Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

PlayaHtr

Protected List Thoughts

10 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

Peoria didn't protect Cody Dion either. I'm not sure about Drobot IMO he doesn't bring much to the team other than fight. At least Dion or Sicard go both fight and put up points.

Either 3 would be a good option, I understand about Drobot though.  I just got tired of seeing guys take cheap shots and jump our skill guys ( specifically Beer and Mele in the Peoria series at the end of the year ) I also think it would give those guys more confidence knowing they're protected on the ice.  Also I think it would help Barone's confidence knowing the bill would come due if anyone touched him.

9 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

Yes he did. 

Greg Roberts said Gandara called him this morning before the protected list was released and told him he was hanging it up.  Per Greg, David was playing hurt much of this year and has a couple of surgeries scheduled in the near future and just said his body couldn't take it anymore.  He went on to ask Greg to tell the folks in Roanoke how much he enjoyed playing here ("he said he couldn't believe how much fun he had playing in Roanoke").

Best wishes, young man.  We enjoyed having you here as well.

Wow, didn't know he had nagging injuries most of last season. I have even more respect for Gandara now because he played a very physical game last year! I'll miss having him in Roanoke. Funny story: I talked to him a few times after games and whatnot and he would often recognize me and say "Oh yeah! You're that Canucks guy!" This was said even when I was not wearing a Canucks jersey, haha!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Either 3 would be a good option, I understand about Drobot though.  I just got tired of seeing guys take cheap shots and jump our skill guys ( specifically Beer and Mele in the Peoria series at the end of the year ) I also think it would give those guys more confidence knowing they're protected on the ice.  Also I think it would help Barone's confidence knowing the bill would come due if anyone touched him.

I agree that Roanoke needs some grit and players that will stick up for the team. I'd love to see Sicard on the team but I think his career may be over. Dion would be a good choice as well! Towards the end of the season I saw a little bit more fight in Roanoke but they still need a guy who will fight!

3 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

I would like to see Roanoke go after either Brad Drobot or Dennis Sicard ( If he didn't retire ), Mele and these guys need an iron fist out there to watch their backs.

Jake Schultz from Mississippi is another possibility to fill this role.

I don't think Drobot brings enough to the table play wise to use up roster space for.  As far as Dion is concerned, that guy is unhinged and one bad game away from a career ending suspension in my opinion.

2 hours ago, vicvegas said:

Jake Schultz from Mississippi is another possibility to fill this role.

I don't think Drobot brings enough to the table play wise to use up roster space for.  As far as Dion is concerned, that guy is unhinged and one bad game away from a career ending suspension in my opinion.

Yeah Jake Schultz is another one I like, agree on Drobot, would rather have somebody that can skate a regular shift without it becoming a liability.

Cody Dion and Dennis Sicard are both considered veterans.  So with Steve Mele and Joe Sova veterans also not sure if it's a possibility if they both comeback.  I'm not sure i'd want Drobot, he's too much of a one dimensional player and probably wouldn't even leave Fayetteville.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Cody Dion and Dennis Sicard are both considered veterans.  So with Steve Mele and Joe Sova veterans also not sure if it's a possibility if they both comeback.  I'm not sure i'd want Drobot, he's too much of a one dimensional player and probably wouldn't even leave Fayetteville.

We can have 3 vets on the team, with Nick Schneider retiring we have one Vet spot open

As long as the total number of pro games played between the 3 doesn't exceed 1100 - or 900 - or whatever it is this year.

12 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

We can have 3 vets on the team, with Nick Schneider retiring we have one Vet spot open

With 900 games total and just Sicard himself is over 500

12 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

With 900 games total and just Sicard himself is over 500

Dion it is

7 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Dion it is

I wouldn't hate that.  I could go for that.  He can play hockey and be a goon when he has to be.  Plus I know him and our coach are good friends.  Might be a possibility if Trudel didn't want to hold on to him.

