Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

robard

Protected List 18/19

You're the coach. Who do you protect?

From what I understand, Schneider is done after this season and I also heard that Mele is done too.

Here is who I would protect:

Goalies:

Barone

Zenzola

Defensemen:

Sova

Rowland

Bakker

Fowards:

Guyon

Beer

Garvin

Murray

Witzel

Porter

Tatrn

Gandara

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robard said:

You're the coach. Who do you protect?

From what I understand, Schneider is done after this season and I also heard that Mele is done too.

Here is who I would protect:

Goalies:

Barone

Zenzola

Defensemen:

Sova

Rowland

Bakker

Fowards:

Guyon

Beer

Garvin

Murray

Witzel

Porter

Tatrn

Gandara

I don't care if Mele is 99.9% sure he's going to retire.  If we still have that .1% he's on my list.  Hard to make up for all that production he gives us.  Not sure who i'd drop, maybe a goalie, Zenzola.  They seem easiest to find each year.  Neither one we ended up with was with us last year.  Be hard decision but your list is pretty close.  Another thing though, is Mele wasn't on our list last year.  Not sure if that was because he was injured most of the year or just had an agreement with Ftorek to come back anyways.  If so he might do the samething with Bremner, since he flourished with him being our new coach.

1 minute ago, Greg81102 said:

I don't care if Mele is 99.9% sure he's going to retire.  If we still have that .1% he's on my list.  Hard to make up for all that production he gives us.  Not sure who i'd drop, maybe a goalie, Zenzola.  They seem easiest to find each year.  Neither one we ended up with was with us last year.  Be hard decision but your list is pretty close.  Another thing though, is Mele wasn't on our list last year.  Not sure if that was because he was injured most of the year or just had an agreement with Ftorek to come back anyways.  If so he might do the samething with Bremner, since he flourished with him being our new coach.

I made my list with the mindset that Mele would be gone but I would have him on the list for sure. I also saw that he wasn't protected last year which is crazy. I think it's another example of Ftorek not knowing what he had/no knowing what to do with players. It was really hard to make a protected list for me, we have some quality players now.

4 minutes ago, robard said:

I made my list with the mindset that Mele would be gone but I would have him on the list for sure. I also saw that he wasn't protected last year which is crazy. I think it's another example of Ftorek not knowing what he had/no knowing what to do with players. It was really hard to make a protected list for me, we have some quality players now.

Or maybe after the injury it made him think about his future and told Ftorek he planned on retiring and decided to come back for one more year.  All just speculation, I have no clue the real reason.  Seemed dumb to me.  But Ftorek hardly ever made the right decision for the team.  :clap:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Or maybe after the injury it made him think about his future and told Ftorek he planned on retiring and decided to come back for one more year.  All just speculation, I have no clue the real reason.  Seemed dumb to me.  But Ftorek hardly ever made the right decision for the team.  :clap:

I can't think of one good decision. 

• Like 1

I think some veterans in the league will tell the coach to "not bother with protecting me, I'll be back."  Fayetteville could probably do that with Hauswirth but I don't think they would want to chance it.

34 minutes ago, robard said:

I can't think of one good decision. 

He did trade Russell to get Gustafsson. I liked that move myself.

We may have to put some players up for an expansion draft if a team or teams are added to the league??

40 minutes ago, KennyLang1775 said:

He did trade Russell to get Gustafsson. I liked that move myself.

I like Gustafsson but I like Russell more. However, I think we got a similar and better player in Witzel and Gustafsson turned out to be a real asset. 

Ftorek's one contribution to the team!

Ftorek did get us Brad Barone as De Melo's backup, which ended up being a huge lynchpin in our success this year. So I'll give him credit for that even if it was just dumb luck. 

I'll submit two lists, one with the condition that Mele, Gustafsson, and Schneider are back, and one without. I'm not sure if it's like the NHL where you can do the 9 or 11 format type thing but here goes:

G

Barone

D

Sova

Bakker

Schneider or Rowland

F

Mele or Gandara

Gustafsson or Gandara or Bronner*

Witzel

Beer

Tatrn

Guyon

Vernace

Murray

Garvin

If I'm Bremner, as far as who I'd be looking to add next season would be a true top Defenseman and potentially a replacement for Mele. Go after Hauswirth if we could (though I hear he's in Fayetteville for family reasons). Our defense isn't really the greatest and we've been hanging Barone out to dry quite a bit with odd man rushes and whatnot. I love Joe Sova, but he's a lot more conservative than say Schneider is. As much as I love the more physical aspects of Bronner and Porter, I think we keep skill over size. Vernace is a gem if he learns how to be better in his own end, so I'd keep him too. I saw Harrison last night, but I don't think I saw enough of him to really make a fair assessment. 

