Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

GDT - Peoria @ Roanoke 3/31/18 7:05 pm et

Last home game of the season.  It is fan appreciation night.  First 1000 fans will receive a Dawgs team poster that can be signed by the players after the game.  Every player will be signing autographs.  So come out and support our Dawgs that need one more win to secure a playoff spot.  Birmingham lost so the magic number is down to two points.  Mississippi also lost so we are still in a tie with them for seventh place.  

• Like 1

Still some silver level tickets left for a cheap $5.00.  Use code word ADVANCE either online or at the box office while supplies last!!!

$5.00 Tickets

• Like 1

I thought the guys were gased tonight, however I did like Schneider sticking up for his teammates. Good news is Birmingham is getting beat, so it looks like the dawgs will clinch tonight even with a loss. Bad news is I don't think Peoria will have any problems picking Roanoke to play in the first round.

Peoria isn't picking Roanoke 1st, I've heard they are picking Evansville which they have owned in this year winning 10 of 13 games in regulation plus that is the closest team to them instead of having to bus 12 hours to Roanoke or 13 to Lynchburg. Now that we are officially playoff bound with the Bulls loss tonight it should be announced very soon to confirm the rumors. I've heard we will get the 1st playoff game in Lynchburg at the Liberty rink with the last 2 games at the our opponents barn.

This is the possibility of match ups, based on current seeding:

#1 Peoria vs. #6 Evansville (4.5 hour trip)
#2 Pensacola vs. #7 Mississippi (6.75 hour trip)
#3 Macon vs. #8 Roanoke (7.5 hour trip)
#4 Huntsville vs. #5 Knoxville (3.25 hour trip)

Or, Macon could pick Knoxville and Huntsville be stuck with Roanoke.

Picked up one of the playoff shirts after the game! I’m very tempted to get Bremner’s record and Ftorek’s record screen printed on the back. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

I thought the guys were gased tonight, however I did like Schneider sticking up for his teammates. Good news is Birmingham is getting beat, so it looks like the dawgs will clinch tonight even with a loss. Bad news is I don't think Peoria will have any problems picking Roanoke to play in the first round.

