Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

GDT - Peoria @ Roanoke 4/11/18 Lynchburg 7:00 pm

I thought it seemed more then that.  It was loud and a good game by both teams.  We made 3 mistakes the whole game.  Barone saved us on one but Peoria capitalized on two of them.

• Like 1

Pretty evenly played game by both teams. Greg is right, Peoria made us pay for those mistakes and we couldn't capitalize more on Peoria's mistakes. I thought Peoria got the better of the play the 1st 2 periods and we outplayed them in the 3rd. Schneider gambled on pinching the blue line and lost which created the 2 on 1 for the GWG. Don't understand the attendance at 1204, but maybe they actually count tickets sold and not comped. I would say 2,000 maybe a little less but not much. The side the season tickets holders had was pretty full the side behind the benches about half full. Website says it holds 3,000 fans.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

I thought it seemed more then that.  It was loud and a good game by both teams.  We made 3 mistakes the whole game.  Barone saved us on one but Peoria capitalized on two of them.

Agree on all counts.

I thought the Dawgs played really, really well, but Peoria jumped on the mistakes they made.

And I thought the crowd was off the chart loud - Coach Dan and the players all commented on that post-game.

Tall task heading to Peoria, but it's one game at a time.

Let's Go Dawgs!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roanokehockey said:

Agree on all counts.

I thought the Dawgs played really, really well, but Peoria jumped on the mistakes they made.

And I thought the crowd was off the chart loud - Coach Dan and the players all commented on that post-game.

Tall task heading to Peoria, but it's one game at a time.

Let's Go Dawgs!

If we can cut down on the few mistakes we make we can beat them.  Just seems like if you make a mistake against them most the time your paying for them unless Barone makes a unbelievable save like he did the 1 out of 3 times we had breakdowns.  I agree its a tall task at hand but in no way am I giving up on our guys.  They played their hearts out and competitively the entire game.  One or two bounces go our way we win that game.  That Mele goal was incredible.  He had a few inches to get it in and he lifted the puck up and put it in perfectly.  I really hope he changes his mind and we see him back next year.  Hopefully we can pull out two games, but if not, we start off fresh next year and expecting great things.  My hockey outlook has totally changed with the new coach.  Bremner has them playing hard every game and very exciting team to watch win or lose.  Go Dawgs!!!

• Like 2

Well, I guess if we would have kept Spraggs and Moroso then we would have won 10-0.

All kidding aside, I am so impressed by the team. The fact that a team who just a few short months ago did not even have a win in regulation and could barely even string back to back wins together are now in the playoffs and played a very close game against the number one team. Everyone has been saying this for many months now but they look like a completely different team. They're faster and much more physical. Of course, there are some things they need to improve on but they are playing very well. I do like that the team proved that they can hang with Peoria especially since many fans have been saying that Peoria was going to wipe the floor with them. It was a very close game and I think Roanoke could have easily won. The game winning goal was a tough one since it was on an odd man rush which came from a few players mishandling the puck. One of my biggest critiques from last night is Vernace choosing to dump the puck in situations when he could have carried it into the zone. Also, we need to get more bodies in front of Peoria's net. Put Beer or Porter in front and let them battle it out in front of the net!

Overall, great game by the Dawgs and I am excited to watch the rest of this series. If Roanoke loses this series they still have a lot to be proud of, they have come a very long way and are without a doubt the most improved team in the league. I really think Bremner deserves coach of the year.

Also, I would like to add that Peoria is pretty classless and not gracious winners.

28 minutes ago, robard said:

Well, I guess if we would have kept Spraggs and Moroso then we would have won 10-0.

All kidding aside, I am so impressed by the team. The fact that a team who just a few short months ago did not even have a win in regulation and could barely even string back to back wins together are now in the playoffs and played a very close game against the number one team. Everyone has been saying this for many months now but they look like a completely different team. They're faster and much more physical. Of course, there are some things they need to improve on but they are playing very well. I do like that the team proved that they can hang with Peoria especially since many fans have been saying that Peoria was going to wipe the floor with them. It was a very close game and I think Roanoke could have easily won. The game winning goal was a tough one since it was on an odd man rush which came from a few players mishandling the puck. One of my biggest critiques from last night is Vernace choosing to dump the puck in situations when he could have carried it into the zone. Also, we need to get more bodies in front of Peoria's net. Put Beer or Porter in front and let them battle it out in front of the net!

