Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

With the ECHL season over, will we see a couple guys return?  Armstrong and Goz in particular? 

Goz was suspended by Norfolk a couple of weeks ago, I believe if he were coming back he would have already been here. I don't know anything about Armstrong though.

10 minutes ago, Soulmiser said:

No we have a full roster.

I think if you have a chance to get Armstrong back you make room

Goz went back to play for the Hungarian National Team. I asked Coach Bremner the chances of Armstrong coming back for,the playoffs last night at the challenge round party and he quickly said “zero chance”.

2 minutes ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Goz went back to play for the Hungarian National Team. I asked Coach Bremner the chances of Armstrong coming back for,the playoffs last night at the challenge round party and he quickly said “zero chance”.

How many people showed up for the challenge round?  I was unable to attend.  I also figured it was a little late for a return from the ECHL.  Especially now, with none of Armstrong's games being played with Bremner as coach.  But I was also surprised with Spraggs being waived and keeping Garvin.  This is the first move that has really got me scratching my head.  But that's why he's coach and i'm sitting in the stands.

15 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

How many people showed up for the challenge round?  

I would guess a couple hundred.  Had all 3 TV stations there, so good coverage.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

How many people showed up for the challenge round?  I was unable to attend.  I also figured it was a little late for a return from the ECHL.  Especially now, with none of Armstrong's games being played with Bremner as coach.  But I was also surprised with Spraggs being waived and keeping Garvin.  This is the first move that has really got me scratching my head.  But that's why he's coach and i'm sitting in the stands.

Take a look at Garvin’s elite prospects page!

6 minutes ago, robard said:

Take a look at Garvin’s elite prospects page!

I have, it's impressive.  But I wasn't necessarily scratching my head over keeping Garvin.  More scratching my head over waiving Spraggs.  But I guess that's what that last roster spot is for.  If it's not being used by a sick/injured person, it's most likely being used for someone on the chopping block.  We seen it happen with Dmytro Babenko, Darius Cole, and now with Riley Spraggs.

12 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I have, it's impressive.  But I wasn't necessarily scratching my head over keeping Garvin.  More scratching my head over waiving Spraggs.  But I guess that's what that last roster spot is for.  If it's not being used by a sick/injured person, it's most likely being used for someone on the chopping block.  We seen it happen with Dmytro Babenko, Darius Cole, and now with Riley Spraggs.

I have no doubt that it was a difficult decision for the coach to make because he has assembled a pretty solid team with what he already had and what he was able to sign. It seems like most of the new players that Bremner has found have been over 6 feet tall except Guyon and Witzel. He’s probably willing to sign a bigger player in exchange for a smaller one. He probably looked at the potential of Garvin as well in terms of his point production and saw that in the four years that he played at Liberty his production increased each year. So, Roanoke gets a bigger player who seems to be improving verses a player that is smaller and has inconsistent and in some cases decreasing point production. It’s getting to the point where it’s hard to release players because all have found their niche. It’s not like before when we had people like Moreso and Walsh stinking up the place. It’s difficult because Spraggs was here all season and found his role pretty well under Bremner but if you think about it most of the players he has gotten rid of and ones he has brought in has been the right decision. 

11 hours ago, robard said:

I have no doubt that it was a difficult decision for the coach to make because he has assembled a pretty solid team with what he already had and what he was able to sign. It seems like most of the new players that Bremner has found have been over 6 feet tall except Guyon and Witzel. He’s probably willing to sign a bigger player in exchange for a smaller one. He probably looked at the potential of Garvin as well in terms of his point production and saw that in the four years that he played at Liberty his production increased each year. So, Roanoke gets a bigger player who seems to be improving verses a player that is smaller and has inconsistent and in some cases decreasing point production. It’s getting to the point where it’s hard to release players because all have found their niche. It’s not like before when we had people like Moreso and Walsh stinking up the place. It’s difficult because Spraggs was here all season and found his role pretty well under Bremner but if you think about it most of the players he has gotten rid of and ones he has brought in has been the right decision. 

