Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

RapidFire19

2018-19 Marksmen Player Signings\Trades\Pre-Season Roster

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – After a junior career that reads like a laundry list of some of hockey’s most prolific leagues, a hard-nosed, experienced, and talented Center comes to the Marksmen.

That player is former Pensacola Ice Flyer David Mazurek, who in his second year in professional hockey, finds himself in the orange and black in Fayetteville.

At 6’3, 193 lbs, Mazurek is noticeable on the ice, and for more than just his size, as Mazurek has shown off in high-profile leagues that he can be a scorer.

Drafted #31 overall by the Barrie Colts in the 2008 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection Draft, Mazurek would spend a long-part of his junior career around the province.

Starting in the ’08-09 season, he started in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League, where he would spend two seasons between the Brantford Eagles (08-09) and Stoney Creek Warriors (’10-11), amassing 13 points (9G+4A) in 29 games.

Between these two teams, he also got his chance to play with the big club that drafted him, Barrie, in three games of the 2008 season, and for the entirety of the ’09-10 season, where in 44 games he recorded 9 points (3G+6A). In the 2011 season, the OHL’s Kingston Frontenacs would pick up Mazurek’s rights, and he would play the entire season, with 18 points (7G+11A) in 58 games.

He would finish off his Junior Career in the ’12-13 season with the British Columbia Hockey League’s Victoria Grizzlies, where he had the best season of his career with 34 points (13G+21A) in 48 games.

After this, he would go on to play for the University of Prince Edward Island (USports) for two seasons, after a year away from hockey, starting in the ’14-15 season, with 7 points (1G+6A) in 51 games.

Looking to continue his hockey career however he could, Mazurek would play two years in the New England Senior Hockey League, where he was a champion in the ’16-17 season, and awarded with the title of Most Assists in the ’17-18 season.

From there, he was picked up by the SPHL’s Pensacola Ice Flyers, where he came up with 15 points (6G+9A) in 27 games with the team.

Everything that has happened, lead to him being a highly-touted free agent this off-season, and after a long decision-making process, Mazurek chose the Marksmen.

“Moving forward, I am thrilled to be back once again in the SPHL. I learned what it takes to be a professional during last season in Pensacola. However, I now find myself in a Marksmen jersey, which I’m very excited about. After speaking with Coach Kallechy on multiple occasions during the summer months, I knew right away that Fayetteville was the right spot for me. Not only did Jesse sell me on the team and organization, but also the fact that we want to build the winning culture in Fayetteville – which is something I want to be part of,” said Mazurek “Looking ahead, I can not wait until October rolls around and we can begin with Training Camp. I’m excited for the opportunity that presents itself in Fayetteville.”

For Coach Kallechy, having Mazurek join a squad of players who were in his shoes last year is a major asset.

“We are ecstatic to get David signed for the 2018-2019 season. He is a player who was heavily recruited throughout the league, and we couldn’t be happier that he chose to come play in Fayetteville,” said Kallechy “He is a big body who skates extremely well. He is a player who understands what competing every night means, and he plays on the edge every time he steps onto the ice. I was so impressed with him each time we spoke on the phone, and I have no doubt that he will be a great leader for all of our young incoming players. We can’t wait to see what David will accomplish this season in a Marksmen jersey.”

With 56 days remaining until the SPHL season begins, the anticipation is starting to reach a fever pitch, especially as the Marksmen Camp roster starts to finalize.

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – Carl Greco had a busy first few months of 2018. Finishing off his final season as a Junior at Westfield State University on February 24, Greco found himself a few weeks later suiting up for his first ever professional hockey game with Fayetteville against the Evansville Thunderbolts on March 10, where he’d come up with an assist for his first professional point.

He would go on to finish out the final nine games of the Marksmen, accumulating five points (1G+4A) in the two handfuls of games.

After being on the protected list early in the off-season, today the club officially announces that the young veteran heads into his first full professional season in the orange and black.

Greco is a 6’0, 170lb defenseman from Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada who spent three seasons with the Westfield State Owls (NCAA DIII), where he accumulated 54 points (9G+45A) in 78 games – high offensive numbers for a defensemen.

His highest offensive season, however, came in his final junior season with the OJHL’s Hamilton Red Wings, where he scored 27 points (2G+25A) in 52 games.

To add on to his high-offensive numbers, Greco has proven to be a smart, position-ready skater, accumulating less than 40 PIMs/season in every year of his hockey career.

Head Coach Jesse Kallechy spoke highly of Greco’s ability as an all-around skater, especially in how he envisions his defense to supply the offense.