I didn't really think we were gassed.  #2 ref let Peoria do anything illegal they possibly could to slow us down and never called a thing.   I never have until this weekend talked trash about the refs.  But #2 ref tonight made Zane Stout from last night, look like gold.  No way anybody who watched that game could honestly say it was called fairly.  It was like Peoria was untouchable and had to about assault our guys to get a penalty called.  Each team 3 power plays?  Really?  Every play Peoria would hold, hook, or anything they could do illegal to slow our guys down with nothing called.  Our Dawgs finally got tired of nothing being called no matter what Peoria would do and started taking up for themselves.  Any Roanoke fan knows we don't fight much.  We legally check the other team, they take offense to it after awhile and do something stupid.  We then let them go take a bad penalty and take the power play.  But when we are playing the game the right way and Peoria doing anything they want with #2 ref acting like he's blind from it all.  It was ridiculous and personally the worst game I have seen called live in my life.  I have seen a lot of hockey in my 30 some years as a fan.  Just a few examples from tonight, one penalty they had to call on Peoria was #5 their captain.  He got called for a crosscheck.  Funny thing is how many times did he have to crosscheck our player in the back while he was on the ground facedown??  I counted atleast 4 times before the referee's hand even went up.  After it went up he crosschecked him over and over again until the whistle was finally blown.  Then a couple penalties we took were retaliation penalties.  Murray checked Kalisz and Kalisz threw a couple punches at Murray's face and Murray slashed him and he falls down on the ground acting hurt.  Then of course he saw Murray's quick slash but somehow missed Kalisz hitting him in the face before it.  By time the dummy threw us a bone he had already tilted the game in Peoria's favor all night long.  It only took the thug Cody Dion to have Beer down on the ice pounding him in the head for them to give us another one of our power plays.  Thats when Schneider came in and jumped on top of Dion to get him to get off Beer.  But of course ref #2 couldn't just get Dion for 5 minutes for fighting.  He had to give Schneider 2 minutes for a crosscheck.  But by then the ref had basically handed Peoria the win already. I just think it's weird how everyone always says the league and refs favor Peoria.  I never thought anything of it.  But after seeing the two worst officiated games in a row by two different refs from your 2 years in this league makes you wonder.  Also makes you think if all of the brawls Peoria has been in and wonder if things got out of hand the same way the blind # 2 ref let the game get out of hand with us,  letting Peoria basically do anything they pleased illegally just as long as it wasn't crosschecking our player 15 times.  Pounding our player in the head while he's laying on the ground defenseless.  How many games is a player suspended for instigating a fight inside of 5 minutes while beating a defenseless player while he's down?  I'm probably pretty sure the league will get Dion back to them for the playoffs.  Plus find a reason to suspend a few of us for taking up for ourselves because we got no help from the ref turning a game into a joke.  There was one play 3 different guys from the Dawgs was being held by Peoria players by both hands holding them back from driving past them to the goal.  There were tons of other plays to use examples but i'm tired of complaining.  But the league really should not let a fiasco like this one go unnoticed.  They should really take video of games that are called this awful and make the refs answer for why these blatant penalties throughout the whole game went uncalled.  They are suppose to be professionals even though they are supposedly developing.  Plus, games like this hurts the integrity of the game and league.  But I have always thought any referee who wants to be a professional in any sport should face scrutiny for the decisions they make in the game.  If they make the call they should have to answer for why or why they didn't when shown the tape.  I also think a coach should be able to call out a referee and get an answer for or reason why something was or wasn't called without being fined for wanting answers or criticizing officials.  I agree our refs are supposedly "developing".  But what are they really learning being coddled by the league behind closed doors?  While nothing is improving the job performance.  They should be held accountable for their actions.  Like I said i'm not talking about someone missing a couple calls here or there.  That will happen.  But it's a problem when it goes on just about the whole game.  With fans wondering how this blind :censore: is refereeing a professional hockey game.  Sorry about this rant, but this weekend full of games have opened my eyes like some others who are just disgusted with how some of these games are called.  I believe us fans who pay our money to see the SPHL and the players in the league deserve a whole lot better then what the Dawgs got this weekend.  I would hate to have seen two games officiated like this knock us out of the playoffs.  I would probably still be complaining in this post until the Finals were over.  lmao. MacGuy if you got those emails handy you were talking about let me know.  I know 3 guys who is going to get a nice letter from me.  But i'm sure I will get no response from anyone of them.  Also, RoanokeHockey not sure if you get home games.  But if so, hook me up with some video evidence of the awfulness we had to witness.  It shouldn't be hard to find a lot.  But one more thing that really got my blood boiling was Peoria goaltender staying out on the ice just as long as our team as they raised their sticks for the last home game salute of the season.  The whole time cutting up and shaking hands with the ref.  Not sure the conversation going on but thought it was classless thing to do after our whole arena was chanting ref you suck and his whole team taunting the crowd.  Just thought that was not the time or place for him to do that.  Especially since how the game was called, I figured the refs were probably hitching a ride on the Peoria team bus.  Rant is over!!!

