Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Goonhunter4mksmen

New Coach and staff please!

Losing season record,and Drobot and McNeil cant stir the physical part by themselves. I think its time for Owners to listen to fans for some opinions. Stop bringing in the young out of college and bring in more players that  have more knowledge about the needs for a successful season. What do yall think?

2 minutes ago, Goonhunter4mksmen said:

Losing season record,and Drobot and McNeil cant stir the physical part by themselves. I think its time for Owners to listen to fans for some opinions. Stop bringing in the young out of college and bring in more players that  have more knowledge about the needs for a successful season. What do yall think?

If this is in reference to the 5 guys signed straight out of college at the end of the season, thats what all teams do in this league. They do this to scout young players for next year.

Posted (edited)

This isnt this is overall roster no size or alot of experience on the team except for a few. This coach/Owner need to look at the other teams pushing us around and particularly the occassions where our goalie found himself in the net a couple of times due to the other team being physical on last game/season. This wouldnt have happened when Matt Goody, Shrieves, Milburn, Matt Shannon, Moffat were on the team in pervious seasons. All the ones above were all well rounded players with size and wouldnt allow that to happen. Although Drobot is capable of these physical duties the coach needs to let him enforce instead of holding on the bench in these situations. This would also get the crowd into it and improve the attendance! I definitely know I missed a ton more of enforcers from the past but this is a few of many I could name.

Edited by Goonhunter4mksmen

4 minutes ago, Goonhunter4mksmen said:

This isnt this is overall roster no size or alot of experience on the team except for a few. This coach/Owner need to look at the other teams pushing us around and particularly the occassions where our goalie found himself in the net a couple of times due to the other team being physical on last game/season. This wouldnt have happened when Matt Goody, Shrieves, Milburn, Matt Shannon, Moffat were on the team in pervious seasons. All the ones above were all well rounded players with size and wouldnt allow that to happen. Although Drobot is capable of these physical duties the coach needs to let him enforce instead of holding on the bench in these situations. This would also get the crowd into it and improve the attendance! I definitely know I missed a ton more of enforcers from the past but this is a few of many I could name.

I wasn't going to games when those players played, but I have heard of Moffat. 

• Like 1

Marty Melnachuk comes to mind, opposing forwards would not even lineup shoulder to shoulder for faceoffs, they would line up about 6 feet away so they could get away from him, the toughest guy ever to play hockey in Fayetteville, would go after players would took cheap shots at our stars in a New York Minute.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Amen thank you. Now lets speak on his behalf me being friends with Marty on fb he may be of the coaching interest. If that could happen we wouldnt be getting pushed around like we do now for sure.:2thumbsup:

Edited by Goonhunter4mksmen

The truth is it's not the team. It's the league. The league is trying to cut out a lot of the fighting so the ECHL will send down players to get playing time without getting hurt. The fighting overall in the league is cutting down. So with no fighting, you don't need the fighters anymore. Drobot will be pushed out the league, just like Barr was pushed out. Of course with no fighting, then big checks are taken out because players know they don't have the toughness behind them. So equals to boring hockey in my opinion, nothing what the league was built on. So many Southern Markets (Columbus, Fayetteville) likes toughness and fights, but not getting it any more. Now the league is at a crossroads... go more finesse like the NHL adopted or go to fighting and checking on what the league was built on.

3 hours ago, center33 said:

The truth is it's not the team. It's the league. The league is trying to cut out a lot of the fighting so the ECHL will send down players to get playing time without getting hurt. The fighting overall in the league is cutting down. So with no fighting, you don't need the fighters anymore. Drobot will be pushed out the league, just like Barr was pushed out. Of course with no fighting, then big checks are taken out because players know they don't have the toughness behind them. So equals to boring hockey in my opinion, nothing what the league was built on. So many Southern Markets (Columbus, Fayetteville) likes toughness and fights, but not getting it any more. Now the league is at a crossroads... go more finesse like the NHL adopted or go to fighting and checking on what the league was built on.

Agreed.  It seems to me there was less fighting going on this year in the SP.  As for Fayetteville, under Esposito they were willing to drop their gloves.  Under the interim coach they weren't physical and didn't fight much. 

4 hours ago, center33 said:

Maybe some teams, but since we got Bremner we check and hard hit every game.  The only team that got their feelings hurt all year was Peoria this last game we played them.  We had the least amount of fights in the league.  As far as I've seen, most teams play the game the right way and checking is a big part of that.  Peoria is the only team I felt took offence to hitting.  But it didn't help the ref wasn't calling the game like he should.  It was a big reason the game got out of control.

5 hours ago, center33 said:

1 hour ago, Make Marky GM said:

Agreed.  It seems to me there was less fighting going on this year in the SP.  As for Fayetteville, under Esposito they were willing to drop their gloves.  Under the interim coach they weren't physical and didn't fight much. 

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

Maybe some teams, but since we got Bremner we check and hard hit every game.  The only team that got their feelings hurt all year was Peoria this last game we played them.  We had the least amount of fights in the league.  As far as I've seen, most teams play the game the right way and checking is a big part of that.  Peoria is the only team I felt took offence to hitting.  But it didn't help the ref wasn't calling the game like he should.  It was a big reason the game got out of control.

This isnt the first season I've noticed a drop in PIM (fighting), but it has dropped a little more compared to seasons prior......Sicard use to get 300+ PIM 2-3 seasons ago.....now the player with the most PIM is lucky to see 200+. Drobot currently has 214, and is the only player over 200 with 2 games to go.

