Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Ice Bears Sign 7 Time SPHL Scoring Champion Swider

24 posts in this topic

Ice Bears Sign 7 Time SPHL Scoring Champion Swider

Ice Bears Press Release

Knoxville, TN (March 20, 2018) Knoxville Ice Bears head coach Jeff Carr announced Tuesday he has signed former Knoxville Ice Bears center Kevin Swider to a standard player contract.

Swider, former captain, led the SPHL in scoring in each of his seven seasons in the SPHL, was named SPHL league MVP three times and lead the Ice Bears to three SPHL President’s Cup Championships.  He retired following the 2011-2012 season. 

“I watched some video on him from when he played in Knoxville and I was impressed with ability to see the game.  After few discussions with Kevin and Murr (Mike Murray), we all agreed this was something that would be good for the team…. The desire to win an SPHL Championship.  He has the ability to win key faceoffs and distribute the puck to some highly skilled players,” said Carr. 

During his career, Swider has amassed 687 points (253 G, 434 A) in 375 games played, an average of 1.83 points per game.  He is the only player in SPHL history to eclipse the 100-point mark in a 56 game schedule, which he did three times.

“I am excited to come back, and join the team on their playoff run.  I am confident I can still contribute to the organization and be a part of the team that can win another SPHL Championship for Knoxville,” said Swider.

“We were quite intrigued and excited to hear of Kevin’s interest in contributing to the new culture and direction we are going in” said team President and General Manager Mike Murray.

With the addition of Swider, the Ice Bears have had defensemen Michael Chen and Evan Neugold return from the ECHL.  The team released forwards Tyler Howe and Dean Yakura. 

Awards Earned

I couldn't believe it when I saw it!

Former league MVP Kevin Swider, 40, coming out of retirement to rejoin Knoxville Ice Bears

By Dan Fleser - Knoxville News Sentinel

"Kevin Swider's No. 12 jersey was hanging in the rafters at Civic Coliseum. Now it will be back on the ice for the Knoxville Ice Bears.

The former team captain, who led the Southern Professional Hockey League in scoring in each of his seven seasons, is returning to the Ice Bears. Coach Jeff Carr announced Tuesday that Swider had signed a standard player contract.

..."

Awards Earned

Would be crazy if he plays rest of the season and finishes it with 20-30 pts.

Awards Earned

Here's a blast from the past courtesy of our dear, departed friend, Nick Gates:

Swider remains face of Ice Bears for a reason

And a quote from a year later from another friend, Mark Atnip:

"One thing I attempt to keep in mind as I provide play by play for the Knoxville Ice Bears is the historical context of what is going on. Whether it’s recognizing the longest game in SPHL history, the record for shots on goal in a playoff game or fastest 4 goals by any player in league history, I have always felt like its part of my job to know the stats.

In the last few days I have reviewed the statistical histories of 113 professional hockey leagues, beginning with the Ottawa Provencial which began in 1890, through all professional leagues active in 2010. This list encompasses over 1100 seasons of professional hockey.

In those 1100 seasons there have been only a handful of players lead ANY league in scoring 6 times. Of those few players, there have been TWO that have led a professional league in scoring SIX CONSECUTIVE years. Wayne Gretzky and Kevin Swider.

I know it is a team game, but I also know that while there are great hockey players out there, there is, and will only ever be ONE Kevin Swider, and as humble as he is, I would be at fault if I didn’t remind you again about all he has done for hockey in Knoxville."

Awards Earned

19 minutes ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Would be crazy if he plays rest of the season and finishes it with 20-30 pts.

He averaged just under 2 points per game back in the day - 6 regular season games left and potentially 9 post-season games? You never know.

Awards Earned

2 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Best player at practice. Stop it Carr 

Awards Earned

On 3/21/2018 at 12:10 AM, MacGuy said:

He averaged just under 2 points per game back in the day - 6 regular season games left and potentially 9 post-season games? You never know.

6 games.  He is cutting it close for being eligible for the postseason.  Is that the number you need to become eligible?

Awards Earned

19 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

6 games.  He is cutting it close for being eligible for the postseason.  Is that the number you need to become eligible?

5 games to be eligible.

I don't think so. We'll let you know for sure after tomorrow night.