Mele and Sova have 630 pro games combined so if my stats, math and understanding of how the veteran rule works are correct, even if we brought in another vet with only the minimum games to be a vet someone would have to go before the 16th game of the season.

8 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

Mele and Sova have 630 pro games combined so if my stats, math and understanding of how the veteran rule works are correct, even if we brought in another vet with only the minimum games to be a vet someone would have to go before the 16th game of the season.

That's what i figured without doing the math myself.  If the rule is 900 it's pretty hard to keep 3 veterans on a team.

Another one that might work is Mike Economos.  I know he's from Illinois but maybe he was spurned by Trudel in Peoria for being left off the playoff roster.  He was 2nd in the league in fights.  Just a thought.

Some good discussion, the common denominator is we need a fighter. LOL

16 hours ago, PlayaHtr said:

Some good discussion, the common denominator is we need a fighter. LOL

It was a huge problem last year

I still havent seen any "Official" release that "Vet GP" has dropped to 900. Asked the Sin Bin and they said they havent seen a change either.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, Marksmen3519 said:

I still havent seen any "Official" release that "Vet GP" has dropped to 900. Asked the Sin Bin and they said they havent seen a change either.

There was no "official release" and it's not in the SPHL rule book. See my post on 5/15/18. So unless the Havoc coaches/staff are stupid and don't know the league policy, or they are content with having "veterans" with less total game experience than other teams' "veterans" in the league (neither of which I believe is true), consider the limit a total of 900 games. Doc

1 hour ago, hockeydoc said:

There was no "official release" and it's not in the SPHL rule book. See my post on 5/15/18. So unless the Havoc coaches/staff are stupid and don't know the league policy, or they are content with having "veterans" with less total game experience than other teams' "veterans" in the league (neither of which I believe is true), consider the limit a total of 900 games. Doc

Not familiar with Knoxville's roster this past season and vets. But when they added Swider at the end of the year he alone had over 550 games played, so Knoxville only had 1 veteran on the team?

1 hour ago, PlayaHtr said:

Not familiar with Knoxville's roster this past season and vets. But when they added Swider at the end of the year he alone had over 550 games played, so Knoxville only had 1 veteran on the team?

If I understand the rule correctly, and that is a big if, you are allowed 2 vets with no total game limit the 900 game limit only applies if you want a 3rd vet. So you could have 2 guys with 1000 games each but if you want to field 3 vets they must have less than 900 games combined.

When the modification to the original rule was added, it was a limit on total games played by all vets (limit 3). It prevented Knoxville from keeping Swider and Sich and Olauson at the same time. 

Here is the text from the article that announced it:

The Knoxville Ice Bears' roster plans for the 2011-12 season were dealt a major blow last week during the Southern Professional Hockey League's annual Board of Governors meetings in Las Vegas. During the meetings that concluded June 23, the board voted to lower the number of professional games allowed by each team's three veterans from a combined 1,300 games to a combined 1,100 games. Each SPHL teams can have three veterans.
That rule change nixed the Ice Bears' plans for this imposing trio of SPHL veterans: Kevin Swider, Rob Sich, and Emery Olauson. Their combined pro games at the end of the 2010-11 season totaled 1,194.

Last year, Scott was Knoxville’s only vet until Swider signed. 

5 hours ago, vicvegas said:

If I understand the rule correctly, and that is a big if, you are allowed 2 vets with no total game limit the 900 game limit only applies if you want a 3rd vet. So you could have 2 guys with 1000 games each but if you want to field 3 vets they must have less than 900 games combined.

"Total" means "total". If a player has 901 games played, he alone is over the 900 game limit and he can't play in the SPHL. If another veteran (again, remember that a "veteran" is one who has played more than 224 games) has played 677 games (900 - 224 = 676), a team can't have another veteran on its roster. In sum (pardon the pun), 900 is the limit of TOTAL number of  games which have been played, prior to this season, by any combination of 1, 2, or 3 "veterans". 

• Like 1