fears are very real now. Even an 8-game win streak couldn’t shake those guys, and now strength of schedule could be a deciding factor. Dawgs have 4 with Peoria BUT Bulls have 3 with Pensacola still.

On a positive note, we have dragged Mississippi down into it. I think we are better than Mississippi and Fayetteville. We still have a good chance to finish in 8th.

That third period was absolutely pitiful.  The biggest issue has got to be the lack of PK here lately, 4-10 in the last three games. Either gotta fix that or stop taking penalties and that is pretty much impossible with the officials in this league. 

2 hours ago, Soulmiser said:

On a positive note, we have dragged Mississippi down into it. I think we are better than Mississippi and Fayetteville. We still have a good chance to finish in 8th.

Only thing that gets me with Mississippi is they still have 3 games left with Fayetteville.  The Marksmen finally got a win after a long losing streak so hopefully they will give us some help going down the stretch.

We had a couple of players  out for some reason and I thought we got out hit in the last period and I hate to say it but we don't have a fighter on the team we  were challenged a couple of times last night and just skated away, But we need a win tonight badly but not complaining just a observation.  GO DAWGS!  

Games don’t get too much bigger than the one with Birmingham tonight. Let’s go Dawgs!

Some observations from this weekend:

1. Not having Matt Beer and Taylor Love really cost us a lot. I'm not sure why they were scratched, I'm assuming it's injury related, but still, Beer has been one of our best players since he got here, I have no doubt that impacted things. 

2. We've gone from fast and physical to...well...neither of those. They're still out there skating hard, and playing significantly better than before Dan Bremner took over, but they just can't seem to establish good, consistent front net presence unless it's on a PP. Too many shots outside the point and slot, and way too reliant on the blue line for goals when on even strength (for everyone not named Witzel or Mele that is). Easy offense to defend against and not good for sustainability. 

3. Our defense is seriously suffering. Cameron Bakker was very lackluster this past weekend, and Yan Dumontier is probably one of the worst defenseman I've ever seen. His hands are awful, he's constantly behind the play and he gets out of position easily. He's a +1 and I'm not sure how. 

4. Daniel Vernace is great on a rush, but is a huge liability on defense. That high sticking call on a PK is pretty much what cost us the game, it gave Macon a 5-3 for 1:08. It doesn't matter who you are, that's tough to kill. 

1 hour ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

Some observations from this weekend:

1. Not having Matt Beer and Taylor Love really cost us a lot. I'm not sure why they were scratched, I'm assuming it's injury related, but still, Beer has been one of our best players since he got here, I have no doubt that impacted things. 

2. We've gone from fast and physical to...well...neither of those. They're still out there skating hard, and playing significantly better than before Dan Bremner took over, but they just can't seem to establish good, consistent front net presence unless it's on a PP. Too many shots outside the point and slot, and way too reliant on the blue line for goals when on even strength (for everyone not named Witzel or Mele that is). Easy offense to defend against and not good for sustainability. 

3. Our defense is seriously suffering. Cameron Bakker was very lackluster this past weekend, and Yan Dumontier is probably one of the worst defenseman I've ever seen. His hands are awful, he's constantly behind the play and he gets out of position easily. He's a +1 and I'm not sure how. 

4. Daniel Vernace is great on a rush, but is a huge liability on defense. That high sticking call on a PK is pretty much what cost us the game, it gave Macon a 5-3 for 1:08. It doesn't matter who you are, that's tough to kill. 

I liked Vernace last year but he has not really done a whole lot this year. I guess his line strategy is dump and chase based on what I saw this past weekend. It is not working out for him or his line.