Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Arkham36

New Quad City team

I'm posting here because I'm in Fayetteville and care what Marksmen fans think.

A new SPHL team was announced, in (looks like the LA Ice Gators are moving to) Quad Cities, IA/IL.  I know professional sports generally have a hard time matching there name to their actual geographical location, but come on, SOUTHERN Professional Hockey League?  Evansville and Peoria were already a bit of a stretch, TaxSlayer Stadium in Moline, IL is 2 hours past Peoria, that means 16+ hours on a bus for the Marksmen.  Is the Midwest really that short on hockey leagues?

4 minutes ago, Arkham36 said:

A new SPHL team was announced, in (looks like the LA Ice Gators are moving to) Quad Cities, IA/IL.  I know professional sports generally have a hard time matching there name to their actual geographical location, but come on, SOUTHERN Professional Hockey League?  Evansville and Peoria were already a bit of a stretch, TaxSlayer Stadium in Moline, IL is 2 hours past Peoria, that means 16+ hours on a bus for the Marksmen.  Is the Midwest really that short on hockey leagues?

:hmm: Quad City IceGators? 

It's called growth. The same thing happened to the former East Coast Hockey League.

I love the idea of growth it only makes the league better. Maybe its not the fact that the team is in the midwest but maybe it is now the name of the league.lol...........I agree its gonna be a stretch for a lot of teams to take that drive. I think there were better closer suited expansion arenas to look at but atleast Quad City gets to keep hockey :yikes:

Obviously, there are several more regional options we would love to have join our ranks. But, until suitable ownership, municipal and facility support come along in those cities (or another team decides it can no longer afford to operate in the ECHL), it looks like this league will have to expand wherever it can. 

13 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Like when a team in ALASKA joined the East Coast Hockey League!

HAHA...Yep....Alaska might be east of somewhere...lol

The way I understood the article,  the new Quadcity team will replace LAIce Gaters in  the league lineup.  it did not say LA was moving. 

1 hour ago, pitch01 said:

The way I understood the article,  the new Quadcity team will replace LAIce Gaters in  the league lineup.  it did not say LA was moving. 

I don't understand what distinction is being made here. The old Ice Gators franchise has become the new Quad City one. 

5 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Like when a team in ALASKA joined the East Coast Hockey League!

Right. It's just a name.

15 hours ago, Arkham36 said:

Is the Midwest really that short on hockey leagues?

This seems like a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it genuinely: yes. It's not like there are dozens of "real" leagues around the US. The Central Hockey League "folding" a few years ago created an environment that is challenging for many of their former franchises. Evansville and Quad City are both former CHL locations that struggled to support the ECHL cost structure. Brampton and Rapid City are both around the 3000 mark in attendance, so don't be surprised if they eventually can't field ECHL squads. They're geographically much further though making the SPHL an exceptionally unlikely destination.

The upside to the addition of teams outside the traditional footprint means it becomes much more viable for other franchises to join. It gives more flexibility for the SPHL to schedule closer opponents heavily (like they currently do with Evansville and Peoria).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ShaunS said:

I don't understand what distinction is being made here. The old Ice Gators franchise has become the new Quad City one. 

Right. It's just a name.

This seems like a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it genuinely: yes. It's not like there are dozens of "real" leagues around the US. The Central Hockey League "folding" a few years ago created an environment that is challenging for many of their former franchises. Evansville and Quad City are both former CHL locations that struggled to support the ECHL cost structure. Brampton and Rapid City are both around the 3000 mark in attendance, so don't be surprised if they eventually can't field ECHL squads. They're geographically much further though making the SPHL an exceptionally unlikely destination.

The upside to the addition of teams outside the traditional footprint means it becomes much more viable for other franchises to join. It gives more flexibility for the SPHL to schedule closer opponents heavily (like they currently do with Evansville and Peoria).

The distinction is that there are a new set of owners from Quad City area. If it were a LA Gators move, it would have been said that the LA team had been sold. That was not the case.

11 minutes ago, pitch01 said:

The distinction is that there are a new set of owners from Quad City area. If it were a LA Gators move, it would have been said that the LA team had been sold. That was not the case.

Feels like we're really splitting hairs over what a "majority transfer of ownership" is. ;)   The franchise is moving because ownership was transferred to another group. Individuals are welcome to file that however they wish. 

http://www.thesphl.com/view/thesphl/news/news_503721

17 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

:hmm: Quad City IceGators? 

Doesn't John Deere produce the popular farm implement named the Gator?  Seems perfectly normal based on that realization.

It isn't too bad on travel since when most teams travel that far, they tend to play 3-4 games in that area.  So yes it's a 16 hr bus ride but if we can get 3-4 games in between the three 'midwest' cities on one trip, then it's not as bad.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Arkham36 said:

This is an awful decision to bring this team in.  The travel is gonna be brutal.  

7 hours ago, ShaunS said:

Thanks for the info, I guess I didn't realize there was a hole there.  I used to live in Nebraska and Kansas and remember a lot of hockey choices, but I guess those are mostly college and Junior league teams.

6 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

It isn't too bad on travel since when most teams travel that far, they tend to play 3-4 games in that area.  So yes it's a 16 hr bus ride but if we can get 3-4 games in between the three 'midwest' cities on one trip, then it's not as bad.  

Good point, I didn't think about doing an extended road trip around the area, I guess we'll wait and see when the schedule is released.

• Like 1

Check out the distances involved here.

We've been here before. Quad City to Fayetteville is about the same distance as Fayetteville to Louisiana was. Back then, the Antz had Biloxi and Pensacola to roll into a road trip.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:28 AM, scline74 said:

HAHA...Yep....Alaska might be east of somewhere...lol

I hear Sarah Palin could see Russia from center ice of the Aces' former arena. :cool:

For what it's worth, the ECHL no longer refers to itself as the "East Coast Hockey League" but retained the "ECHL" letters for brand recognition/marketing.

Same thing with a lot of cable TV channels:

• MTV no longer means "Music Television"
  • TLC no longer means "The Learning Channel"
  • TNT/TBS no longer use "Turner" in their channel names (He's sold these channels)

While the SPHL still has "Southern Professional" in their name, they might as well do the same as ECHL and drop the spelled out name and just run with SPHL for marketing/branding retention. They could seek a new name, but that tends to be frowned upon if your name is recognized already by the general population. Unless you do stupid things...but I'm not going to use WHAtever 2 examples I have in mind.

On 5/25/2018 at 10:35 AM, JMC-STL said:

I hear Sarah Palin could see Russia from center ice of the Aces' former arena. :cool:

And for what THIS is worth, Palin never made that comment. The person who calls herself a comedian Tina Fey made it during an SNL skit and it's been incorrectly cited to the former Alaskan Governor ever since.

2 hours ago, Speedracer said:

... And for what THIS is worth, Palin never made that comment. The person who calls herself a comedian Tina Fey made it during an SNL skit and it's been incorrectly cited to the former Alaskan Governor ever since.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll file that away in my "Speedracer's Hot Button Topics" file for future use.  :sly: