Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

center33

FHL Expansion 2018-2019 & beyond??

45 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

When it's located in the 98% of the state not included in NYC and environs?

The judges will give you partial credit for that response, Mr. Mac.  According to this Sperling's Best Places comparison, Elmira's housing costs are significantly lower than NYC as well as the nationwide average.  The price of groceries is also lower by a substantial amount, but the other primary costs of living contributors are pretty even with Big Apple dwellers.  Notice how high Utilities costs are for both cities vs. U.S. average - that's a large portion of income depletion anywhere in the Northeast.

On 7/20/2018 at 7:37 PM, TroopSupporter42069 said:

The latest is it sounds like the league is FINALLY going to announce the Mentor team. Which makes it really weird that local media there hasn't had a thing about it.

https://busleaguehockey.com/2018/07/20/fhl-announcement-on-mentor-oh-imminent/

When your leading media outlet is the Mentor News-Herald and the topic is the FHL, is it really that weird? :hmm:

https://busleaguehockey.com/2018/07/23/its-official-fhl-expands-to-mentor-ohio/

In possibly the longest-anticipated and worst-kept-secret in league history, the Federal Hockey League has officially welcomed Mentor, Ohio to the league as its sixth-and-final team of the 2018-19 season.

Please welcome, the Mentor Ice Breakers.

Since late-March, BLH had been on the hunt for public news of any kind regarding a major-tip given by a high-level source at the FHL that said the league was prospecting a “suburb thirty-minutes outside of Cleveland, Ohio”.

After Rovitz and I searched endlessly, we finally hit a ping back in late April, as an intern with the Mentor Civic Center accidentally gave us all-of-a-confirmation in saying that any announcement on the city getting a team should come from the league, and that the league has talked to Mentor Ice Arena.

Since then, it’d been absolute silence on the home-front. Scott Brand, the mastermind behind the expansion effort, has publicly teased that a city in Ohio was getting a team, but nothing more official that we could push the trigger on. Despite our numerous number of sources who came through with what now can be called reliable and accurate information.

This delay for Mentor went through troubles of finding local ownership, coming to a lease agreement, league-officials allegedly getting so aggravated they were ready to pull the plug before Brand mediated, awaiting a liquor license, and everything else imaginable.

Now, today, July 23, the league has FINALLY announced that Mentor is official.img_6892.jpg?w=720

The Mentor Ice Breakers will be Coached and General Managed by long-time Port Huron Prowlers big-name Joe Pace Sr., who has been with the team since 2017.

Joe Pace Jr., his son, will take over the same roles with the Prowlers for the coming season.

The Ice Breakers name is one of the more unique names in the Federal Hockey League history, and immediately sets the team apart. The team’s official colors are Columbia Blue, Navy Blue, White, and Silver, with a shark logo.

The team can be found on Facebook here and Twitter here.

This is the third team that the FHL has located in Ohio (Dayton, twice), and becomes the sixth-team for the season. With Mentor’s arrival, North Shore will officially lose its franchise.

Welcome aboard, at long last, Mentor! With Pace Sr. running the show, we anticipate a great product on and off the ice. We excitedly await more details on the team.

We anticipate the FHL schedule will be released in the next couple hours.

That's a solid logo and colors. From what I've seen also, it's not owned by Soskin, or at least majority owned by Soskin, so that's good that they have another set of local owners.

2 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

The Ice Breakers name is one of the more unique names in the Federal Hockey League history, and immediately sets the team apart.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOtxUYo5xcd6Iljv94UhK  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShCI5nLmKJzKYvMExbFfQ  Icebreakers-Logo.jpg  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdBnW8lVLADYSCS22orop  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFFf9l_aw1InMmm6shI4-  icebreakers2.jpg  07282ac384eb498366727bd8fabb4338.png  feb9807d6153d72b092cb6800c9fb45c.gif  1399300134IceBreakers_comp-03.jpg?139930  d2fcb403c39b01ae79521a78e05d7ebd_400x400  icebreakers_500.jpg?1  7386aa87-21d4-40eb-b1d1-c3efa1c99fa1.jpg  icebreakers_3x3_.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

The Ice Breakers name is one of the more unique names in the Federal Hockey League history, and immediately sets the team apart.

Or, if you read that another way...

Ice Breakers is more unique than Warriors, Barons, Aviators, Frenzy, Dashers, Federals, Demonz, Battalion, River Drivers, or Fighting Saints? :huh:

Ice Breakers join:
Ice Bandits, Ice Bats, Ice Bears, Ice Blizzard, Ice Caps, Ice Dice, Ice Diggers, Ice Dogs, Ice Flyers, Ice Gators, Ice Hawks, Ice Hockey Heroes, Ice Hogs, Icemen, Ice Muskies, Ice-o-topes, Ice Patrol, Ice Pilots, Ice Pirates, Ice Rays, Ice Raiders, Ice Sharks, Ice Stars, Ice Storm, Ice Warriors & Ice Wolves - to name a few.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ChompNation said:

Here's some details about it: Carolina gets 32! While Port Huron and Danville play just 27 at their rinks, Danville also plays two neutral-site games. That's...a little unfair.

https://busleaguehockey.com/2018/07/23/fhl-releases-2018-19-schedule-two-neutral-site-games-planned/

The current 6 teams are geographically well placed, but the question is can these teams maintain themselves and have a long term future.

16 minutes ago, ChompNation said:

The current 6 teams are geographically well placed, but the question is can these teams maintain themselves and have a long term future.

