Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

ChompNation

SPHL expansion 2018-19

9 minutes ago, Aceface905 said:

I must be old as hell. Louisville has had several teams over the years. It’s been almost 20 years since their last one though—their owner salted the earth to such an extent that nobody’s made a real effort to bring a team back, and I don’t think the State Fair complex even has an ice plant these days.

Haha yeah, I'll be 30 next week, so if it's been close to 20 years since Louisville had a team of any sort, that would explain why I don't remember it at all. Interesting looking up that arena, if it had ice it'd be perfect SPHL size at around 6000 seats. Bummer that it sounds like the people there before did the city so wrong that nobody will try it again.

38 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

The latest test market anyway. Before that was Evansville, Peoria (AHL), Bloomington (CHL), Mississippi RiverKings (CHL), Pensacola, Mississippi Surge, Richmond (UHL) and Columbus. I think that's the complete list.

Macon should be on the list as well. The Trax followed an ECHL version of the Macon Whoopee.

2 hours ago, TroopSupporter42069 said:

Louisville is interesting, but like the link said, I've never heard of them having hockey of any sort in the city. 

20 minutes ago, Aceface905 said:

I must be old as hell. Louisville has had several teams over the years. It’s been almost 20 years since their last one though—their owner salted the earth to such an extent that nobody’s made a real effort to bring a team back, and I don’t think the State Fair complex even has an ice plant these days.

The city (Louisville) was home to two professional ice hockey teams in the East Coast Hockey League, from 1990 to 1994 the Louisville Icehawks, followed by the Louisville RiverFrogs from 1995 to 1998. The city also had an American Hockey League team from 1999 to 2001, the Louisville Panthers.

Club Sport Played League Venue

Louisville Blades Ice hockey 1948–1950 International Hockey League
United States Hockey League
Louisville Gardens

Louisville Shooting Stars Ice hockey 1953–1954 International Hockey League Louisville Gardens
Louisville Rebels Ice hockey 1957–1960 International Hockey League Louisville Gardens
Freedom Hall

Louisville Icehawks Ice hockey 1990–1995 East Coast Hockey League Broadbent Arena

Louisville RiverFrogs Ice hockey 1995–1998 East Coast Hockey League Broadbent Arena

Louisville Panthers Ice hockey 1999–2001 American Hockey League Freedom Hall
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

The latest test market anyway. Before that was Evansville, Peoria (AHL), Bloomington (CHL), Mississippi RiverKings (CHL), Pensacola, Mississippi Surge, Richmond (UHL) and Columbus. I think that's the complete list.

14 minutes ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

Macon should be on the list as well. The Trax followed an ECHL version of the Macon Whoopee.

Knoxville, Huntsville, and Fayetteville also were in other leagues prior to being in the SPHL

29 minutes ago, Aceface905 said:

That sounds a lot like what happened in Roanoke with the Vipers, after they left we were without hockey for ten years. My understanding is that several potential owners attempted to bring teams back but the Vipers left such a sour taste in the civic centers mouth they wouldn't give any of them a lease. Thankfully I guess Bob McGinn really had his act together enough to convince them to give him a chance.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

That sounds a lot like what happened in Roanoke with the Vipers, after they left we were without hockey for ten years. My understanding is that several potential owners attempted to bring teams back but the Vipers left such a sour taste in the civic centers mouth they wouldn't give any of them a lease. Thankfully I guess Bob McGinn really had his act together enough to convince them to give him a chance.

Man, I'm just old enough to remember Roanoke having a team in the UHL. Grew up in Muskegon. It always seemed weird to me that the league wanted to go so far south and then the teams way out east, after it had been mainly Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois for all those years.

Edited by TroopSupporter42069

25 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

The city (Louisville) was home to two professional ice hockey teams in the East Coast Hockey League, from 1990 to 1994 the Louisville Icehawks, followed by the Louisville RiverFrogs from 1995 to 1998. The city also had an American Hockey League team from 1999 to 2001, the Louisville Panthers.

Club Sport Played League Venue

Louisville Blades Ice hockey 1948–1950 International Hockey League
United States Hockey League
Louisville Gardens

Louisville Shooting Stars Ice hockey 1953–1954 International Hockey League Louisville Gardens
Louisville Rebels Ice hockey 1957–1960 International Hockey League Louisville Gardens
Freedom Hall

Louisville Icehawks Ice hockey 1990–1995 East Coast Hockey League Broadbent Arena

Louisville RiverFrogs Ice hockey 1995–1998 East Coast Hockey League Broadbent Arena

Louisville Panthers Ice hockey 1999–2001 American Hockey League Freedom Hall

The Rebels are notable for A—actually having a Turner Cup on their mantle, in 1959; and B—being the direct successor to my old hometown’s older team, the Huntington Hornets (1956-57).

15 minutes ago, TroopSupporter42069 said:

Man, I'm just old enough to remember Roanoke having a team in the UHL. Grew up in Muskegon. It always seemed weird to me that the league wanted to go so far south and then the teams way out east, after it had been mainly Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois for all those years.

That's where we got our absentee owners and team from was Port Huron.  They thought they could just bring a team here and fans would show up.  The product on the ice was horrible and a big reason hockey in Roanoke was destroyed for so many years in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

That's where we got our absentee owners and team from was Port Huron.  They thought they could just bring a team here and fans would show up.  The product on the ice was horrible and a big reason hockey in Roanoke was destroyed for so many years in my opinion.

I barely remember Roanoke, because if I'm remembering right, it lasted all of one season, correct? Shoot, I thought it was weird when Missouri had a team for a stretch too. That league tried to get too big, too fast, almost like it was trying to keep up with the CHL and ECHL, and then by the end when it rebranded as the IHL it was down to six back in the same original region, and terrible hockey.

