Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
kittrellrunner

Playoff attendance

I was pleasantly surprised regarding the attendance last night, honestly.  We just found out a week ago the exact schedule and there were tons of things going on yesterday.  Kids spring sports are in full swing, the Soapbox Derby downtown draws thousands, other outdoor activities were on people's minds as well.  It was 85 degrees and sunny yesterday.  At the end of the day, hockey in Macon does best when there is nothing else to do--after college football season ends and before spring activities take flight.  Everybody I invited to yesterday's game already had plans.  The top two responses I received:  1) at the ballpark with kids all day, 2) at ____________  (park, lake, etc) with the family because it is so nice!  While it would be nice to say that there is a huge hockey culture in Middle Georgia, the reality is that there is a nice sports culture in town, but hockey is never going to supercede a UGA football game watch party or the lure of an 85 degree sunny day...  It just is what it is!

Unfortunately, today's attendance will be lucky to break 1000.  Sunday afternoon games are always low here and this is a surprise Sunday game that we were only certain would be played at about 9:30 last night--not a recipe for good attendance.  If we wanted decent attendance today, the team should've given admittance to today's (Sunday) game with the stub from Saturday's game.  Of course, giving things away doesn't pay the bills so...

• Thanks 1

1211 in attendance for a Sunday game that began in a monsoon.  not too bad.  I stand corrected...we broke 1000.