Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

ChompNation

ECHL files trademark for "Central Hockey League"

image.png.e135c1ed6f7b5a56f9c5d1dfd1261ccc.png

The ECHL filed a trademark for "Central Hockey League" to be used for "Professional hockey exhibitions".  Wondering what this could intel?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChompNation said:

The ECHL filed a trademark for "Central Hockey League" to be used for "Professional hockey exhibitions".  Wondering what this could intel?

I'm more interested in what it may entail, but some intel would satisfy me for now.  ;)

Odd that some guy from Hamilton, Ontario, would be Twitter-ing about this topic, but his reply below is a very likely explanation.  Maybe a former principal or minor actor in the Central Hockey League has their eyes on standing up a potential ECHL competitor in some of the former CeHL markets.

AZadarski Tweet.JPG

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Speedracer said:

Continental Hockey League?

Same initials, but the Tweeter specifically cited "Central Hockey League" as the object of the trademark filing.  And nevertheless, your suggestion might not sit well with the Kontinental Komrades

Posted (edited)

There's also an attempt to launch a renegade Jr. league called the USA Central Hockey League but they've been radio silent for close to two months. This could be a way to keep them from using just the CHL name as some of the faces behind the USACHL were behind the C1HL that failed to launch twice.

Edited by Geoff
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2018 at 8:05 PM, JMC-STL said:

I'm more interested in what it may entail, but some intel would satisfy me for now.  ;)

What's your current position on entrails?

26 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

What's your current position on entrails?

I find them offal.  rimshot.gif

• Like 1

Does This mean a name change is coming soon 

Not necessarily. The Coast is a hoarder when it comes to trademarks, It's why Pensacola can't be the Ice Pilots, Biloxi couldn't be the Sea Wolves, why QC can't be the Mallards if/when they join, etc. If you've got the money and motivation to work it out with them (ex. IceGators, Cottonmouths, Colorado Eagles and their move to the AHL with the same name). The ECHL likes to do it kinda as a built-in non-compete clause and so they can do this: ECHL Vintage Shop.

This could simply be a move so no one else can use the name.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Geoff said:

... The ECHL likes to do it kinda as a built-in non-compete clause and so they can do this: ECHL Vintage Shop. ...

An awfully ticky-tacky move just so they can try to sell some musty old merchandise left behind when a member team folds.  Though in the spirit of full disclosure, the Seawolves replica that I purchased from them a few years ago was as clean & fresh as a Gulf breeze.  :MS: