Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

HockeyRoanoke

Expansion

22 posts in this topic

Last night during the 2nd intermission on the Dawgs broadcast they had Bob McGinn on and he was talking about attending the SPHL board meetings next month.  One of the topics that he mentioned to be discussed was expansion and a few markets were interested in becoming part of the SPHL.  Anyone have any insight or guesses as to who may be applying for membership?

Quad City has been thrown around since they are leaving the ECHL but other than that I don't know. I really want Richmond to get another SPHL team for a close rivalry. 

Jim Combs mentioned on the challenge selection show that their goal for the league is 14 to 16 teams. How many years down the road to achieve that goal? Who knows?

i hope if Quad City comes on board a southern city will also. I don’t like an odd number of teams in the league. 12 and two divisions would be great for next season.

I'd love to see Richmond and Greensboro, maybe Trenton. I mean we already have an actual old ECHL squad in the Rivermen, so to bring back the old school ECHL would be great. Maybe increase the size to 12-14 teams and still keep the top 8 in the playoffs. Unfortunately you still have to factor in franchises folding (which I'm afraid might happen in Fayetteville), but it'd be cool to see this league get bigger. We could potentially take on some FHL teams since about half that league is already playing up here anyway. 

Actually, we have a league full of old ECHL squads. Every current city in SPHL has had an ECHL team in their past - except Mississippi and Fayetteville, who have had CHL teams (even Huntsville was in the ECHL for one season).

The league goal of 14 to 16 teams has been around for several years. It's been said that divisions become a realistic option once we hit - and maintain - 12 teams.

• Like 2

Awards Earned

2 hours ago, robard said:

Quad City has been thrown around since they are leaving the ECHL but other than that I don't know. I really want Richmond to get another SPHL team for a close rivalry. 

Correct, QC is one team that has been mentioned. I saw an article (probably listed in the thread about QC and expansion) saying their two leagues they are looking at is the SPHL and USHL. If they are joining the SPHL they must have new ownership in place no later than May 15. 

One other team that's been mentioned is Winston-Salem, NC. Currently in the FHL, leads the league in attendance.....but will only be currently good enough attendance to be 9th or so in the SPHL. They finished 3rd overall, currently the league has fallen from 6 teams to 4. Alot of things have to go right for WS to join and Id love for them to do so, but some things pointing to no.

Awards Earned

2 hours ago, robard said:

I really want Richmond to get another SPHL team for a close rivalry. 

I couldn't agree with you more on Richmond.  In the old days, Richmond-Roanoke was a really good, heated series.  Unfortunately, the big roadblock today is that the city of Richmond can't figure out what to do with the Coliseum.  Now there's a sliver of hope although the final product is probably a couple of years away. Bring Hockey Back to Richmond has an awesome Facebook group that has been very active, and here's one of the latest posts on the subject:

This is just my opinion, but when you combine certain rumors, different reports from the local news outlets, and the Coliseum online calendar I'd say the Coliseum's days are numbered and the city of Richmond is about to have a new state of the art venue. The City Council meeting to approve NH District Corp's lone bid to replace the Coliseum and develop the surrounding area will be just a formality by the time it actually gets to them. If you go by the Coliseum's online calendar of events there is nothing booked beyond the first week of June and there are unconfirmed rumors that the Coliseum is no longer booking events for the upcoming year (again these are just rumors.) But if you look at the timeline I could see it playing out like this, in the next couple of months we'll see a press release that the Mayor is more than satisfied with NH District Corp's proposal and then he will rush this through to be approved by City Council. SMG will be kept on to manage the Altria and the Dominion Center for the Arts through December when their contract comes to an end. The staff at the Coliseum will have 90 days to pack up anything that the city finds valuable or reusable and come September NH District Corp will take over the building and plan the demo. The reason I think it plays out like this is because the people involved with NH District Corp are some very powerful and influential people who have put a great deal of money and resources into this project already. Buckle up it could be a very exciting Spring and Summer here in the RVA... or it could be business as usual. Either way we need to stay positive and vocal about our desire to have hockey return. If they build this new Coliseum teams and leagues will come knocking and we need to continue to show that we are willing to support it.

Fingers crossed that this might happen.

• Like 1

Awards Earned

2 hours ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

I'd love to see Richmond and Greensboro, maybe Trenton. I mean we already have an actual old ECHL squad in the Rivermen, so to bring back the old school ECHL would be great. Maybe increase the size to 12-14 teams and still keep the top 8 in the playoffs. Unfortunately you still have to factor in franchises folding (which I'm afraid might happen in Fayetteville), but it'd be cool to see this league get bigger. We could potentially take on some FHL teams since about half that league is already playing up here anyway. 

Why would you think Fayettevile might fold?  Have you been following what the new ownership has been doing for the franchise or are you going by one season's record?  The lease for the Crown is signed for 4 more seasons with an option for 5 more.  Attendance went from the low 50's to the mid 80's despite a poor performing team.  I do believe a team in the SP will be folding in a year or two but I highly doubt it'll be Fayetteville.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

Why would you think Fayettevile might fold?  Have you been following what the new ownership has been doing for the franchise or are you going by one season's record?  The lease for the Crown is signed for 4 more seasons with an option for 5 more.  Attendance went from the low 50's to the mid 80's despite a poor performing team.  I do believe a team in the SP will be folding in a year or two but I highly doubt it'll be Fayetteville.

I hope Fayetteville does not fold! I went to one of their games and it was a ton of fun despite Roanoke losing. I honestly think the in game entertainment, and merchandise is way better than Roanoke!