I feel like Carolina, PH, Danville are set and steady, and I think Elmira will be a big success (by FHL standards), but I worry about Watertown going forward, and kinda don't know what to think about Mentor. It seems like they have good people in place there, but with 90 days until the season starts, I just wonder if they're starting too late to potentially get a steady fan base and corporate support. That said, if they can play a  full season and then have an off-season where no teams fold, that would be a big step forward for them. On the surface, there doesn't appear to be a North Shore or Brewster or Steel City that will do 200 fans a night and be dead on arrival, and that's a major thing for the league and other teams. I can't imagine the people in Watertown were thrilled to get to see North Shore and then the FHL travel team 10+ times last year out of 28 home games or whatever.

23 minutes ago, TroopSupporter42069 said:

I feel like Carolina, PH, Danville are set and steady, and I think Elmira will be a big success (by FHL standards), but I worry about Watertown going forward, and kinda don't know what to think about Mentor. It seems like they have good people in place there, but with 90 days until the season starts, I just wonder if they're starting too late to potentially get a steady fan base and corporate support. That said, if they can play a  full season and then have an off-season where no teams fold, that would be a big step forward for them. On the surface, there doesn't appear to be a North Shore or Brewster or Steel City that will do 200 fans a night and be dead on arrival, and that's a major thing for the league and other teams. I can't imagine the people in Watertown were thrilled to get to see North Shore and then the FHL travel team 10+ times last year out of 28 home games or whatever.

With the late additions of Mentor and Elmira, I'm wondering if or when they would do thier expansion draft? I mean I surely wouldn't think they'd give the rest of the league an advantage.

40 minutes ago, Marksmen3519 said:

With the late additions of Mentor and Elmira, I'm wondering if or when they would do thier expansion draft? I mean I surely wouldn't think they'd give the rest of the league an advantage.

That's a good question, I'm not sure the league retains enough players year to year to be able to have an expansion draft, but I have seen on Facebook teams like Watertown and Carolina have announced player signings, but that's maybe been 2-3 from those two teams only. I imagine in the FHL it's a free-for-all to get whoever you can get. 

3 hours ago, TroopSupporter42069 said:

...if they can play a  full season and then have an off-season where no teams fold, that would be a big step forward for them.

As much as I don’t like the unequal home-away splits for each team, this is honestly the truth of where they’re at. I recently checked their standings for every season on Hockey DB, and the FHL has never finished a year where every team played the same number of games, and has a had a mid-season fold in almost every one of them. If they can just get everybody’s GP = 58 in April, that’s progress, even if W-S gets extra home games to pay the bills.

15 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

As much as I don’t like the unequal home-away splits for each team, this is honestly the truth of where they’re at. I recently checked their standings for every season on Hockey DB, and the FHL has never finished a year where every team played the same number of games, and has a had a mid-season fold in almost every one of them. If they can just get everybody’s GP = 58 in April, that’s progress, even if W-S gets extra home games to pay the bills.

Save for the two seasons when they only had four teams, they've always had one team every year who did like 200 fans. It's just baffling that in a league where you reportedly need 750+ fans a night (may be a little more depending on lease and other things), that they have been so bad at vetting potential owners and teams that they have never been able to consistently find 6-8 teams who can draw that number. It shouldn't be hard, and yet, here we are with this dance again. Now, it seems like these two teams are better than most teams they've brought in in the past, but we'll see.

NOT FHL EXPANSION :

https://busleaguehockey.com/2018/08/08/ihl-expands-to-port-huron/

IHL Expands to Port Huron

The non-stop news wheel of the Interstate Hockey League keeps turning today. The league that was planning on starting at four teams for their first season just one month ago, has now added its third expansion team. Commissioner Drake MacKenzie officially announced to BLH that the league has secured a team in Port Huron, Michigan aptly named the Port Huron Grizzlies. The Grizzlies team is owned by Jim Feher, a hockey coach in the Port Huron area. “I was approached by a hockey player that I coached, and was asked to take a look at [the IHL]. It looks like something that could be great for the communities, and for a lot of kids that don’t have the opportunity to go out-of-town to play good hockey, somewhere that they would enjoy and have a lot of fun,” said Feher “We’re looking forward to this first season, to get it off the ground, and for many years to come.” Feher will be joined in the team’s inaugural season by General Manager Eric Beauchamp, who is heavily involved in minor hockey in Port Huron. Commisioner MacKenzie expressed great excitement in bringing aboard a legendary hockey community to his league. “We’re proud to have a 7th member in our league, and are really excited to have such a great Hockey market on board,” said MacKenzie “Of course, reigniting the old Flint-Saginaw-Port Huron rivalry is going to be great for this league.” Interest in putting a team in Port Huron was first expressed by Scotty Gray, a local player who reached out to MacKenzie to learn more information. This is the seventh-team in the league, and the second placed in a city with a higher-level hockey team, next to Vehicle City. What makes this so interesting, is that this will be the first team in the league to directly compete with a previously-placed team in an arena. The Grizzlies will play many games out of McMorran Arena in Port Huron, the home of the Federal Hockey League’s Port Huron Prowlers, with conflicting dates to be played at Glacier Pointe ice arena. Having a team right in the same arena as a higher-level professional hockey team immediately opens up the idea that the IHL could quickly become a viable feeder-league for the FHL. This is strictly speculation, but with inquiries being constantly raised by sources in the FHL regarding the semi-pro league, it doesn’t seem implausible. We at BLH welcome the Grizzlies- who will have their true logo created by the geniuses at Dangle Sauce – and congratulate the team and league for coming to an agreement going forward!