14 minutes ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

Ftorek did get us Brad Barone as De Melo's backup, which ended up being a huge lynchpin in our success this year. So I'll give him credit for that even if it was just dumb luck. 

I'll submit two lists, one with the condition that Mele, Gustafsson, and Schneider are back, and one without. I'm not sure if it's like the NHL where you can do the 9 or 11 format type thing but here goes:

G

Barone

D

Sova

Bakker

Schneider or Rowland

F

Mele or Gandara

Witzel

Beer

Tatrn

Guyon

Vernace

Murray

Garvin

If I'm Bremner, as far as who I'd be looking to add next season would be a true top Defenseman and potentially a replacement for Mele. Go after Hauswirth if we could (though I hear he's in Fayetteville for family reasons). Our defense isn't really the greatest and we've been hanging Barone out to dry quite a bit with odd man rushes and whatnot. I love Joe Sova, but he's a lot more conservative than say Schneider is. As much as I love the more physical aspects of Bronner and Porter, I think we keep skill over size. Vernace is a gem if he learns how to be better in his own end, so I'd keep him too. I saw Harrison last night, but I don't think I saw enough of him to really make a fair assessment. 

I think it is almost 100% certain that Schneider will not be back which I hate because I really like him!

On 4/12/2018 at 2:36 PM, LeftySlammer92 said:

G

Barone

D

Sova

Bakker

Schneider or Rowland

F

Mele or Gandara

Witzel

Beer

Tatrn

Guyon

Vernace

Murray

Garvin

Any combination of 13 players.....if you went through 13 goalies and want to protect all of them, go ahead.

23 minutes ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

G

Barone

D

Sova

Bakker

Schneider or Rowland

F

Mele or Gandara

Witzel

Beer

Tatrn

Guyon

Vernace

Murray

Garvin

You might as well delete this sentence, lmao. Sorry, it wont happen. The only way I see Hausy leaving is if you give us every all-star you have plus a huge cash payment.....maybe even more. Seeing how he had his best season ever in the SP, even on a poor team, I dont see ownership or coach wanting to part ways. Also, yes it has to do with family, and he loves it here. Thanks though, I needed a laugh.

7 minutes ago, Marksmen3519 said:

You might as well delete this sentence, lmao. Sorry, it wont happen. The only way I see Hausy leaving is if you give us every all-star you have plus a huge cash payment.....maybe even more. Seeing how he had his best season ever in the SP, even on a poor team, I dont see ownership or coach wanting to part ways. Also, yes it has to do with family, and he loves it here. Thanks though, I needed a laugh.

Oh I'm well aware he's not on the market. It's a pipe dream. But I think that goes to show how much respect we have for him. Dude's a beast. 

10 minutes ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

Oh I'm well aware he's not on the market. It's a pipe dream. But I think that goes to show how much respect we have for him. Dude's a beast. 

I'm sorry for how that came across. I was waiting on someone and didnt have time to proof-read before submitting it since I had to drive 2.5 miles home. I do believe every team would want him, but Id be surprised if he doesn't retire in a Fay sweater.

If Hauswirth was to play anywhere except Fayetteville it would be on a #2 line in the ECHL.  Reports are he turned down call-up offers to stay here with family.  I don't know if his style of play would fit with Bremner's style anyway.

Check out @SpiritJrA’s Tweet:

Unless I am missreading something, Porter has decided to retire from playing and move into coaching.

16 hours ago, vicvegas said:

Unless I am missreading something, Porter has decided to retire from playing and move into coaching.

Well, that sucks. 

16 hours ago, vicvegas said:

Yea, I saw this yesterday (maybe it was day before).....but I didnt want to be the bearer of bad news.

I'm taking a guess here, but we probably wont see any announcements until May 15 or later....

I believe it was around May 23rd last year.

Posted (edited)

http://railyarddawgs.pointstreaksites.com/view/roanokerailyarddawgs/news-1147/news_503904

Very good list. Would've liked to see Gandara on the list, even though he is small I really liked his aggressive play after Bremner took over but I guess since Witzel and Guyon on the list you don't want a bunch of small players. Either way, good job Dawgs on a great list.

Edited by Canucks13

Sorry didn't see your post before I posted new topic, I think we all knew Schneider was retiring. That's a big loss, but I liked what Daniel Vernace brought to the lineup. Plus opens up a vet spot for us as well for next year.

55 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

I liked what Daniel Vernace brought to the lineup. Plus opens up a vet spot for us as well for next year.

What's the league definition of a veteran?  Vernace has played 100 games in the ECHL/SPHL.

Thanks in advance.