Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

New Swamp Rabbits Coach Kevin Kerr looking for a roster loaded with 'lunch box players'

New Swamp Rabbits Coach Kevin Kerr looking for a roster loaded with 'lunch box players'

By Scott Keepfer - Greenville News

Kevin Kerr is looking to fill the Greenville Swamp Rabbits’ roster with players blessed with hunger, talent and character.

An ability to pack a lunch box will come in handy, too.

“I was always lunch box player when I played,” said Kerr, who last week was named the third coach in the nine-year history of the minor-league hockey franchise. “I packed a lunch every day and went to work, and I think those are the type players we want to have here.

“We want to have never quit, never-say-die players that will battle right to the end whether the score’s 5-1, 7-1, 3-2. If we’re up 6-2, we won’t change the way we play. We’re going to be a hard-working team that I hope Greenville will be proud of.”

Kerr, who played pro hockey for 18 years after being drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in 1986, also has coached for 13 years, most recently in Macon, Georgia, where he guided the Mayhem of the Southern Pro Hockey League to a 94-56-11-7 record over the past three seasons. Macon advanced to the playoffs each season under Kerr and won a President’s Cup Championship in 2017.

“I’ve had those type teams in the past that (opposing) teams have always come in and kind of been afraid to play against my teams,” said Kerr, who met with the media for the first time on Wednesday. “It’s just important to have those gritty guys and those character guys that are willing to pay the price and mix it up a little bit and stick up for their teammates.”

Read more at: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/hockey/greenville-swamp-rabbits/2018/05/30/new-swamp-rabbits-coach-looking-lunch-box-players/656899002/