Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

RapidFire19

Mayhem Protected List

Mayhem Finalize 2018-2019 Protected List

MACON, GA- The Macon Mayhem and Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas announced the team’s 13-player protected list for the 2018-2019 season on Wednesday afternoon.

The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) allows each team to protect 13 players who from the final roster, giving them exclusive rights in the SPHL to these players. These players cannot be chosen by the recently-announced Quad City franchise in this off-season’s expansion draft and cannot sign as free agents with other SPHL teams. These 13 players are, however, free to sign contracts with teams in other professional leagues. The players excluded from the protected list are eligible to be chosen in the upcoming expansion draft and can sign freely with other teams in the SPHL.

“It’s never an easy decision when you have so many guys that gave everything they had to this team and played their hearts out for us last season,” said Thomas. “At the end of the day, our priority was to protect our young talent that we can build around for not only this season, but the future.”

The Mayhem’s protected list consists of nine forwards and four defensemen. Leading point-scorer Jake Trask, who tallied 30 goals, 46 assists and 76 points in 60 games in the regular season and playoffs, and captain Daniel Gentzler headline the list that includes the team’s top six point-scorers from the regular season.

“There were obviously some really good players that were left off the list, but just because we didn’t protect someone, it does not mean we would not like them back on our team,” said Thomas. “The group we protected gives us a great core for next year’s team, and we’re excited to surround them with good players and teammates.”

The Mayhem’s 13-player protected list for the 2018-2019 season is as listed below:

FORWARDS (9)          AGE     HT       WT      HOMETOWN              17-18 MAYHEM STATS
Caleb Cameron           25        5-10     185      Sundridge, ON            23 G, 23 A, 46 P (50 GP)
Dylan Vander Esch      23        6-1       185      San Jose, CA                8 G, 14 A, 22 P (18 GP)
Kevin Irwin                  24        5-11     185      Hinckley, OH                6 G, 5 A, 11 P (17 GP)
John Siemer                26        5-9       185      Baldwin Park, CA        23 G, 34 A, 57 P (62 GP)
Stathis Soumelidis      24        6-2       220      Brno, CZE                    18 G, 30 A, 48 P (53 GP)
Chris Izmirlian             25        5-10     181      Montreal, QC              5 G, 13 A, 18 P (10 GP)
Dakota Klecha             26        5-8       176      Taylor, MI                    7 G, 13 A, 20 P (23 GP)
Jake Trask                   26        6-0       175      Saskatoon, SK             30 G, 46 A, 76 P (60 GP)
Daniel Gentzler           27        5-10     185      Hermosa Beach, CA    15 G, 35 A, 50 P (55 GP)

DEFENSEMEN (4)       AGE     HT       WT      HOMETOWN              17-18 MAYHEM STATS
Chris Joseph                27        6-0       185      Levittown, NY             1 G, 0 A, 1 P (13 GP)
Zach Urban                 24        6-3       205      Bow Valley, AB           1 G, 17 A, 18 P (42 GP)
Jeff Sanders                29        6-2       185      San Jose, CA                2 G, 7 A, 9 P (46 GP)
Jarrett Kup                  25        6-0       185      Rosseau, ON               0 G, 4 A, 4 P (8 GP)

Players can start signing with teams after the expansion draft, but players who were left unprotected cannot sign with their previous team until August 1.

Unprotected players from the post-season roster:

Brandon Pfeil (D)
Dylan Denomme (RW)
Daniel Echeverri (D)
Ian Ecklund (C)
Jake Faiella (D)
Brandon Parrone (D)
Seth Ronsberg (C)
Charlie Finn (G)
Peter Di Salvo (G)

Protected, but not on the post-season roster:

Chris Izmirlian (spent 2nd 1/2 of season in the ECHL with Quad City)
Chris Joseph (spent 1/2 the season in the ECHL with Jacksonville)
Jarrett Kup (started in late February with the Mayhem)

On 5/30/2018 at 3:46 PM, kittrellrunner said:

I wonder if Sicard is retiring.and we didn't protect any goalie.

I sort of suspect with Sicard's situation, he likely would retire now.  The only situation I could think that makes sense is for him to sign with Knoxville to be their "enforcer" and 10th forward (especially since they seem to have no veterans remaining on the roster).  If he isn't retired, I would assume it was Knoxville or retirement.  That probably placed Macon in the situation of not protecting him.

3 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Why Knoxville? He's played more in Macon.

Just curious.

He still lives there.  His girlfriend/fiance/wife lives in Knoxville (I assume, as I've not verified his relationship status).  He has been living long distance from her playing in Macon the last couple of years.  Pure speculation, but I would think he doesn't want to continue that much longer.  If he were to play, I would think Knoxville may be the only option he'd want for that.  Also, Knoxville needs a veteran.  They need a tough guy.  They did not use Howe hardly at all in the enforcer role last year, so I'd think they'd want an enforcer kind of guy that can play meaningful shifts.