Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

If this team is named anything other than the DJs, it's a travesty.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Isn’t that word hollered by virtually every team?

This guy is the virtuoso of "Wheel!"

59 minutes ago, Harlan said:

If this team is named anything other than the DJs, it's a travesty.

Would that be the "Deere Johns"? :unsure:

Here's some of my picks:

• IceHawks
  • RiverHawks
  • Cyclones
  • Phantoms
  • Eagles
  • Canvasbacks (a type of duck)
  • Twisters
  • Steam
  • Captains (Riverboat captains?)
  • Coyotes
  • Burn (just kidding!)

I'm not a fan of "Ice" nicknames. Ironic/Hypocritical when you consider I'm an Ice Bears fan...but even then I wasn't thrilled with the name when it came out. Still, I got used to it. But to me, "Ice" anything just seems to be too easy of a go-to when coming up with a nickname anymore. There are exceptions (Evansville Icemen and Indianapolis Ice for example) and since it's ice hockey, it fits, but still, just seems like an easy out for trademarking a nickname at times.

That being said...IceHawks has a good ring to it. 

Along the same lines, "RIver" might be an easy out for trademarking a "unique" nickname as well, but Riverhawks has already been used and may not be available if McBob has it trademarked.That, to me is the best compromise of recognizing local history and local features/geography.

4 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Would that be the "Deere Johns"? :unsure:

Someone, obviously, is not ready to ride the train.

2 hours ago, Speedracer said:

Here's some of my picks:

• IceHawks
  • RiverHawks
  • Cyclones
  • Phantoms
  • Eagles
  • Canvasbacks (a type of duck)
  • Twisters
  • Steam
  • Captains (Riverboat captains?)
  • Coyotes
  • Burn (just kidding!)

I'm not a fan of "Ice" nicknames. Ironic/Hypocritical when you consider I'm an Ice Bears fan...but even then I wasn't thrilled with the name when it came out. Still, I got used to it. But to me, "Ice" anything just seems to be too easy of a go-to when coming up with a nickname anymore. There are exceptions (Evansville Icemen and Indianapolis Ice for example) and since it's ice hockey, it fits, but still, just seems like an easy out for trademarking a nickname at times.

That being said...IceHawks has a good ring to it. 

Along the same lines, "RIver" might be an easy out for trademarking a "unique" nickname as well, but Riverhawks has already been used and may not be available if McBob has it trademarked.That, to me is the best compromise of recognizing local history and local features/geography.

Don't forget the league bylaw requiring the word "ice" to be used in team names.

Quad City Ice DJs for the win.

Hook bills (type of duck)

Quakers 

12 hours ago, Harlan said:

Someone, obviously, is not ready to ride the train.

He used to play for the IceGators. Maybe he'll come out of retirement to play in QC in order to continue a franchise tradition.

5 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Looks like there's a petition to Save the Mallards name and logo for Quad City fans. Over 800 have signed toward their goal of 1,000.

Old news, Mac. I signed it weeks ago to show support for hockey fan friends up in QDC. But I don't expect this grass roots effort to change the ECHL's long-standing practice of brand hoarding. They have lawyers like any other big business.

May be old news, but it's a new SPHL team. And we want to support them any way we can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems the Common Snipe - Gallinago gallinago - uses the Quad Cities only as a migratory airway, not for nesting or breeding.  Let's hope that transitory nature wouldn't reflect on the new team in town.  :unsure:

In today's politically charged climate, I doubt Snipers would work. Go Snipers! is not something you want yelled in a large crowd. Precisely the reason our mascot was named MARKY and not Sniper.

I like "Quad City Slayers" since they play at the TaxSlayer Center. I envision a logo with a grim reaper holding a hockey stick instead of a sickle. A more kid friendly reaper could be the mascot. Lots of ways to market it.

• Like 1

With Davenport being the largest of the Quad Cities, how about the Couch Surfers?

Though, I still like the Wild Dogs.

wild_dog_classic_logo__from_arrow_tv_sho

42 minutes ago, MarksmenArtist said:

In today's politically charged climate, I doubt Snipers would work. Go Snipers! is not something you want yelled in a large crowd. Precisely the reason our mascot was named MARKY and not Sniper.

I like "Quad City Slayers" since they play at the TaxSlayer Center. I envision a logo with a grim reaper holding a hockey stick instead of a sickle. A more kid friendly reaper could be the mascot. Lots of ways to market it.

Yeah, like "Slayers" would be culturally acceptable while "Snipers" would not be.  deaddeal.gif

If that was the case, people in hockey wouldn't still call goal scorers snipers.  Probably wouldn't call a team that but it seems to still be acceptable.  :2thumbsup:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MarksmenArtist said:

Ummm.... MARKSMEN?

A "marksman" isn't necessarily a killer- just a good shooter.

From JMC's fave, Wiki: 

A marksman is a person who is skilled in precision shooting,[1] using accurate precision scoped projectile weapons (in modern days most commonly a designated marksman rifle or a sniper rifle) to shoot at high-value targets at longer-than-usual ranges.

In popular and historical usage, "sharpshooter" and "marksman" are considered synonyms.[2][3] Within the shooting sports and military usages today, however, sharpshooter and marksman refer to distinctly different levels of skill, which are never conflated. Specifically, in the US Army, "marksman" is a rating below "sharpshooter" and "expert".[1] Four levels of skill are generally recognized today in both military and civilian shooting circles: unqualified, marksman, sharpshooter, and expert. Marksmanship badges for the three qualified levels are commonly awarded to both civilian and military shooters who attain proficiency in shooting higher than "unqualified".

The main difference between military marksmen and snipers is that marksmen are usually considered an organic part of a fireteam of soldiers and are never expected to operate independently, whereas snipers usually work alone or in very small teams with independent mission objectives. Snipers are also often tasked with responsibilities other than delivering long-range fire — specifically, conducting reconnaissance and directing coordinates for artillery fire or air strikes. Within the military, marksmen are sometimes attached to an infantryfireteam or squad (where they are known as designated marksmen) where they support the squad by providing accurate long-range shots at valuable targets as needed, thus extending the effective tactical reach of the fireteam or squad.

Edited by PlannedObsolescence