11 minutes ago, Marksmen3519 said:

This isnt the first season I've noticed a drop in PIM (fighting), but it has dropped a little more compared to seasons prior......Sicard use to get 300+ PIM 2-3 seasons ago.....now the player with the most PIM is lucky to see 200+. Drobot currently has 214, and is the only player over 200 with 2 games to go.

Roanoke's highest PIM is Chris Kravchuk who played 23 games with us and had 62 PIM before we waived him and ended up in Fayetteville.  Just shows you can hit and check hard without getting tons of PIMS.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Roanoke's highest PIM is Chris Kravchuk who played 23 games with us and had 62 PIM before we waived him and ended up in Fayetteville.  Just shows you can hit and check hard without getting tons of PIMS.

And where is Kravchuk now?

2 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

And where is Kravchuk now?

No clue, Fayetteville put him on team suspension so he couldn't play with any other SPHL team.

10 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

No clue, Fayetteville put him on team suspension so he couldn't play with any other SPHL team.

My point, exactly: despite the fact that you wrote  "Roanoke's highest PIM is Chris Kravchuk who played 23 games with us and had 62 PIM before we waived him and ended up in Fayetteville.  Just shows you can hit and check hard without getting tons of PIMS." he's not playing anywhere right now (even in lowly Fayetteville) according to www.hockeydb.com. So hitting and checking hard aren't the only characteristics coaches are looking for in a player.

6 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

My point, exactly: despite the fact that you wrote  "Roanoke's highest PIM is Chris Kravchuk who played 23 games with us and had 62 PIM before we waived him and ended up in Fayetteville.  Just shows you can hit and check hard without getting tons of PIMS." he's not playing anywhere right now (even in lowly Fayetteville) according to www.hockeydb.com. So hitting and checking hard aren't the only characteristics coaches are looking for in a player.

I meant our whole team hits hard and he was the player that still leads our team in penalty minutes.  Not that he was the best checker on our team.  He was waived as soon as Bremner was taken over as coach.  That's when we started checking and hitting hard.  So your point can't be more wrong because in no way was I even talking about him.  I was referring to the team hitting hard and low PIM.  I wouldn't consider 62 minutes in penalties in 23 games low PIM.  Plus your wrong about our coach.  One of the biggest things he expects his players to do is play physical and finish their checks.  You see no one out there now not landing checks when the opportunity is there.  But our next closest Nick Schneider played 53 games and has 61 penalty minutes which I consider low PIM.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:08 PM, center33 said:

I'm also not sure, but I wouldn't say Tyler Barr was pushed out of the league.  He had eight years playing in the pros. That's a lot more then a lot of players that had a lot better skills then he did. He's now an assistant coach with the Louisiana Drillers in junior hockey.  I believe he found a good chance to get into coaching and ran with it.  I'm sure if Jeremy Beirnes wasn't in Wheeling he would be in Roanoke playing for us.  I believe aggressive, tough guys will always be a big part of the game.  The problem i see, is one dimensional players that all they are for is fighting and taking up for your team are becoming obsolete.  The game now is so fast and skilled it's just a burden on a team to throw a player in the line up who can't play on a regular shift and hold his own.  But my opinion guys who can fight and has good skills like Dennis Sicard will always be welcomed by a lot of teams.  The problem is that not many players around today with both skill sets.  Most of the fights today are started by players playing ice hockey and it occurring naturally in the game.  Unlike back awhile ago, when coach's would just send a goon out to start something or for an attempt at a  momentum shift in the game. You don't nearly see as many staged fights as we use to.  Which I don't mind much at all. I have enjoyed watching the Dawgs this year alot after Bremner became our coach.  Just them being physical and seeing them give some bone chilling checks all game long entertains me.  Having the league low in fighting majors this year hasn't had any negative effect for the entertainment value for me.  With saying that, it would be nice having someone out there who the other team knows they would have to answer to when trying to bully our guys.   When the ref doesn't want to call anything.  I hadn't seen any of that all year until our series with Peoria.  Who seems to take exception with guys just playing hard and the game of hockey in general.  The game has changed and it's a lot harder climbing the ranks based on skills of an enforcer, so a lot of players are working on skills a lot more.  But I still believe players who can fight and take up for their teammates will always have a place on a team if they have a good set of hockey skills.  There will always be a Peoria in any league most of the time.  I think it's the skill of the game pushing enforcers out, not the league.  If they were really trying to get it out of the league, they wouldn't let a 6'4 235 pound Cody Dion throw Matt Beer down on the ice and rip his helmet off and beat him in the back of the head, face first on the ice.  Just for putting a clean check on Dion into the boards and give him a 1 game suspension that they had to because he was an aggressor in the last 5 minutes.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:08 PM, center33 said:

Where is Barr at now

14 minutes ago, puckcounter said:

Where is Barr at now

Assistant coach with Lousiana Drillers in junior hockey

I don't know if they'll bring back Bierchen or not.  It's going to be interesting to see if they bring him back, spend the $$$ to bring in a proven coach or go with another rookie coach.  Things could never be as bad as they were this season.

3 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

I don't know if they'll bring back Bierchen or not.  It's going to be interesting to see if they bring him back, spend the $$$ to bring in a proven coach or go with another rookie coach.  Things could never be as bad as they were this season.

How much do you think it would cost to convince a proven coach to take the job?

My question would be, is there a salary table for the SPHL for coaches? We know seasoned players get paid a little more than the ones that are considered rookies.