“Carl is a player who will bring a lot of skill and an offensive component to our defensive unit. He is an excellent puck-mover, which he was able to demonstrate at the end of last season during his short time in Fayetteville,” said Kallechy “We will highly encourage our defenseman to be a part of the offense this season, and we believe that Carl fits that mold perfectly. We can’t wait to see how his all-around game will develop from his first full season of pro hockey.”

For Greco, the atmosphere of the team was something that appealed him into his return so heavily.

“I’m really looking forward to getting down to Fayetteville, and playing my first full year of pro hockey. After conversations throughout the summer with Coach Kallechy it seems he is just as eager to bring a winning mindset to Fayetteville as I am, Being able to play several games after the college season last year I was made aware of the winning mentality that surrounds Fayetteville and the fans, and I’m looking forward to trying to bring a championship to the community.”

The Fayetteville Marksmen are excited to welcome back Carl Greco for the 2018-19 season, and look forward to him being the bedrock of what promises to be an exciting season of hockey in Cape Fear. The 2018-19 Marksmen Home Opener is October 19th against the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW!

• Like 1

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – Finding the best talent sometimes means searching beyond the borders of familiarity. In this case for Coach Kallechy, it meant going beyond the borders of North America, as he welcomes aboard French Professional Hockey player, Felix Boucher.

Boucher, 22, has never played a single minute in the United States, but is of North American descent, being born in Mercier, Quebec, Canada. He spent most of his hockey career around the high-level hockey in scene in Quebec, before graduating to France2 and France3 for his professional career.

A 6’3, 198 pound left-handed defensemen, Boucher started off in the Quebec Midget AAA Hockey League with the Châteauguay Grenadiers in 2011, where he put up 9 points (2G+7A) in 43 games, impressing scouts in the premier Jr. A hockey league of Quebec, the QMJHL. Starting at just 16 years old, Boucher would spend two seasons with the Victoriaville Tigres, where he accumulated 11 points (2G+9A) in 102 games. Following his two years in the Q, he would find his way into the QJAAAHL, or Quebec Junior Hockey League, where he’d finish his junior hockey career with the Lachine Maroons (2014) and the Sainte-Agathe Montagnards (2015-16), finding his way to an astounding 45 points (9G+36A) in just 44 games played.

With a fantastic finish to his junior hockey career, the well-respected Fédération Française de Hockey sur Glace (En: French Ice Hockey Federation, or simply FFHG) would come calling to Boucher, in the form of the league’s second division (France2). He started his professional hockey career with the Hockey Clermont Communaute Auvergne, where he finished with 9 points (4G+5A) in 24 games, before moving down the next season to France3’s Toulouse-Blagnac HC Les Belougas, putting up an impressive point-per-game with 18 points (5G+13A) in 18 games.

From the long journey between high-level Canadian Junior leagues, to a respected French Professional league, Boucher now finds himself donning the Orange and Black as a Marksmen.

Head Coach Jesse Kallechy spoke highly of the international player, and what he can bring to the offensive-minded defense.

“We are ecstatic to get Felix signed for the 2018-2019 season. He is a big body who skates extremely well, and will bring a lot of skill and an offensive component to our defensive unit,” said Kallechy “We will highly encourage our defensemen to be a part of the offense this season, and we believe that Carl fits that mold perfectly.  We can’t wait to see what Felix will accomplish this season in a Marksmen jersey.”

With 49 days remaining until the SPHL season begins, the anticipation is starting to reach a fever pitch, especially as the Marksmen Camp roster starts to finalize.

The Fayetteville Marksmen are excited to welcome Felix Boucher to his new home for the 2018-19 season, and look forward to him being the bedrock of what promises to be an exciting season of hockey in the Cape Fear. The 2018-19 Marksmen Home Opener is October 19th against the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW!

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – Playing at a high-level is no stranger to Anthony Petrella.

The 22-year-old Leftie from Hilton, New York found his path to the NCAA in what is considered the nontraditional way – Prep (High School) Hockey.

However, it wasn’t just suiting up for prep and seeing what happened. Petrella moved around the elite states of hockey – Midget in Michigan with the highly-touted Belle Tire U16/U18, and finally to the state where High School Hockey is bigger than pro, Minnesota.

During his high school career at what is considered – no joke – “The Hogwarts of Hockey” at Shattuck-Saint Mary’s, a school regarded for sending many alumni to the NHL and Olympics, Petrella set the ice on fire with 126 points (63G+63A) in 105 games played.