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

I didn't really think we were gassed.  #2 ref let Peoria do anything illegal they possibly could to slow us down and never called a thing.   I never have until this weekend talked trash about the refs.  But #2 ref tonight made Zane Stout from last night, look like gold.  No way anybody who watched that game could honestly say it was called fairly.  It was like Peoria was untouchable and had to about assault our guys to get a penalty called.  Each team 3 power plays?  Really?  Every play Peoria would hold, hook, or anything they could do illegal to slow our guys down with nothing called.  Our Dawgs finally got tired of nothing being called no matter what Peoria would do and started taking up for themselves.  Any Roanoke fan knows we don't fight much.  We legally check the other team, they take offense to it after awhile and do something stupid.  We then let them go take a bad penalty and take the power play.  But when we are playing the game the right way and Peoria doing anything they want with #2 ref acting like he's blind from it all.  It was ridiculous and personally the worst game I have seen called live in my life.  I have seen a lot of hockey in my 30 some years as a fan.  Just a few examples from tonight, one penalty they had to call on Peoria was #5 their captain.  He got called for a crosscheck.  Funny thing is how many times did he have to crosscheck our player in the back while he was on the ground facedown??  I counted atleast 4 times before the referee's hand even went up.  After it went up he crosschecked him over and over again until the whistle was finally blown.  Then a couple penalties we took were retaliation penalties.  Murray checked Kalisz and Kalisz threw a couple punches at Murray's face and Murray slashed him and he falls down on the ground acting hurt.  Then of course he saw Murray's quick slash but somehow missed Kalisz hitting him in the face before it.  By time the dummy threw us a bone he had already tilted the game in Peoria's favor all night long.  It only took the thug Cody Dion to have Beer down on the ice pounding him in the head for them to give us another one of our power plays.  Thats when Schneider came in and jumped on top of Dion to get him to get off Beer.  But of course ref #2 couldn't just get Dion for 5 minutes for fighting.  He had to give Schneider 2 minutes for a crosscheck.  But by then the ref had basically handed Peoria the win already. I just think it's weird how everyone always says the league and refs favor Peoria.  I never thought anything of it.  But after seeing the two worst officiated games in a row by two different refs from your 2 years in this league makes you wonder.  Also makes you think if all of the brawls Peoria has been in and wonder if things got out of hand the same way the blind # 2 ref let the game get out of hand with us,  letting Peoria basically do anything they pleased illegally just as long as it wasn't crosschecking our player 15 times.  Pounding our player in the head while he's laying on the ground defenseless.  How many games is a player suspended for instigating a fight inside of 5 minutes while beating a defenseless player while he's down?  I'm probably pretty sure the league will get Dion back to them for the playoffs.  Plus find a reason to suspend a few of us for taking up for ourselves because we got no help from the ref turning a game into a joke.  There was one play 3 different guys from the Dawgs was being held by Peoria players by both hands holding them back from driving past them to the goal.  There were tons of other plays to use examples but i'm tired of complaining.  But the league really should not let a fiasco like this one go unnoticed.  They should really take video of games that are called this awful and make the refs answer for why these blatant penalties throughout the whole game went uncalled.  They are suppose to be professionals even though they are supposedly developing.  Plus, games like this hurts the integrity of the game and league.  But I have always thought any referee who wants to be a professional in any sport should face scrutiny for the decisions they make in the game.  If they make the call they should have to answer for why or why they didn't when shown the tape.  I also think a coach should be able to call out a referee and get an answer for or reason why something was or wasn't called without being fined for wanting answers or criticizing officials.  I agree our refs are supposedly "developing".  But what are they really learning being coddled by the league behind closed doors?  While nothing is improving the job performance.  They should be held accountable for their actions.  Like I said i'm not talking about someone missing a couple calls here or there.  That will happen.  But it's a problem when it goes on just about the whole game.  With fans wondering how this blind :censore: is refereeing a professional hockey game.  Sorry about this rant, but this weekend full of games have opened my eyes like some others who are just disgusted with how some of these games are called.  I believe us fans who pay our money to see the SPHL and the players in the league deserve a whole lot better then what the Dawgs got this weekend.  I would hate to have seen two games officiated like this knock us out of the playoffs.  I would probably still be complaining in this post until the Finals were over.  lmao. MacGuy if you got those emails handy you were talking about let me know.  I know 3 guys who is going to get a nice letter from me.  But i'm sure I will get no response from anyone of them.  Also, RoanokeHockey not sure if you get home games.  But if so, hook me up with some video evidence of the awfulness we had to witness.  It shouldn't be hard to find a lot.  But one more thing that really got my blood boiling was Peoria goaltender staying out on the ice just as long as our team as they raised their sticks for the last home game salute of the season.  The whole time cutting up and shaking hands with the ref.  Not sure the conversation going on but thought it was classless thing to do after our whole arena was chanting ref you suck and his whole team taunting the crowd.  Just thought that was not the time or place for him to do that.  Especially since how the game was called, I figured the refs were probably hitching a ride on the Peoria team bus.  Rant is over!!!

Don't let JMC see you rant about his Rivs! lol

Bright side, Birmingham let you guys into the playoffs!

