Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

PlayaHtr

Protected List Thoughts

http://railyarddawgs.pointstreaksites.com/view/roanokerailyarddawgs/news-1147/news_503904

Left unprotected are Nick Schneider (Retired??) David Gandara, Chris Porter, Patrick Harrison, Dumontier, Daniel Vernace, Taylor Love, John Gustafsson, and Matt Zenzola.

My thoughts this actually opens a vet spot for the Dawgs, biggest loss besides Schneider IMO is Daniel Varnace.

Just now, Marksmen3519 said:

Porter = retired

Thanks that clarifies that one.

I had forgotten about Gustaffson and Love. I wonder if they decided to stop playing or something?

Even though Rowland did not play a lot last year but I really liked what I saw from him. I think he could possibly be the new Schneider. He's aggressive and isn't afraid to get in the middle of things and chirp a bit.

2 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Porter = retired

So that big deadline trade Mueller/Bauer for Porter was just.....awesome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sportsdad said:

So that big deadline trade Mueller/Bauer for Porter was just.....awesome!

Yes......but neither were protected for FAY......so you can get both back

4 minutes ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Yes......but neither were protected for FAY......so you can get both back

No thanks. Neither was bad, but I don't think they fit what Bremner was wanting to do with this team. I actually liked Bauer so if they could work it out... LOL

14 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

No thanks. Neither was bad, but I don't think they fit what Bremner was wanting to do with this team. I actually liked Bauer so if they could work it out... LOL

And how did Porter " fit what Bremner was wanting to do with this team."? Bauer is a D, he was replaced by a couple of temporary guys. Mueller went to a crap team with a fake temporary coach and put up a goal, 2 assists and 16 pims while Porter went to a team on the rise, played 16 games put up 1 goal and 3 assists with 11 pims. Don't forget that both Bauer and Mueller were great locker room guys and Mueller was a fan favorite. So tell me how Porter fit what Bremner blah, blah blah.

6 minutes ago, sportsdad said:

And how did Porter " fit what Bremner was wanting to do with this team."? Bauer is a D, he was replaced by a couple of temporary guys. Mueller went to a crap team with a fake temporary coach and put up a goal, 2 assists and 16 pims while Porter went to a team on the rise, played 16 games put up 1 goal and 3 assists with 11 pims. Don't forget that both Bauer and Mueller were great locker room guys and Mueller was a fan favorite. So tell me how Porter fit what Bremner blah, blah blah.

Porter doesn't fit either and I never said he did, as to why he wasn't protected. I'm going to miss Vernace the most of the unprotected players. I just said I didn't think either Mueller and Bauer didn't fit, if Bremner thought they did they wouldn't have traded them away IMO.

6 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

Porter doesn't fit either and I never said he did, as to why he wasn't protected. I'm going to miss Vernace the most of the unprotected players. I just said I didn't think either Mueller and Bauer didn't fit, if Bremner thought they did they wouldn't have traded them away IMO.

I'm confused. Why would a coach trade a D causing a shortage to his D corp, trade a capable fan favorite forward, disrupt his locker room for a player the fans loved to hate and didn't fit? Oh and Porter

retired a month ago, long before this list was released.

• Like 1

I'm confused. Why would a coach trade a D causing a shortage to his D corp, trade a capable fan favorite forward, disrupt his locker room for a player the fans loved to hate and didn't fit? Oh and Porter

retired a month ago, long before this list was released.

My opinion is he did it because of speed.  Mueller or Bauer wasn't the fastest guys on their skates.  Porter was fast and a lot of the time chase the puck into the offensive zone.  One thing Bremner wants in his players is speed.  Just my thought of the situation.

14 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

My opinion is he did it because of speed.  Mueller or Bauer wasn't the fastest guys on their skates.  Porter was fast and a lot of the time chase the puck into the offensive zone.  One thing Bremner wants in his players is speed.  Just my thought of the situation.

You're right, Porter was very fast for a big dude!

Didn't Mueller stop playing too?

4 minutes ago, Canucks13 said:

You're right, Porter was very fast for a big dude!

Didn't Mueller stop playing too?

Porter was no faster, top speed, than Mueller. Mueller has a much better shot. Mueller better defensively with his background as a D.

Last I heard, Mueller will start the season in the EC just like last year.  My info line has been dark for a month or so, but he'll stay in the EC.

Looks like I get to close the office. See ya boys.

26 minutes ago, sportsdad said:

Porter was no faster, top speed, than Mueller. Mueller has a much better shot. Mueller better defensively with his background as a D.

Last I heard, Mueller will start the season in the EC just like last year.  My info line has been dark for a month or so, but he'll stay in the EC.

Porter was also one of our best players on a penalty kill.

I still thought Porter was a better player overall but we will have to agree to disagree! Wasn’t there an issue with Mueller in Fayetteville? I don’t know if he’s the best guy to have in the locker room. 

• Like 1

Armstrong being protected was kinda surprising to me. Just because guys are protected does not mean they will be Dawgs in the coming season. Some of those guys will stick in the E probably. 

4 minutes ago, KennyLang1775 said:

Armstrong being protected was kinda surprising to me. Just because guys are protected does not mean they will be Dawgs in the coming season. Some of those guys will stick in the E probably. 

Armstrong isn't a guy you want to play against in the event he doesn't make an echl roster

1 minute ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Armstrong isn't a guy you want to play against in the event he doesn't make an echl roster

Exactly and if we hadn't protected him I would almost guarantee Quad Cities would take him, if for no other reason than to have a familiar name to the fans on the roster. 

I'm just happy Steve Mele is on the list.  Hopefully that means he's not retiring.  His point production would be hard to replace.  I'm pretty happy about the protected list.  Only two worried about is Daniel Vernace and John Gustafsson.  Then again Matt Zenzola might be a nice pick for QC to have a veteran goaltender in the net.

• Haha 1

I heard that Greg Roberts reported that Gandara retired. 

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

I'm just happy Steve Mele is on the list.  Hopefully that means he's not retiring.  His point production would be hard to replace.  I'm pretty happy about the protected list.  Only two worried about is Daniel Vernace and John Gustafsson.  Then again Matt Zenzola might be a nice pick for QC to have a veteran goaltender in the net.

That would be good for other teams.....Green was good last year for MRK, Idk if QC would pass on him after a season like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

I heard that Greg Roberts reported that Gandara retired. 

Yes he did. 

Greg Roberts said Gandara called him this morning before the protected list was released and told him he was hanging it up.  Per Greg, David was playing hurt much of this year and has a couple of surgeries scheduled in the near future and just said his body couldn't take it anymore.  He went on to ask Greg to tell the folks in Roanoke how much he enjoyed playing here ("he said he couldn't believe how much fun he had playing in Roanoke").

Best wishes, young man.  We enjoyed having you here as well.

• Like 3

I would like to see Roanoke go after either Brad Drobot or Dennis Sicard ( If he didn't retire ), Mele and these guys need an iron fist out there to watch their backs.

2 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

I would like to see Roanoke go after either Brad Drobot or Dennis Sicard ( If he didn't retire ), Mele and these guys need an iron fist out there to watch their backs.

Peoria didn't protect Cody Dion either. I'm not sure about Drobot IMO he doesn't bring much to the team other than fight. At least Dion or Sicard go both fight and put up points.