Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

PlayaHtr

Protected List Thoughts

17 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

"Total" means "total". If a player has 901 games played, he alone is over the 900 game limit and he can't play in the SPHL. If another veteran (again, remember that a "veteran" is one who has played more than 224 games) has played 677 games (900 - 224 = 676), a team can't have another veteran on its roster. In sum (pardon the pun), 900 is the limit of TOTAL number of  games which have been played, prior to this season, by any combination of 1, 2, or 3 "veterans". 

Thanks for your support (I guess). Doc

28 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Simple math eludes some people.

It's not a matter of math, it was explained to me that all teams were allowed 2 Vets with no game limit but they could add a 3rd if the total games between all 3 fell below 900 (1100 at the time I recieved the explanation). If that is incorrect, as I stated, I am full willing to admit my understanding of the rule is incorrect. The vailed (barely) insult is not needed.

"Total" means "total". If a player has 901 games played, he alone is over the 900 game limit and he can't play in the SPHL. If another veteran (again, remember that a "veteran" is one who has played more than 224 games) has played 677 games (900 - 224 = 676), a team can't have another veteran on its roster. In sum (pardon the pun), 900 is the limit of TOTAL number of  games which have been played, prior to this season, by any combination of 1, 2, or 3 "veterans". 

I'd like to read the rule for myself. Is it available to the general public or do yo have to be a member of a secret society to get a copy?

1 hour ago, vicvegas said:

It's not a matter of math, it was explained to me that all teams were allowed 2 Vets with no game limit but they could add a 3rd if the total games between all 3 fell below 900 (1100 at the time I recieved the explanation). If that is incorrect, as I stated, I am full willing to admit my understanding of the rule is incorrect. The vailed (barely) insult is not needed.

I guess someone 'splained the rule to you wrongly, so I can see your misunderstanding. The "insult" was not aimed specifically at you, however, if you really want to use the word "vailed" (and noted that it's archaic but still acceptable):

vail
vāl/
verb
archaic
past tense: vailed; past participle: vailed
  1. take off or lower (one's hat or crown) as a token of respect or submission.
    • take off one's hat or otherwise show respect or submission to someone.

13 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

"Total" means "total". If a player has 901 games played, he alone is over the 900 game limit and he can't play in the SPHL. If another veteran (again, remember that a "veteran" is one who has played more than 224 games) has played 677 games (900 - 224 = 676), a team can't have another veteran on its roster. In sum (pardon the pun), 900 is the limit of TOTAL number of  games which have been played, prior to this season, by any combination of 1, 2, or 3 "veterans". 

I'd like to read the rule for myself. Is it available to the general public or do yo have to be a member of a secret society to get a copy?

Just goin' with what @hockeydoc posted. I suppose he has pretty close contact with the Havoc coaches and staff, and I would hope he wouldn't post anything about a league rule or policy that the Havoc didn't know about. In addition, as @MacGuy wrote: 

Drop a note to the league and see if they give you an answer. 

On 6/5/2018 at 9:33 AM, PlayaHtr said:

Not familiar with Knoxville's roster this past season and vets. But when they added Swider at the end of the year he alone had over 550 games played, so Knoxville only had 1 veteran on the team?

Berkley Scott was the only veteran on Knoxville's roster all year.  His game total was not extremely large for the veteran total either.

On 6/5/2018 at 1:06 PM, MacGuy said:

When the modification to the original rule was added, it was a limit on total games played by all vets (limit 3). It prevented Knoxville from keeping Swider and Sich and Olauson at the same time. 

Here is the text from the article that announced it:

Last year, Scott was Knoxville’s only vet until Swider signed. 

It was actually Swider, Sich, and Vitek.  The league was terrified that 3 of the best scorers in league history were going to be on the same team, so they screwed Knoxville just as the season was ramping up.  They prevented Swider's return the previous year because he retired and worked in the front office.  A second player also worked in the front office, and there was or is some sort of rule that only one player per season can be employed by the front office.  The SPHL office should pay Knoxville child support at this point.

Had to use the WaybackMachine, but here's the original article from July 3, 2011, which lists Swider, Sich & Olauson: Rule change disrupts 'perfect world' for Craigen, Ice Bears

Vitek did indeed qualify as a Vet, but he last played for Knoxville in 2010. 2010-11 was the year Swider missed though.