Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Ice Flyers dig hole, face steep climb

Ice Flyers dig hole, face steep climb after loss to Knoxville in playoff opener

By Bill Vilona - News Journal

The Ice Flyers sporadic lapses and specialty team woes have cost them other games this season. 

But the latest breakdown has pushed them to brink of early playoff elimination.

After the Ice Flyers scored in the first 90 seconds of the game, it became short-lived energy after the Knoxville Ice Bears scored three consecutive goals, then controlled play in a 6-2 victory Thursday night at the Bay Center in Game 1 of their SPHL playoff quarterfinal series.

"All in all it was a matter of us being prepared for 60 minutes ... and we weren't," said Ice Flyers coach Jeff Bes. "It's that simple. It's April here, first game of playoffs in our home barn, you would think the guys the hunger and energy to go out there and do it.

"(Thursday), it was evident they didn't."

Read more at: https://www.pnj.com/story/sports/2018/04/12/ice-flyers-dig-hole-face-steep-climb-after-loss-knoxville-playoff-opener/512549002/

Jeff Bes is just not a very good coach come playoff time.  He proved that with the Surge, it continued with the FireAntz and now he's proving it with the Ice Flyers.  His teams have been to the playoffs five times prior to this season and have won only one round out of six.  He's a decent coach in the regular season but come playoff time, don't expect many positive results if he's coaching your team.

1 hour ago, AfghanPiehole said:

Jeff Bes is just not a very good coach come playoff time.  He proved that with the Surge, it continued with the FireAntz and now he's proving it with the Ice Flyers.  His teams have been to the playoffs five times prior to this season and have won only one round out of six.  He's a decent coach in the regular season but come playoff time, don't expect many positive results if he's coaching your team.

The series is not over but if PEN doesn't come back Bes will always be known as the man who selected a #5 seed when the #7 was still available.  I still wish he would've coached Fayetteville one more year though.

43 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

The series is not over but if PEN doesn't come back Bes will always be known as the man who selected a #5 seed when the #7 was still available.  I still wish he would've coached Fayetteville one more year though.

It's one thing to get upset, but it feels a lot worse if you pick the people who beat you. I'm enjoying the new format.

Me too.

I'm just glad they didn't pick opponents in 8, 7, 6, 5 order.

The Challenge Round naysayers would have been all over that.