Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

The Fighting CPAs? New hockey franchise will have new name

The Fighting CPAs? New hockey franchise will have new name

By Don Doxsie - Quad-City Times

The next few weeks are going to be an interesting time for the newest franchise in the Southern Professional Hockey League.

The owners of the new Quad-Cities entry in the league are going to be setting up new offices, establishing a website, hiring a general manager, assembling the rest of their staff, preparing for an expansion draft.

And perhaps most significantly, conducting a contest to determine the name of the new team.

It’s the one area in which they could conceivably encounter some backlash from the hockey-loving segment of the local population because they’re not going to name this team the Mallards.

They can’t. As much as people have come to embrace that name over the past 23 years, the new team is barred from using it by the ECHL, which claims to own the rights to it.

Someone suggested the name Frozen Rubber Duckies, but they were kidding. I think.

If anyone still liked Marksmen, they’re probably out of luck because the SPHL already has a Marksmen. That’s the name of the team in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

They could play off the current name of the arena and call them the Quad-City TaxSlayers. Or maybe the Fighting CPAs.

The defining geographical feature of the area is the Mississippi River. But we already have the River Bandits and the SPHL already has the Peoria Rivermen. Another team, the Mississippi RiverKings, just suspended operations on Thursday.

Maybe the Channel Cats, a reference to the sort of fish that swim past the arena in the nearby Sylvan Slough?

Read more at: http://qctimes.com/sports/columnists/doxsie/the-fighting-cpas-new-hockey-franchise-will-have-new-name/article_64a68cf7-58cc-519b-94c7-bee92174fa75.html

Maybe the Channel Cats, a reference to the sort of fish that swim past the arena in the nearby Sylvan Slough?

Take that one up with whomever owns the former Huntsville CHL team name.

And perhaps most significantly, conducting a contest to determine the name of the new team.

The only "contest" is gonna be who in the front office can keep a straight face the longest when they announce the "winning" team name.

15 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

The only "contest" is gonna be who in the front office can keep a straight face the longest when they announce the "winning" team name.

Not just CHL but SEHL. The previous Huntsville team was in the 4-team SEHL (and monopolized the league, I might say...) and ... fun fact ... the Birmingham Bulls of Pelham were set to be the new team along with Columbus in that league until...

The Columbus folks weren't comfortable with thew Channel Cats owner running the show, so they did a bit of a coupe, along with Knoxville, Fayetteville, and some of the WHA-2 franchises, then got new owners in to the VBCC and called them the Havoc.

And that's how the SPHL was born...

1 hour ago, Speedracer said:

Not just CHL but SEHL ...

I figgered whomever owned the CHL team had secured the rights to the team name after te SEHL team ceased operations.  But I'm happy this little diversion gave you a chance to wax nostalgic, Speed.  :popcorn:

On 5/28/2018 at 10:16 PM, JMC-STL said:

17 hours ago, Speedracer said:

Not just CHL but SEHL. The previous Huntsville team was in the 4-team SEHL (and monopolized the league, I might say...) and ... fun fact ... the Birmingham Bulls of Pelham were set to be the new team along with Columbus in that league until...

The Columbus folks weren't comfortable with thew Channel Cats owner running the show, so they did a bit of a coupe, along with Knoxville, Fayetteville, and some of the WHA-2 franchises, then got new owners in to the VBCC and called them the Havoc.

And that's how the SPHL was born...

15 hours ago, Speedracer said:

It was the same owner.

Having been a team doc since 1997, starting with the Channel Cats, then the Tornado, then the Channel Cats again, and now the Havoc, let me shed some light on this. The CHL CC's folded and didn't have a team in 2001 (I guess fortunately for me since I was called up by the Air Force Reserves after 9/11 and was not able to be in Huntsville that season). John Cherney bought the franchise and renamed it the Tornado for the 2002-3 season. That name didn't stick well with Huntsville/Madison County residents as the area had (and has) been hit hard with tornadoes, so the CC name was revived for the 2003-4 season. When Keith Jeffries bought the franchise from Mr Cherney, the CC name was not allowed to continue. In fact, even banners of CC championships and retired numbers of CC players were removed from the VBC. I don't know all the politics of "The Columbus folks weren't comfortable with thew Channel Cats owner running the show. so they did a bit of a coupe, along with Knoxville, Fayetteville, and some of the WHA-2 franchises..." so I won't comment on that statement. Doc

• Thanks 1

My understanding was that Jeffries took up a new franchise and Cherney was left holding the bag after the SEHL didn't prosper as hoped after their one season.

If I am inaccurate, then my bad. Just how I seemed to remember things transpiring because as far as I knew, the SEHL was going to have a year 2 with Knoxville, Fayetteville, Birmingham, and Huntsville, when the SPHL just popped up with Knox/Fay and Huntsville getting a new name/owner, and the Bulls backed out because the WHA-2 group was involved and the Pelham Civic Center were still stinging from the Alabama Slammers debacle. My understanding was that Cherney was essentially shut out of the process and didn't know what'd happened until the new league was announced.