Overall, great game by the Dawgs and I am excited to watch the rest of this series. If Roanoke loses this series they still have a lot to be proud of, they have come a very long way and are without a doubt the most improved team in the league. I really think Bremner deserves coach of the year.

frozen-let-it-go-meme.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

frozen-let-it-go-meme.jpg

I will never EVER let it go. 20 years from now when all the children of the current roster play for the team I will still talk about it!

8 minutes ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Hagaman was not a classy winner for sure.

I don't know if you saw it and I don't know which player it was but one guy from Peoria gave the finger to the crowd while leaving the ice at the end of the first period.

What did Hagaman do?

Last night literally looked like the Mighty Ducks. Big bad Iceland coached by "The Dentist" vs The Mighty Dawgs, a rough-around-the-edges team with mismatched Goodwill uniforms. There for a while I actually thought we were going to pull it off. They played about the best they've played all year long, considering Peoria might as well be an ECHL team. Against anybody else, that performance would have been a win. I saw hard shifts from everyone on the ice, nobody took one off, and they just made a few mistakes defensively that cost them the game. Peoria of course is a much better team, and they certainly played like it. I'll congratulate their fans on a win, but the team themselves are a bunch of classless thugs. Win this series or not, these a**holes just got themselves a rivalry that I guarantee we will be on the winning end of next season. All hard feelings aside though, I'm actually really proud of how much they've improved this year. We went from being a point out of last place with the worst record in the league, not even being able to beat Fayetteville, to being in my opinion one of the better teams in the second half, certainly the hardest working team out there, no doubt. 

What's this I hear about Steve Mele not wanting to come back? 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

Last night literally looked like the Mighty Ducks. Big bad Iceland coached by "The Dentist" vs The Mighty Dawgs, a rough-around-the-edges team with mismatched Goodwill uniforms. There for a while I actually thought we were going to pull it off. They played about the best they've played all year long, considering Peoria might as well be an ECHL team. Against anybody else, that performance would have been a win. I saw hard shifts from everyone on the ice, nobody took one off, and they just made a few mistakes defensively that cost them the game. Peoria of course is a much better team, and they certainly played like it. I'll congratulate their fans on a win, but the team themselves are a bunch of classless thugs. Win this series or not, these a**holes just got themselves a rivalry that I guarantee we will be on the winning end of next season. All hard feelings aside though, I'm actually really proud of how much they've improved this year. We went from being a point out of last place with the worst record in the league, not even being able to beat Fayetteville, to being in my opinion one of the better teams in the second half, certainly the hardest working team out there, no doubt. 

What's this I hear about Steve Mele not wanting to come back? 

I've heard that he is done after this season but I don't know how true it is. I do know that he has his real estate license so maybe he actually wants to make decent money.

EDIT: I went back and looked at the Roanoke Times article about his real estate stuff and Mele said he hopes his hockey career doesn't end anytime soon but who knows? I don't even remember who I heard it from so please take it with a grain of salt. I really hope he continues to play.

Edited by robard

41 minutes ago, robard said:

I've heard that he is done after this season but I don't know how true it is. I do know that he has his real estate license so maybe he actually wants to make decent money.

EDIT: I went back and looked at the Roanoke Times article about his real estate stuff and Mele said he hopes his hockey career doesn't end anytime soon but who knows? I don't even remember who I heard it from so please take it with a grain of salt. I really hope he continues to play.

I've heard it from a couple booster club members.  They mentioned he wasn't taking any call ups because he planned on retiring after this year.  He also had a breakout year and produced the most in his career.  So even if it was 100% true what they said, maybe he will change his mind.  I'm sure hoping so!!!

• Like 1

It would be sweet if he could get his brother Tommy to join him in Roanoke from Europe!