Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

RapidFire19

SJHL Team Bus Collison

Shared on FB.

Tim Hortons is selling Humboldt Broncos donuts with 100% of the proceeds going to the players and their families. 

If you were going to splurge on donuts, now is the time to do it.

FB_IMG_1523545408546.jpg

You have two Tim Horton's in St. Louis. You could convince them to make them, then buy them out and spread the joy on your next hockey road trip South.

1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

You have two Tim Horton's in St. Louis. You could convince them to make them, then buy them out and spread the joy on your next hockey road trip South.

That'd be a really bad investment for me, considering what happened to the previous TH franchisee around these parts.  Not to mention that you Rebs wouldn't appreciate the gesture, anyway.  nono02.gif

Hockey players share close connection to bus crash victims, hold vigil in their honor

By Ted Allen - Liberty University News Service

Four members of Liberty University’s ACHA Division I men’s hockey team traveled to Canada on Wednesday morning to attend memorial services and comfort the families of survivors of last Friday’s bus crash that killed 15 players and staff and injured 14 others from the Humboldt Broncos.

On Tuesday afternoon, dozens of players from all five of Liberty’s ACHA teams stopped by the LIC to pray for the Humboldt Bronco Hockey family and community, as well as the truck driver who survived the crash. They signed cards that the four Flames team members will deliver to families.

Several members of the Peoria (Ill.) Rivermen, in town to face the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs in Wednesday night’s Southern Professional Hockey League playoff game at the LIC, also joined in the vigil.

Nearly 60,000 people from close to 60 countries have helped raise more than $9 million through a GoFundMe account set up days after the accident.

Read more at: http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=270240

8 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Where'd you find that?

It was a document video being shared through FB. When it downloaded to my cell it went to the "drive" folder.....Idk where the original post was made.

Humboldt survivor paralyzed from the chest down says he's not done with hockey

CBC Radio

Ryan Straschnitzki says he's grateful for all the support from Canadians and from people around the world

Ryan Straschnitzki says he's a little "tired and sore" but overall "not bad."

The defenceman with the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team is at Saskatoon's Royal University Hospital coping with the pain of his injuries from last weekend's deadly highway accident.

His neck and back are broken, and he is paralyzed from the chest down.

Still, he says, he is "just pushing through it, because pain is temporary."

Last week — just hours after the crash — Day 6 host Brent Bambury spoke with Ryan's father Tom Straschnitzki.

This week, he was able to connect directly with Ryan, who spoke to Day 6 from his hospital bed in Saskatoon.

Read more (or listen) at: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/episode-385-republicans-for-mueller-humboldt-survivor-mexico-vs-facebook-apu-diy-coachella-and-more-1.4616001/humbolt-survivor-paralyzed-from-the-chest-down-says-he-s-not-done-with-hockey-1.4616425

Broadcasters offer to call games to honour Humboldt Broncos play-by-play announcer

Tyler Bieber was one of 16 people killed as result of team bus collision with semi-truck

Gregory Strong

The Canadian Press

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 12:37 PM CT | Last Updated: April 13

When Les Lazaruk looked up at the broadcast booth at Elgar Petersen Arena during Tyler Bieber's funeral service, he thought of an idea to honour the memory of the Humboldt Broncos play-by-play announcer.

Lazaruk offered to call a Broncos game next season for free and he put out a call on Twitter for fellow broadcasters to do the same. It wasn't long before several prominent on-air personalities volunteered their services.

Sportsnet's Rob Faulds and TSN's Chris Cuthbert and Gord Miller all tweeted offers to participate in the initiative. Other broadcasters from a variety of leagues and sports also wanted to get involved and support the effort.

"Tyler loved sports and he was involved in sports in all kinds of ways because it was his passion," Miller said Friday from Chicago. "He loved to do it. I think a great way to honour him is to show our passion for it too." ...

Read more at: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/broadcasters-to-honour-broncos-bus-victim-tyler-bieber-1.4618875

• Like 1

Via the GoFundMe:

Updated 4/16:

First and foremost, the Broncos’ volunteer board of directors would like to express their tremendous love and sincere gratitude to everyone who has generously donated time and money to support our organization and its families, as we navigate through this dark and heart-wrenching time.

Today, I would like to provide you with an update on how the Broncos’ organization plans to manage and disperse the financial support we have received. 

We’ll accept donations through this GoFundMe until Wednesday, April 18th at 11:59PM MST. While no online donations will be accepted after that, the GoFundMe will remain live so we can continue to update everyone on our progress in allocating funds. 

The funds donated through the GoFundMe campaign will be transferred to a newly created non-profit corporation known as "Humboldt Broncos Memorial Fund Inc." to be allocated for their intended purpose. 

An advisory committee is being established to make a recommendation for the allocation of these funds, which will be held in trust until that allocation occurs. Once we have formalized the composition of this committee, we will provide you with an update.

