Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

ChompNation

SPHL expansion 2018-19

Would a new arena have ice though?

Speaking of new arenas and feasibility studies did anyone ever see this? Savannah, GA’s consideration of a new arena, with permanent ice and very likely a full-time hockey team included... was there any progress on this?

Apparently so. A quick search found this and this and this, among others.

The Savannah Morning News reports that the planned 9,000-seat arena is expected to take about 38 months to design and construct.

So, watch for a new ECHL/SPHL team for the 2021-22 season?

9 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Apparently so. A quick search found this and this and this, among others.

So, watch for a new ECHL/SPHL team for the 2021-22 season?

So a couple expansion threads from now, barring an ECHL relocation superseding it...

1 hour ago, Aceface905 said:

So a couple expansion threads from now, barring an ECHL relocation superseding it...

A couple?  You don't come around here much, do you?  :rolleyes:

On 6/7/2018 at 10:20 AM, p3tra said:

First of all, they fixed the ice plant at the JBA, and there are plans in the works for a new arena as well, so Augusta is actually not that unrealistic.

NONE OF YOUR SOURCES INDICATE THE JBA'S ICE PLANT WAS FIXED. TRY AGAIN, DOPE.

2 hours ago, Harlan said:

NONE OF YOUR SOURCES INDICATE THE JBA'S ICE PLANT WAS FIXED. TRY AGAIN, DOPE.

Harlan, consider this your first and last warning. Please refrain from yelling at other members and calling them names! That is NOT tolerated on this site, and should it continue, I will call in the big guns.

I live 5 minutes from Augusta. The JBA ice WAS NOT fixed, and WILL NOT be fixed, guys...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

I live 5 minutes from Augusta. The JBA ice WAS NOT fixed, and WILL NOT be fixed, guys...

Thanks, @GusMac. Maybe this info will quiet some discussion about expansion back into Augusta.This will also hopefully quell the repartee between @Harlan and @p3tra, and protect Harlan's arse from the wrath of the mods. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GusMac said:

Well at any rate, there are still plans for a new arena, and I doubt they would go without an ice plant there.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, p3tra said:

Well at any rate, there are still plans for a new arena, and I doubt they would go without an ice plant there.

Ice plants cost $$$ to install and maintain- why do you have doubts? There are a multitude of arenas in the US that don't have ice plants.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Ice plants cost $$$ to install and maintain- why do you have doubts? There are a multitude of arenas in the US that don't have ice plants.

All the info out there seems to suggest that they would build it with hockey at least somewhat in mind.  The mockups show it having a floor of the right size, and the study of the arena seems to be based on a lot of hockey arenas.  Plus, the old arena had and ice system until it broke, and most new arenas these days have ice as well.  And on top of all that, I guess I'm just an optimistic person ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, p3tra said:

All the info out there seems to suggest that they would build it with hockey at least somewhat in mind.  The mockups show it having a floor of the right size, and the study of the arena seems to be based on a lot of hockey arenas. ...

Historically, the layout & dimensions of what we current-era hockey fans know as "hockey arenas" were driven by other facility uses, not the other way around.  It's also convenient and more economical for those wishing to imagine a new private or municipal entertainment venue to use existing architectural plans for buildings with sizes & configurations that will match the overall needs and real estate they have available for the project.  So don't be fooled by appearances.

Another thing I've been thinking about is the fact that maybe an investor could, ya know, like, put in an ice system.  I know they're expensive, but with youth hockey on the rise in Augusta, and the size of the market, even if the new arena is built without one, I could see someone coming in to try to make hockey work again.  It happened in Shreveport, and while I get why a lot of you seem skeptical about this kind of thing, a hockey team is what you'd call an investment.  I know it's not everyday that someone actually invests that kind of money in minor league hockey, but I don't think it's by any means out of the question that there could be an owner who's actually commited to success in Augusta.

9 hours ago, p3tra said:

Another thing I've been thinking about is the fact that maybe an investor could, ya know, like, put in an ice system.  I know they're expensive, but with youth hockey on the rise in Augusta, and the size of the market, even if the new arena is built without one, I could see someone coming in to try to make hockey work again.  It happened in Shreveport, and while I get why a lot of you seem skeptical about this kind of thing, a hockey team is what you'd call an investment.  I know it's not everyday that someone actually invests that kind of money in minor league hockey, but I don't think it's by any means out of the question that there could be an owner who's actually commited to success in Augusta.