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:51 AM, Make Marky GM said:

No way Faytetteville will fold. Heck there attendance jump up to nearly 3,000 average this year. Most teams in the SPHL are fine but Evansville worries me. Macon is on the up and don't see them leaving

• Like 1

Awards Earned

On 4/12/2018 at 9:20 AM, LeftySlammer92 said:

lmao I didnt see this til now, but no way....

On 4/12/2018 at 11:51 AM, Make Marky GM said:

:thumbsup2:

44 minutes ago, Antz Fan said:

No way Faytetteville will fold. Heck there attendance jump up to nearly 3,000 average this year. Most teams in the SPHL are fine but Evansville worries me. Macon is on the up and don't see them leaving

• Like 1

Awards Earned

Here is news on what's going on in Richmond.  But what they are discussing about being a coliseum with 17k or 18k seats is a bit big for SPHL arenas.  Check out the comment at the bottom, someone doesn't think its going to be a success.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/04/13/city-seeks-info-farrell-led-coliseum-redevelopment-group/

• Like 1

Awards Earned

On 4/12/2018 at 9:20 AM, LeftySlammer92 said:

I have to keep saying this. Greensboro WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER, see hockey again. Please trust me on this. I was born at Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital in the year 1980. Cone Hospital is the biggest hospital in Greensboro. I lived in Greensboro for the vast majority of my life, up until January 2016, when I moved to the foothills of NC. I am Greensboro born and bred. I loved my Monarchs. But as long as Nancy is mayor, Matt Brown and Scott Johnson are directors of the Coliseum, we WILL NEVER SEE hockey again.

Besides, the Coliseum would put any SPHL arena to shame! 21,000+ seats. Even the lower half of the arena is nearly 10,000 seats.

14 hours ago, Antz Fan said:

Evansville is good. The team is owned by the arena management. They are good.

On 4/12/2018 at 11:16 AM, Marksmen3519 said:

Correct, QC is one team that has been mentioned. I saw an article (probably listed in the thread about QC and expansion) saying their two leagues they are looking at is the SPHL and USHL. If they are joining the SPHL they must have new ownership in place no later than May 15. 

One other team that's been mentioned is Winston-Salem, NC. Currently in the FHL, leads the league in attendance.....but will only be currently good enough attendance to be 9th or so in the SPHL. They finished 3rd overall, currently the league has fallen from 6 teams to 4. Alot of things have to go right for WS to join and Id love for them to do so, but some things pointing to no.

I don't think W-S is welcome in the SPHL, unless something extremely major changes.

47 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

I don't think W-S is welcome in the SPHL, unless something extremely major changes.

Think it has more to do with Soskin than W-S itself.

Awards Earned

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Think it has more to do with Soskin than W-S itself.

I think that is probably the major issue, but I think there is an extremely raw nerve from whatever happened during W-S last appearance in the SPHL.  I'm not "in the know" on whatever that was, but I just get the impression there is a lingering issue from previous times.  Speculation on my part, except for hearing minor comments regarding expansion locations from knowledgeable people.

Edited by Carey Mahoney

2 hours ago, Carey Mahoney said:

I think that is probably the major issue, but I think there is an extremely raw nerve from whatever happened during W-S last appearance in the SPHL.  I'm not "in the know" on whatever that was, but I just get the impression there is a lingering issue from previous times.  Speculation on my part, except for hearing minor comments regarding expansion locations from knowledgeable people.

The last Winston team were the Cyclones (Twin City Cyclones), aka the Macon Mayhem.

Bob Kerzner's explanation was due to lack of attendance. Their existence in Winston were the 2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons.

Twin City   30,698 26

Twin City   33,909 30

They averaged a mere 1,154 per game in the 2 seasons they were there.

On 4/14/2018 at 10:01 AM, Marksmen3519 said:

lmao I didnt see this til now, but no way....

It's not really the record, it's just whenever you start seeing ownership change hands and rebrands and whatnot, you always have to be wary. I really thought WE were in trouble earlier this year, and when Bremner stepped in as a first year coach, you know, you're just kind of hoping that the change of pace "takes". Our attendance was down quite a bit during that Ftorek crap, so I was hoping that the city hadn't lost faith in the team since we totally sucked. I really hope they don't go anywhere any time soon, they're a fun team to play and it's always nice having their fans up here. 

2 hours ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

It's not really the record, it's just whenever you start seeing ownership change hands and rebrands and whatnot, you always have to be wary. I really thought WE were in trouble earlier this year, and when Bremner stepped in as a first year coach, you know, you're just kind of hoping that the change of pace "takes". Our attendance was down quite a bit during that Ftorek crap, so I was hoping that the city hadn't lost faith in the team since we totally sucked. I really hope they don't go anywhere any time soon, they're a fun team to play and it's always nice having their fans up here. 

I am terrified of hockey leaving Roanoke again. I guess it's because we've had so many different teams and people are quick to lose interest. I hope that does not happen again! If Roanoke loses another hockey team then I am going to move. I am spoiled by having hockey so close I do not want to live without it!

18 minutes ago, robard said:

I am terrified of hockey leaving Roanoke again. I guess it's because we've had so many different teams and people are quick to lose interest. I hope that does not happen again! If Roanoke loses another hockey team then I am going to move. I am spoiled by having hockey so close I do not want to live without it!

I don't think we have to worry about Hockey going anywhere anytime soon, unless something goes severely wrong.  I will say if Hockey does leave again odds are it won't be back.  But with all the investments the McGinn family has made in the area I really don't think we have to worry about that.  

5 hours ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

It is my understanding that if ownership in Fayetteville would not have changed hands the franchise was going to fold.  I think every franchise in the SP should be wary of the future. All you can do is take it one year at a time and hope for the best.

• Like 2