This dynamite showcase of games helped land Petrella at traditional NCAA D1 Hockey power Massachusetts (UMass Amherst), where the 5’9 forward would find 10 points (5G+5A) in 77 games. He was also named to the Hockey East All-Academic in 2016-17.

His senior year, Petrella decided to transfer down to Endicott College (NCAA D3), in keeping his love for the game strong and based on his brother’s high-recommendation for the school. The transition proved to be a beneficial one, as he would accumulate 22 points (8G+14A) in 25 games played.

The end of his collegiate career would blossom into now the start of his professional one, as he would receive a call that would accomplish a childhood dream.

“It’s always been a dream of mine to play pro hockey and I’m thankful to get another shot at playing the game I love. I picked the Marksmen because Coach Jesse called me this summer when he got the job, and seemed confident in his ability to put together a good team,” said Petrella “He seemed to be looking for a player of my style and we seemed to have similar goals. I feel I can bring a fast paced, two way, high intensity game to the team.”

For Coach Kallechy, it was Petrella’s determination and skill that drew him to the recent graduate.

“Anthony is a player who will provide a lot of skill and effort to our lineup. His history of playing at high levels shows the kind of potential that he can bring to a team looking for players ready to step up,” said Kallechy “Talking with Anthony, I knew that his skill set matched up with what I’m looking to build. I look forward to seeing him in Training Camp.”

With 44 days remaining until the SPHL season begins, the anticipation is starting to reach a fever pitch, especially as the Marksmen Camp roster starts to finalize, and the team’s exhibition against Macon has been set for October 12.

The Fayetteville Marksmen are excited to welcome Anthony Petrella to his new home for the 2018-19 season, and look forward to him being the bedrock of what promises to be an exciting season of hockey in the Cape Fear. The 2018-19 Marksmen Home Opener is October 19th against the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW!

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – Derek Makimaa has dreamed of playing professional hockey since he fell in love with the sport at three-years-old. With his signing to a spot on the Training Camp roster, Makimaa is closer than he could’ve imagined.

The 6’2, 201 pound 24-year-old forward from Swartz Creek, Michigan spent his collegiate career at Salem State University, where he found his way to 71 points (36G+35A) in 98 games played while majoring in Sports Movement Science – Pre-Physical Therapy.

While at Salem State, Makimaa would play on the same ice as future Marksmen teammates Michael Casale (Forward) and Jason Pucciarelli (Goaltender).

“Playing alongside collegiate teammates makes it that much easier to be excited. Casale and I played a lot together in college, we compliment each other’s game very well,” said Makimaa “When Pucciarelli is in net, you play with more confidence knowing you have such a great goaltender to back you up. Both are great leaders on and off the ice.”

Previous to his NCAA career, Makimaa spent two years in the juniors, first with the Atlanta Jr. Knights (EJHL) and Bay State Breakers (USPHL Elite), where he scored 61 points (34G+27A) in 73 games.

Makimaa knew from the very first phone call that Fayetteville was the team for him.

“It’s truly a privilege and honor to be able to play at the professional level…and I’m extremely excited to be a Marksmen. Coach Kallechy called me and made me feel like family right away, the ability to connect with your players is vital,” said Makimaa “He was very confident in the squad he has put together and I’m hoping to be a big asset to the team in any way that I can.”

In terms of play-style, Makimaa’s self-described traits may sound familiar, as they’re exactly what Head Coach Jesse Kallechy has been preaching in all his signings.

“You’re going to get a blue collar, hard working, speedy forward with the ability to put the puck in the back of the net,” said Makimaa “I want to be able to help my team in any way possible to bring wins to Fayetteville and ultimately a championship.”

Head Coach Kallechy saw Makimaa as a player that had a high-ceiling and could be an immediate impact.

“Derek is a player I expect to see a lot of hustle out of. He was a consistent, solid player at Salem, and those I’ve talked to have spoken highly of him,” said Kallechy “Getting the chance to have him with a college teammate gives me the chance to see how he can play with good chemistry. I look forward to seeing him play in person.”

With 42 days remaining until the SPHL season begins, the anticipation is starting to reach a fever pitch, especially as the Marksmen Camp roster starts to finalize, and the team’s exhibition against Macon has been set for October 12.

• Like 1

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – With just under a month remaining until Marksmen Training Camp, we’re starting to see exactly what kind of roster will be participating in the camp, with a lot of veteran experience or talented newcomers.