12 minutes ago, TroopSupporter42069 said:

I barely remember Roanoke, because if I'm remembering right, it lasted all of one season, correct? Shoot, I thought it was weird when Missouri had a team for a stretch too. That league tried to get too big, too fast, almost like it was trying to keep up with the CHL and ECHL, and then by the end when it rebranded as the IHL it was down to six back in the same original region, and terrible hockey.

1 year and a record of 17-53-6.

4 hours ago, TroopSupporter42069 said:

... I'll be completely honest in that I think QC has its work cut out for them to make it work. I know SPHL is way cheaper than the ECHL, but being the western- and northern-most team, plus a fanbase that dwindled, has me skeptical. ... They must have a great deal though, because the city REALLY wanted a team back there this year ...

It wasn't so much the city wanting a new tenant for TaxSlayer Center as it was the arena's exec director Scott Mullen. It's on him to make or lose money and keep the business viable.

On 5/24/2018 at 6:08 PM, TroopSupporter42069 said:

Louisville is interesting, but like the link said, I've never heard of them having hockey of any sort in the city. Savannah also would be a prime market I think, another that surprises me that it doesn't have a team already, but again, rink issue. If they got those two, I think that would be a big boost to the league. On the other side, I just don't see them ever going back to cities that had teams like Memphis/Southaven, Biloxi, Columbus, and Winston-Salem, no matter how well the FHL team there does. If hockey was going to work there, the teams would have never left in the first place. Same goes for the current ECHL teams, I don't know if they'd support SPHL hockey, but I guess Quad City will be the test market for that theory.

I'm 37 and I remember the Louisville IceHawks vividly!

On 5/24/2018 at 8:31 PM, Aceface905 said:

You aren't the only one guy! I remember the IceHawks as if it were yesterday. As the song goes, with a twist to the title, That's the night the lights went out in Carolina!

Our lighting system shut down during a Greensboro Monarchs and Louisville IceHawks game which caused a big delay at the Greensboro Coliseum.

Just like the old Huntsville Blast, I have a fond memory of the Blast and Monarchs as well.

9 hours ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

I'm 37 and I remember the Louisville IceHawks vividly!

You aren't the only one guy! I remember the IceHawks as if it were yesterday. As the song goes, with a twist to the title, That's the night the lights went out in Carolina!

Our lighting system shut down during a Greensboro Monarchs and Louisville IceHawks game which caused a big delay at the Greensboro Coliseum.

Just like the old Huntsville Blast, I have a fond memory of the Blast and Monarchs as well.

It's very much in that classic ECHL group as a market. For their historical support levels--and especially market size--they deserve a team, and it's sad/ridiculous that they don't.

10 hours ago, Aceface905 said:

It's very much in that classic ECHL group as a market. For their historical support levels--and especially market size--they deserve a team, and it's sad/ridiculous that they don't.

Same with Greensboro! We've allowed indoor football back, which failed 2x's, but hockey, no!

Look at this:

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE ATT GAMES AVG
1989-90 Greensboro Monarchs ECHL 92,952 30 3,098
1990-91 Greensboro Monarchs ECHL 129,929 32 4,060
1991-92 Greensboro Monarchs ECHL 172,423 32 5,388
1992-93 Greensboro Monarchs ECHL 170,464 32 5,327
1993-94 Greensboro Monarchs ECHL 218,048 34 6,413
1995-96 Greensboro Monarchs ECHL 218,865 34 6,437
TOTALS 1,002,681 194 5,168

Our attendance back then, would have set all sorts of SPHL attendance records. Greensboro is a good fit for the SPHL due to 4 regional opponents. Knoxville is just under 4.5 hours away, Roanoke is about 2 hours away, Fayetteville is a mere 1:45 away and then Macon straight down I-85 is just under 6 hours away.

Attendance almost anywhere back then would break records these days.

But Greensboro would be a good fit if the right ownership and backing can be found. And an arena of the right size.

I was always under the impression that the building was the biggest sticking point for getting another team back in Greensboro.

Posted (edited)

Greensboro's new arena football team called the Carolina Cobras of the National Arena League averages about 4k a game FYI, a very successful team and well ran!

Edited by ChompNation
because

On 5/29/2018 at 8:39 PM, ChompNation said:

Greensboro's new arena football team called the Carolina Cobras of the National Arena League averages about 4k a game FYI, a very successful team and well ran!

The Prowlers did well in attendance, so I fail to see the point? If you think because the attendance says they do well, can be quite misleading. How many are paid per game? How many paid STH's? How many ST's were comped to the host hotel and other sponsors? How many individual game tix were comped out?

The Prowlers had a franchise high of 12,750.

Prowlers = 4 seasons before folding

Revolution = 2 seasons before folding

On 5/31/2018 at 8:05 PM, Greg81102 said:

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Augusta's ice plant is destroyed, that's why the team is no longer there. Savannah has no ice plant. Columbus has no owner.

But please, keep up the fantasies.

1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

Not trying to be argumentative. But, if Savannah has no ice plant, how are they putting the Savannah Tire Hockey Classic on each year?

They bring in a portable system every year for that event, much like the Ice Capades does when they show up at a building without an ice plant.

Yes, you can do that for an entire hockey season. Louisiana did it in Blackham Coliseum. But the energy costs are much higher than that of an in-floor ice plant.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2018 at 8:29 AM, Harlan said:

Augusta's ice plant is destroyed

First of all, they fixed the ice plant at the JBA, and there are plans in the works for a new arena as well, so Augusta is actually not that unrealistic.

43 minutes ago, p3tra said:

First of all, they fixed the ice plant at the JBA, and there are plans in the works for a new arena as well, so Augusta is actually not that unrealistic.

Source, please? Preferably one that isn't a blog written on a third-grade level.