Awards Earned

This whole thing was orchestrated.  The city knew that Swider would one day return.  They did not want to prematurely name a street for a non-retired athlete.  They were foreseeing in knowing that he would return.  This was excellent planning and communication on behalf of Swider and probably no one below the rank of Mayor, since it was so clandestine.  This allows the city to wait until he's truly retired to honor him.  It also makes certain there's not a street named for anyone that still could potentially be suspended for life from the SPHL if something goes terribly wrong.  Combs is probably just waiting for Swider to throw an errant smelling salt package and hit a Huntsville stick boy in the shoulder.  Should that happen, he'll have to take swift and immediate action to teach the league a lesson not to mess with his boys in H Town.

You must have put a lot of thought into that, Carey! :o

Awards Earned

WBIR Ch. 10 News

Awards Earned

15 hours ago, Carey Mahoney said:

Combs is probably just waiting for Swider to throw an errant smelling salt package and hit a Huntsville stick boy in the shoulder.  Should that happen, he'll have to take swift and immediate action to teach the league a lesson not to mess with his boys in H Town.

Get over "the incident". There are ongoing issues (which of course I can't divulge). And stop believing that the Havoc are Mr Combs' "boys"- some fans on these forums think that the league favors every team but theirs. Doc

Awards Earned

1 hour ago, hockeydoc said:

Get over "the incident". There are ongoing issues (which of course I can't divulge). And stop believing that the Havoc are Mr Combs' "boys"- some fans on these forums think that the league favors every team but theirs. Doc

No, I'm pretty clear in believing that Combs favors Huntsville.  Not Knoxville, Not Fayetteville, Not Roanoke, Not Pensacola, Not Macon, Not Evansville; but Huntsville.  We can debate Peoria.  Please don't mention my affixation on the incident.  You never know if it could be medically induced, and we all know the sacredness of protecting medical information.  I would think you of all people would understand that.

13 hours ago, Carey Mahoney said:

No, I'm pretty clear in believing that Combs favors Huntsville.  Not Knoxville, Not Fayetteville, Not Roanoke, Not Pensacola, Not Macon, Not Evansville; but Huntsville.  We can debate Peoria.  Please don't mention my affixation on the incident.  You never know if it could be medically induced, and we all know the sacredness of protecting medical information.  I would think you of all people would understand that.

Some people fervently believe the world is flat, too. Please, some facts to prove that Mr Combs favors Huntsville. TIA (and that doesn't mean "transient ischemic attack"). Doc

P.S.-  the incident, or the "affixation", was "medically induced"? WTH? 

P.S. #2- I didn't even post anything about medical information- just purposely and vaguely wrote "ongoing issues"- read what you want into that. 

Awards Earned

I was at the game. Definitely a lot of rust that needs to come off before he's back to his old self. I even saw him run into one of his own players during a line change...

On another note, I was approached by someone to sign a petition to have "Kevin Swider Pass" put on a street outside the Coliseum. I told the guy that I remember when they named the street after him all those years ago and that it should have already been named that as it was already called that on my Google Maps application. If you know the deer-in-headlights look he had it...

Awards Earned

I wouldn't expect Swider to get all the way back to his old self. But, whatever he gets back to can still skate circles around a lot of others on the ice.

The line change happened right in front of me. I'd put it almost entirely on Scott's hands not watching where he was going.

Did you sign the petition, though? Just because somebody got Google Maps to change the name temporarily, doesn't mean it was ever officially done. We need the petition to get the city to move forward with the change.

Awards Earned

1 hour ago, Speedracer said:

On another note, I was approached by someone to sign a petition to have "Kevin Swider Pass" put on a street outside the Coliseum. I told the guy that I remember when they named the street after him all those years ago and that it should have already been named that as it was already called that on my Google Maps application. 

28 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Did you sign the petition, though? Just because somebody got Google Maps to change the name temporarily, doesn't mean it was ever officially done. We need the petition to get the city to move forward with the change.

With Swider's signing, that just gives the city an excuse to delay things until he REALLY PERMANENTLY retires. 

Awards Earned

1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

I wouldn't expect Swider to get all the way back to his old self. But, whatever he gets back to can still skate circles around a lot of others on the ice.

The line change happened right in front of me. I'd put it almost entirely on Scott's hands not watching where he was going.

It was the first bodycheck of Swider and Scott's entire careers.

Yes, I signed it, but under protest. :angel_not:

Awards Earned