57 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

Don't let JMC see you rant about his Rivs! lol

Bright side, Birmingham let you guys into the playoffs!

lmao. I'm not worried about him.  I got a lot less years on him.  If need to I can outrun him.  Last resort, he harrasses me i'll dissappear from here and give him my facebook account name.  I would never have to hear from him again.  :clap:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

lmao. I'm not worried about him.  I got a lot less years on him.  If need to I can outrun him.  Last resort, he harrasses me i'll dissappear from here and give him my facebook account name.  I would never have to hear from him again.  :clap:

I'm not going to quote your first post, simply because I'm on mobile. I agree with you, Peoria is the dirtiest team in the league and coming into this weekend I thought they led the league in penalty minutes? In reference to the cross checking incident, I saw Bronner take 5 sticks to the back while he was on his knees, it should have been double minors if not more.  Peoria could have been assessed several bench minors as well, one incident comes to mind when the Peoria bench attempted to hold the stick of Guyon I believe? What really made me sick is after the game when I saw the Peoria goalie skate over to the officiating crew shaking hands and laughing with them. I hope the officiating tightens up for the playoffs because last night was out of hand. Also last night was even further proof why next year Roanoke needs to get 2 guys to patrol the ice with a big bag of knuckles. 

But moving forward, we're in the playoffs! 

8 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

@Greg81102: Can you give us a shorter version of your novel above?  I lost you right after ... :crybaby:

Yes, I will just for you.  I'll send it with facebook messenger.  Make sure you keep an eye out for it.

• Haha 1

Nice post Greg81102. As a fan in SP I agree with you 100%. Ref #2 has called way more Fayetteville games than I care to recall.  He is an absolute joke. If someone was to grade the video of his Fayetteville games I am sure he would score very low.  Also, your take on the Peoria team is spot on.  Nothing more than a bunch of classless thugs.

Greg, I am in the same boat as you. I always assumed that all the trash talk about Peoria being given favorable treatment was b.s. and jealousy because they always seem to be on top of the standings, after this weekends games I finally get it.  There is no way in hell anyone could watch this weekends games and see fairly called games. Like you, I have been watching this sport for around 30 years and with no exaggeration whatsoever this weekend by far the the most onesided officiating I have ever witnessed. In what world is riding a player breaking toward the goal to the ground from behind by the neck not worthy of any call (the play that led to the brawl). 

Foolillard (#2) IS one of THE WORST in this league hands down. Tapes (actually DVDs) ARE made of each game and are given to the coaching staffs after the game, and can be sent to the league for review regarding penalties, appeals of suspensions, etc. Unfortunately, the league does not seem to review the performances of the officiating crews, which is truly a shame- if they did, some of the current clowns in black and white stripes (and especially those with the orange stripes on the upper arms) would no longer be officiating.

9 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

MacGuy if you got those emails handy you were talking about let me know.  I know 3 guys who is going to get a nice letter from me.  But i'm sure I will get no response from anyone of them.

I looked, but I don't seem to have any anymore. They were from a pretty long time ago anyway.

41 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Unfortunately, the league does not seem to review the performances of the officiating crews, which is truly a shame- if they did, some of the current clowns in black and white stripes (and especially those with the orange stripes on the upper arms) would no longer be officiating.

Unfortunately, the league actually does review game tapes and almost always determines the officials did a fine job.

Maybe what we need to do is start a league-wide fan petition - appealing for the safety of the players whose health and well-being are all too often left in the hands of incompetents. 

6 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

I looked, but I don't seem to have any anymore. They were from a pretty long time ago anyway.

Unfortunately, the league actually does review game tapes and almost always determines the officials did a fine job.

Maybe what we need to do is start a league-wide fan petition - appealing for the safety of the players whose health and well-being are all too often left in the hands of incompetents. 

I agree. So far, Ive heard Evansville, Fayetteville (us), and now Roanoke fans complain.....Combs needs to do something now before this clown causes permanent damage to a player or a death occurs (don't wish this on anyone). If it was me, this guy wouldnt be reffing a tiddly winks game.

Even my friend who I brought to the game last night said Peoria was playing super dirty and not getting anything called on him. He's watched exactly 2 games of hockey in his life. Easily the dirtiest team in the league and I was kind hoping Kalizs would have left on a stretcher last night with all of his cheap shots. I remember when we played them here last year they were getting tons of penalties and I think we had them 5-3 for like 10 minutes or something like that. Of course I think we only got 2 goals out of it due to Sam Ftorek's incompetence. We have one of the grittiest players around in Dan Bremner as our coach who captained them for 2 years and he's never told our players to play that dirty. And them not getting penalties called on them for it is inexcusable. 