At the SPHL level, I can guarantee you that no owner in this league will "invest" in an ice plant on his/her own. An ice plant will be on the city/county/arena dime.

24 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

At the SPHL level, I can guarantee you that no owner in this league will "invest" in an ice plant on his/her own. An ice plant will be on the city/county/arena dime.

If the League had accepted the application of Fidel Jenkins for the Columbus franchise, I'll bet he would've bought his own ice plant ... AND given away movie tickets to boot.  jester.gif

32 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

I disagree with that.  The Shreveport Mudbugs ownership paid for the ice system at Hirsch Memorial Coliseum, and they're in the NAHL.  I actually think that the lower operating costs of the SPHL would make it even easier than if it were something like the ECHL since they would have more money left over.

40 minutes ago, p3tra said:

I disagree with that.  The Shreveport Mudbugs ownership paid for the ice system at Hirsch Memorial Coliseum, and they're in the NAHL.  I actually think that the lower operating costs of the SPHL would make it even easier than if it were something like the ECHL since they would have more money left over.

Here's the problem with that comparison; the NAHL is NOT professional, whereas the SPHL is semi-professional. Players in the SPHL are paid and the NAHL, the players are not. So, with that in mind, lower rentals for junior hockey with arenas, with money saved from player payroll with possible lower front office salaries, the team owners are able to invest more.

All the talk about installing ice plants, the ice plant system itself is NOT the most expensive part. It's the actual installation of one where basically a permanent full-size working one would require a lot of construction due to having to install the piping systems underneath the flooring, which would have to be torn up and redone. 

47 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

Here's the problem with that comparison; the NAHL is NOT professional, whereas the SPHL is semi-professional. Players in the SPHL are paid and the NAHL, the players are not. So, with that in mind, lower rentals for junior hockey with arenas, with money saved from player payroll with possible lower front office salaries, the team owners are able to invest more.

All the talk about installing ice plants, the ice plant system itself is NOT the most expensive part. It's the actual installation of one where basically a permanent full-size working one would require a lot of construction due to having to install the piping systems underneath the flooring, which would have to be torn up and redone. 

Here are 2 problems with the above:

The SPHL is the Southern Professional Hockey League, not the Southern Semi-Professional League.

The SPHL players are professional, not semi-professioinal.

A semi-professional athlete is one for whom sport is not a full-time occupation. They are not amateur because they receive regular payment from their team (company), but at a much lower rate than a full-time professional athlete. As a result, players may have (or seek) a second full-time job. A semipro player/team could also be one that represents a place of employment that only the employees are allowed to play on. In this case, it is considered semipro because their employer pays them, but for their regular job, not for playing on the company's team.

The boys don't have, and don't seek, a second full-time job during the season.

10 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Here are 2 problems with the above:

The SPHL is the Southern Professional Hockey League, not the Southern Semi-Professional League.

The SPHL players are professional, not semi-professioinal.

A semi-professional athlete is one for whom sport is not a full-time occupation. They are not amateur because they receive regular payment from their team (company), but at a much lower rate than a full-time professional athlete. As a result, players may have (or seek) a second full-time job. A semipro player/team could also be one that represents a place of employment that only the employees are allowed to play on. In this case, it is considered semipro because their employer pays them, but for their regular job, not for playing on the company's team.

The boys don't have, and don't seek, a second full-time job during the season.

See, there is the problem. The definition you posted just proved the SPHL is a semi-professional league, by definition. They CANNOT make a living off playing in the SPHL. It is the reason most teams pay for the housing or assist in housing. They are at a lower rate than that of the ECHL, AHL and of course, the NHL. And despite most misconceptions, some SPHL players do actually have to seek employment after the season ends.

See, the SPHL is an independent hockey league, much like independent baseball leagues (e.g. Frontier League, Northern League, American Association, Can Am League and Atlantic League). Affiliated ball players are actually considered, for most, as full-time professional players due to being under a contract with the major league club.

I can sit here and argue the facts all night, but honestly, who has the time? Also, why waste the energy because trying to make people understand the minute differences under their preconceived notions is rather pointless.

On 6/10/2018 at 3:11 PM, GusMac said:

How far out would you have to live before they'd consider it?

• Haha 1