Wholeheartedly agree. Spraggs is awesome when he skates hard, when he doesn't he just looks lost and becomes a liability. Bremner has maybe only had one or two clunkers and they haven't stayed very long. I'm not the biggest fan of the Porter deal, but he's at least willing to step up and be physical when he needs to. He's not a big point producer like Witzel, Guyon, and Beer have been, but if that's his role, then that's his role. I wonder if we can get Jamie and Brock to suit up for us for a game or two since they're technically part owners....I'm sure the NHLPA would absolutely love that. 

I like Porter’s game. One of our top PK guys and is always in position it seems. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 10:16 PM, robard said:

you wonder why the family members get upset with you- you claim to not be personally attacking anyone and then you call out Spraggs for being overweight, slow, a poor skater, should be dumped.. and then you say players "stink" up the place... I noticed this on Mrs. Spraggs social media and I saw Moroso's wife reply agreeing and I think it's true and you should be aware and maybe more knowledgeable about the team than so bias and coming off rude. They clearly do read these things and I'm not saying you need to be nice because they're people to but rather so if this is a hockey forum let's stick to talking hockey. You wanna talk hockey? Moroso was still a top scorer and when coaching changed he didn't get playing time, where with the previous coach he was playing the guys every other line losing by 6 points where he got all his dashes yet still put up points and the entire team was in the whole and wasn't scoring.. Same goes for Spraggs.. when you actually play him he scores but when you sit him on the bench and don't put him on the powerplay then hello he's not given the opportunity to score. Common sense here. You're not talking hockey you bash players at times probably without knowing it. It's just the SPHL... & for Walsh.. he just clearly isn't at this playing level he'd do much better in the FHL. Bottom line is it's just the SPHL you should be more aware of what you say especially if it's been displayed on multiple wives social media accounts. It makes all of the Roanoke fans look bad and I want players and families to feel welcome to come here especially with the new season I'm sure Spraggs isn't coming back so that means someone else can and if they hear we have bad fans who rip the players apart it's not a good luck. Let's be supportive where we can, criticize of course but talk hockey.  

21 minutes ago, RailYardDawgsFan2016 said:

you wonder why the family members get upset with you- you claim to not be personally attacking anyone and then you call out Spraggs for being overweight, slow, a poor skater, should be dumped.. and then you say players "stink" up the place... I noticed this on Mrs. Spraggs social media and I saw Moroso's wife reply agreeing and I think it's true and you should be aware and maybe more knowledgeable about the team than so bias and coming off rude. They clearly do read these things and I'm not saying you need to be nice because they're people to but rather so if this is a hockey forum let's stick to talking hockey. You wanna talk hockey? Moroso was still a top scorer and when coaching changed he didn't get playing time, where with the previous coach he was playing the guys every other line losing by 6 points where he got all his dashes yet still put up points and the entire team was in the whole and wasn't scoring.. Same goes for Spraggs.. when you actually play him he scores but when you sit him on the bench and don't put him on the powerplay then hello he's not given the opportunity to score. Common sense here. You're not talking hockey you bash players at times probably without knowing it. It's just the SPHL... & for Walsh.. he just clearly isn't at this playing level he'd do much better in the FHL. Bottom line is it's just the SPHL you should be more aware of what you say especially if it's been displayed on multiple wives social media accounts. It makes all of the Roanoke fans look bad and I want players and families to feel welcome to come here especially with the new season I'm sure Spraggs isn't coming back so that means someone else can and if they hear we have bad fans who rip the players apart it's not a good luck. Let's be supportive where we can, criticize of course but talk hockey.  

I have never called any player fat.

Moroso had a -23 plus/minus this season and a -28 last season. That is stinking up the place.

I have been extremely supportive of the team but also critical when needed. I am not attacking someone on a personal level. Saying that a player needs to hustle =/= a personal attack, it's an observation.