Tim Kielich, a left-handed forward hailing from East Aurora, New York fits into the latter category, after a three-year stint at SUNY-Brockport (NCAA DIII). Kielich, 6’0 and 185 pounds, found the puck plenty during his days as a Golden Eagle, averaging nearly a point-per game with 76 points (21G+55A) in 77 games played.

Prior to his college days, Kielich like many new-Marksmen, spent his junior hockey career in the OHJL’s Buffalo Jr. Sabres organization. During his four-years in Western New York, Kielich had no problem finding points, as he racked up 133 (56G+77A) in 235 games played. During those four years, he scored under thirty points in just one season.

As well with the OHJL connection, Kielich shares the commonality of having a couple ECHL games under his belt before coming to the Marksmen Camp, as kept inside The Empire State in heading to the Adirondack Thunder for two games after his college season.

Head Coach Jesse Kallechy expressed great interest in seeing what Kielich can bring to the roster.

“Tim is a player who showed a great scoring ability during both his college and junior days. Having a close amount of goals to assists shows that he has the vision and ability to make the shot or pass depending on the situation,” said Kallechy “I’m excited to see his abilities in our camp.”

With 38 days remaining until the SPHL season begins, the anticipation is starting to reach a fever pitch, especially as the Marksmen Camp roster starts to finalize, and the team’s exhibition against Macon has been set for October 12.

The Fayetteville Marksmen are excited to welcome Tim Kielich to his new home for the 2018-19 season, and look forward to him being the bedrock of what promises to be an exciting season of hockey in the Cape Fear. The 2018-19 Marksmen Home Opener is October 19th against the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW!

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – Last hockey season undoubtedly had to be one of the wildest of Paul Fregeau’s young career.

The 25-year-old forward from Sylmar, California finished his NCAA DIII career at SUNY-Cortland, and proceeded to find his way to the Federal Hockey League’s Watertown Wolves for one game, before he was signed by the SPHL’s Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs. He played in four games for the Dawgs, finding an assist, before being put on waivers.

After clearing waivers, Fregeau returned to his collegiate-state of New York to rejoin the FHL’s Wolves, helping lead the franchise to the Commissioner’s Cup, the playoff-championship, where they overcame the Port Huron Prowlers. Fregeau finished his 2017-18 season with a total of seven goals (five at Cortland, two at Watertown) and 13 assists (three at Cortland, nine for Watertown, one for Roanoke.

Prior to his professional hockey career, Fregeau was somewhat of a Junior Hockey journeyman, jumping from the now-defunct Empire Junior Hockey League (Tier III) all the way to the pinnacle of junior hockey in the USHL (Tier I), playing with the Bridgewater Bandits (EmJHL), Boston Bandits (EmJHL/EJHL), Lone Star Brahmas (NAHL) and Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL).

Following his 2013-14 season in the NAHL/USHL, Fregeau would start his collegiate career at SUNY-Plattsburgh, playing in just 14 games in two season, with 5 points (3G+2A). He would then head to SUNY-Cortland, where he would finish his NCAA career with 20 points (11G+9A) in 45 games.

Head Coach Jesse Kallechy spoke of the abilities of Fregeau heading into the Marksmen Camp.

“Paul is a player who has played at a high-level in his career, and has been able to adapt his game around it,” said Kallechy “With a stint in our league, he’ll come in with the experience of this level of play, and it’s always good to bring aboard a young player with pro experience into camp.”

With 36 days remaining until the SPHL season begins, the anticipation is starting to reach a fever pitch, especially as the Marksmen Camp roster starts to finalize, and the team’s exhibition against Macon has been set for October 12.

The Fayetteville Marksmen are excited to welcome Paul Fregeau to his new home for the 2018-19 season, and look forward to him being the bedrock of what promises to be an exciting season of hockey in the Cape Fear. The 2018-19 Marksmen Home Opener is October 19th against the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW!

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – Bryce Martin has worn many different jerseys over the last three years – five in fact, including joining an entirely new Junior League to start this season.

Now, the 21-year-old righty from Fort Erie, Ontario will get his first chance in professional hockey, as he’ll suit up in the Orange and Black for the Marksmen Training Camp.

Standing at 5’9, 185 pounds, Martin isn’t your traditional defenseman, in size or stature. However, whatever his physical traits may lack, his scoring ability more than makes up for – something not too often associated with defensemen. In his three stints in the GOJHL with the Fort Erie Meteors, Martin had 87 points (22G+65A) in 127 games, and in his three different OJHL team stints, he racked up 40 points (9G+31A) in 64 games.