Once donations to the GoFundMe are off, people who still want to help can contact the Broncos here:https://humboldtstrong.info/contact/

https://globalnews.ca/news/4148543/hockey-bus-crash-survivor-reflects-on-humboldt/

The Humboldt Broncos tragedy has brought back fuzzy memories Kyle Johnson would rather forget.

“We both shot up. I think we almost hit the roof. After that, I don’t remember a whole lot,” he said.

It’s been 15 months since a bus carrying his team, the SPHL’s Columbus Cottonmouths, rolled off an exit ramp en route to a game in Peoria, Ill.

“It was mayhem,” Johnson recalled. “A sleeper bus has bunks all the way up the wall, so they had all come off and the lounge had fallen apart. The bathroom was destroyed. You couldn’t tell it was a bus.”

Johnson sustained a career-ending neck injury and concussion.

He says the worst part was seeing goaltender Brandon Jaeger pulled from the rubble and taken to hospital for surgery, along with the team’s equipment manager.

Luckily, no one was killed.

Read more at the link.

'It was the right thing to do': B.C. woman returns jacket to former Humboldt hockey player

By Matt Olson - Saskatoon StarPhoenix

A British Columbia woman returned a piece of Humboldt hockey history to its rightful owner to deliver some good news in the wake of a tragedy.

Cheryl Sloane was in a Vancouver consignment shop on April 7th – the day after the Humboldt Broncos hockey team accident – when she spotted a green-and-yellow leather jacket on a rack. Sloane said she recognized the team almost immediately. 

“It was the colour,” Sloane said.

It was a jacket awarded to members of the 1985-86 Broncos team for winning the championship, with the number 16 on the sleeve.

After reading about the accident, Sloane was determined to find the jacket’s rightful owner.

“It was the right thing to do,” she said. “I wasn’t happy until I had completed my mission. And I was on a mission.”

Read more at: http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-news/woman-returns-jacket-to-former-humboldt-hockey-player

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After such a devastating bus crash that took the lives of 16 people at the beginning of April, there is some beautiful light for the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team and their friends and fans, as they are taking steps to be ready for the start of next season.

It has been announced that the Humboldt Broncos are planning to ice a team for the 2018-19 season, the team revealed in a stunning press release. 

Read more : https://world.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-humboldt-broncos-junior-hockey-team-makes-stunning-announcement

Also, this was posted to Twitter two days ago.

Hockey Player Finds New Passion On Ice After Broken Back

By Romi Bean - Ch. 4 CBS Denver

Graysen Cameron is 19 years old. Up until a few months ago, his life was going as planned: playing competitive hockey, making his way up the ranks, working his way to the pros.

Now, Graysen is discovering what life after tragedy looks like.

“I broke my L4 vertebrae and had back fusion done to L3 to L5. I’m officially done with sports – no contact. Maybe some beer league when I’m older. But I’m getting into coaching now.”

A total of 29 members of the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team were inside the bus and headed to the town of Nipawin for a Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League semifinals playoff game in April. The bus crashed with a tractor-trailer north of Tisdale.

Thirteen of the 24 players listed on the roster come from Saskatchewan, with two from Humboldt. Most of the others list their hometowns as being in the province of Alberta.

It’s been two short months since the Humboldt Broncos tragic bus accident. Grayson Cameron survived the horror. Now’s he’s turning to coaching to help him create a new future.

“It gave me a path and something to work towards. I always wanted to get into after hockey, it just happened a little sooner than I thought it would” Cameron said.

When tragedy strikes, communities come together – and no one rallies behind their own more than the hockey community does.

On Friday night, Graysen won his coaching debut alongside assistant coach, current NHL player, Paul Stastny. Graysen will continue his coaching journey with one of his former teams in Canada.

• Like 1

Charges laid against driver of semi-trailer involved in crash with Humboldt Broncos hockey team

Mike Hager , Nadine Yousif and Sunny Dhillon

Published July 6, 2018 Updated 2 hours ago

Three months after a collision with a semi-trailer killed 16 people connected to the Humboldt Broncos hockey team, charges have been laid against the driver and Saskatchewan and Alberta plan to tighten the training of drivers of large vehicles.

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, 29, was arrested on Friday morning at his home in Calgary and charged with 16 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death and 13 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm.

But while family members called the charges a necessary step, many said questions still remain about what happened.

“It doesn’t change anything,” said Isaac Labelle, whose brother Xavier was injured. “It won’t bring anyone back.”

Mr. Sidhu was in custody and is expected to appear in court in Saskatchewan next week. The RCMP refused to release any details of their investigation into the events that led up to the crash, pending the court process.

Superintendent Derek Williams noted, though, that Mr. Sidhu did not face any charges of impaired driving. ...

Read more at: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-rcmp-announce-charges-in-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-investigation/