Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Marksmen3519

Riverkings suspend operations

19 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Well then, that makes it official! lmao

3 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

You forgot to throw in a  :2thumbsup: in addition to the lmao

Greg is the sole owner of that combination of emoticons.  You should be receiving a cease & desist letter from his legal team any day now, Perfesser.  nono1.gif

Hate to see us lose hockey in this area. Have been a season ticket holder since they came to the Desoto Civic Center which is now the Landers Center. I don't believe coming to Mississippi had anything to do with the team suspending operations. The Landers Center is 10 minutes from the State line. Our owner is completely to blame for this. This is the second time the organization and fans have been thrown under the bus by the owner. You could almost see it coming regardless of the Memphis Hustle that is now playing there. It is my understanding that their support is worse than the Kings. We have had a  owner who has been completely missing in action. No additional financial support and no marketing or media to let the area know what is going on with the Riverkings. In the past we have had many problems in the front office, when the owner should have stepped up and resolved them. We had a good group this past year in the front. The only complaint I could mention is they were a young inexperienced group that were left to handle it by themselves. No experienced leadership to help. I hope a new owner that is willing to put forth a little effort will come up and rescue the team but I have my doubts. This area has already proved there is a hockey market here. I have been to games in the past with 5,000 to 6,000 in attendance. Another failure on the owners part is we have been in the SPHL for 7 or 8 yrs now I think. Our coach is the only one we ever had. We are consistently a .500 team by the end of the year and always barely get in the play offs. We are normally beat in the first round consistently. Should we have had a change in our coaching staff?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hate to see the Riverkings go, when I moved to Nashville from Wichita I would come a few times a season to see the Thunder, and enjoyed it so much I would sometimes just stop in for a non Thunder game if traveling or just for the hell of it.  Plus back in the CHL days, the Riverkings helped me have some hockey when the NHL was locked out or striking.  Your fans were always so good to me and whoever was with me.  Hope you all get this or a new team back very soon.  

Edited by Predarat
  • Like 2

Looks like it is time for all Kings fans to support the Ole Miss hockey team and make a few trips to the Ice House!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fitter said:

Looks like it is time for all Kings fans to support the Ole Miss hockey team and make a few trips to the Ice House!!

Men's D3 play can definitely offer some entertaining hockey action, especially mid-to-late season (December & January) as the players start to click with one another and league competition intensifies.  This on-line magazine feature article includes a profile of the Ole Miss head coach, Dan Armstrong, and his hockey program.  Good luck to the Rebels in 2018-19, and hopefully they can gain some attendance in Olive Branch from among the former RiverKings supporters.  :hockey:

3 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Men's D3 play can definitely offer some entertaining hockey action, especially mid-to-late season (December & January) as the players start to click with one another and league competition intensifies.  This on-line magazine feature article includes a profile of the Ole Miss head coach, Dan Armstrong, and his hockey program.  Good luck to the Rebels in 2018-19, and hopefully they can gain some attendance in Olive Branch from among the former RiverKings supporters.  :hockey:

This isn't NCAA Division III. It's club Division 3, which is basically a bunch of benders who went south so they could say they played "college hockey."

1 hour ago, Harlan said:

This isn't NCAA Division III. It's club Division 3, which is basically a bunch of benders who went south so they could say they played "college hockey."

Thanks for the clarification, if not for the editorial content.

13 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Thanks for the clarification, if not for the editorial content.

Even if you don't like it, you know it's an accurate assessment of the talent level.

24 minutes ago, Harlan said:

Even if you don't like it, you know it's an accurate assessment of the talent level.

"a bunch of benders" is not a talent assessment, but I get your point.

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement JMC-STL, when you have nothing, anything sounds pretty good.

1 hour ago, Louie said:

Thanks for the encouragement JMC-STL, when you have nothing, anything sounds pretty good.

My wife & I drove to Southaven on 3 separate occasions to watch the RiverKings play over the last 5 seasons.  On our last visit, we stayed two nights & really enjoyed a bed and breakfast in Hernando (Magnolia Grove).  So we've got two reasons to mourn your personal loss.

• Like 1