This isn’t surprising as a trait for Martin, knowing that the defensemen Head Coach Jesse Kallechy has brought into camp all understand the two-way ability as an offensive Defensemen.

“Optimizing the scoring usage of all five skaters on the ice at any time is key, and for me the offense starts at the blue line,” said Kallechy “I am looking forward to seeing how Bryce can transition his scoring ability into our Camp roster.”

For Martin, it was a culmination of ability and familiarity that made Fayetteville such an attractive choice to start his professional career.

“To come into professional hockey right out of juniors is a big jump, so I wanted to make sure I’d be attending a camp for a team, as well as a city, that would suit me well. Having a friend that had played in Fayetteville in recent years, and getting some information about the organization and city from him, made me jump at the opportunity when I was asked to be apart of the Marksmen,” said Martin “My first pro training camp means a lot to me, the first couple days will be a bit of an adjustment and getting used to what pro hockey is all about. But more than anything I’m excited to get started and show everyone what I can do.”

Martin believes that he can contribute in more ways to the defense and five-man unit than just with his scoring touch.

“Over the course of my junior career, my style of play evolved from more of an offensive defenseman, to a two-way defenseman. As I got older and later in my junior career I really started to take pride in blocking shots and being a strong penalty killer, as well as jumping in the play as much as possible to help create plays and contribute offensively.”

With 31 days remaining until the SPHL season begins, the anticipation is starting to reach a fever pitch, especially as the Marksmen Camp roster starts to finalize, and the team’s exhibition against Macon and Roanoke have been set for October 12 and 13, respectively.

The Fayetteville Marksmen are excited to welcome Bryce Martin to his new home for the 2018-19 season, and look forward to him being the bedrock of what promises to be an exciting season of hockey in the Cape Fear. The 2018-19 Marksmen Home Opener is October 19th against the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs, and Opening Night tickets are on sale NOW!

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – As a former goaltender, Head Coach Jesse Kallechy understands the importance of a strong, deep goaltending core.

After bringing aboard two NCAA D3 goalies with call-ups to the ECHL, the Marksmen now welcome aboard American International College (NCAA D1) goalie Alex Murray as the final backstop for Training Camp.

Standing at 6’0 and 194 pounds, the left-hander from Burlington, Ontario spent most of his pre-Junior and Junior career in his hometown first with the Burlington Eagles Midget teams, and then with the Burlington Cougars (OJHL). After his time in Midgets, Murray was selected in the 14th round (#262 Overall) by the Ontario Hockey League’s London Knights, and thus began his time in the OJHL.

After three seasons with the Burlington Cougars, with a 3.5 GAA and .906 save percentage in 53 games, Murray found his way to the British Columbia Hockey League’s Prince George Spruce Kings, where he put up the best numbers of his career. A 2.44 GAA with a .917 SV% during his 38 regular season games, leading to a post-season with a 2.57 GAA and .912 SV% in six games.

This Junior career lead to Murray committing to AIC, in the Atlantic Hockey Association of the NCAA, where he would spend his next four years. During his time as a Yellow Jacket in Springfield, Massachusetts, Murray put up a 3.99 GAA with an .884 SV% in 84 games.

Now, as an alumni of AIC, the 25-year-old goaltender joins the Fayetteville Marksmen Training Camp roster, looking to continue his fight and journey to compete at the highest level.

“I’m feeling pretty excited, it’s always been a goal of mine to play professional hockey, and it’s an unbelievable opportunity that I’m looking forward too. The Marksmen was an easy decision. I talked to Coach Kallechy, and he was very enthusiastic of the direction of the team. Him being a goalie as well, I just felt like it was going to be a good fit from the beginning,” said Murray “For me, I believe I can bring my work ethic. I am a competitor, and always try to help my teammates improve, as well as push myself. I think my attitude is another aspect I can bring, I pride myself on being a good teammate, and doing anything I can to help this team win.”

Coach Kallechy shared his enthusiasm in bringing aboard Murray.

“Alex is an experienced, agile goaltender who has been shown to exhibit a high compete level. Any time we can bring aboard a D1 goaltender to Camp, it’s a crucial addition,” said Kallechy “He comes highly recommended, and I’m excited to see just what he can do when he’s down here.”

The Fayetteville Marksmen are excited to welcome Alex Murray to his new home for the 2018-19 season, and look forward to him being the bedrock of what promises to be an exciting season of hockey in the Cape Fear. The 2018-19 Marksmen Home Opener is October 19th against the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs, and Opening Night tickets are on sale NOW!