Interesting take from the Peoria newspaper.

“You could tell in the first half of the game that we clinched the previous night, because we played like it,” Rivermen head coach Jean-Guy Trudel said. “But our guys are accustomed to winning, and that competitive instinct took over and they dominated the rest of the way. When they decided to make our skilled defenseman fight, our team reacted the way you would want it to, stood up for each other.”

Roanoke’s Chris Porter pulled key Peoria defenseman Geoff Fortman -- who had just returned from a season-long ECHL call-up -- into a fight at 8:05 of the third period. The Rivermen aired their grievance with confrontations all over the ice. Peoria’s Mike Economos fought Phil Bronner, and when he laughed at Bronner after officials broke up the fight, Bronner charged back in and threw more punches.

PJStar

2 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

Interesting take from the Peoria newspaper.

“You could tell in the first half of the game that we clinched the previous night, because we played like it,” Rivermen head coach Jean-Guy Trudel said. “But our guys are accustomed to winning, and that competitive instinct took over and they dominated the rest of the way. When they decided to make our skilled defenseman fight, our team reacted the way you would want it to, stood up for each other.”

Roanoke’s Chris Porter pulled key Peoria defenseman Geoff Fortman -- who had just returned from a season-long ECHL call-up -- into a fight at 8:05 of the third period. The Rivermen aired their grievance with confrontations all over the ice. Peoria’s Mike Economos fought Phil Bronner, and when he laughed at Bronner after officials broke up the fight, Bronner charged back in and threw more punches.

PJStar

Yea he can only notice a badly called game and spend a whole news article trashing Cole Ruwe when a few calls don't go his way and he loses in OT to Birmingham.  This article is comical now after reading it and a few things in it was exactly the bad calls called against Roanoke this weekend.  Wow, Trudel wonder what it's like to have more then 1 guy beating on your players at the same time in both games yet the penalties come out even?  Maybe we should ask Joe Sova when he was in a scuffle Saturday with a player and another player runs him over from behind at about full speed. Or maybe the next night with Schneider.  Ask the ref on Saturday how he could call nothing on Peoria for about the whole game of them constantly playing dirty hockey.  But call a tripping penalty on Beer for a guy getting tripped while he was playing the puck that should have never been called, that they scored on.  Right before that Kalisz punches Murray in the face numerous times and Murray gives him a little slash.  But of course the blind man wouldn't see Murray get hit numerous times to the face but see Murray's split second reaction after it.  Love one of our players getting checked next to Peoria bench then a Peoria player grabbing his stick and won't let go.  Sure you seen that one right in front of your face Trudel.  I use to think Peoria and us played about the same style of hockey.  After this weekend I noticed one big difference.  Our team plays the game the right way, while Peoria plays dirty the whole game.  Mr. Trudel,  i believe Coach Bremner can really lay claim to the title of your article of you whining when a few calls don't go your way in one game.  Try having to fight the refs for almost a whole weekend and the whol game on Saturday.  You would have needed a lot more than aspirin.  Last thing, Coach Bremner has a lot more of that discipline he talks about then I do.  How the game on Saturday went down there is no way I would have made it til the end of it.  I would have been gone for sure for verbal abuse of an official.

Here was Trudel after having a few calls not go his way in one game..  My how i'd love to be a fly on the wall if Bremner and Trudel talked after Saturday's game.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20180210/rivermen-rip-ex-captain-now-ref-after-6-5-so-loss-it-was-worst-officiated-game-ive-ever-seen

Posted (edited)

Funny how the article fails to mention that Porter "pulled" Fortman because he had hog collared Murray from behind while he was on a break away. I guess thats the kind of moves "skilled defensemen" pull when they get beat.

ETA: Just watched the video and it was Vernace not Murray.

Edited by vicvegas
  • Like 2

Yup, Dave conveniently made sure he cut that out.  Wouldn't want people thinking any worse of the Rivermen then they already do.  :2thumbsup:

• Like 2