Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Ice Flyers hire Rod Aldoff for third go-round as head coach

Ice Flyers hire Rod Aldoff for third go-round as head coach

By Bill Vilona - News Journal

Three's company with Rod Aldoff and the Pensacola Ice Flyers.

In a move that surprises, if only for peculiarity, the Ice Flyers have rehired their ultra-successful former coach Rod Aldoff for a third stint behind the bench. 

Aldoff, 47, a Canadian native and Wisconsin resident, agreed to return to Pensacola where he led the Ice Flyers to a pair of Southern Professional Hockey League championships in a three-season span from 2014-2016.

"We got it all it worked out," said Ice Flyers owner Greg Harris. "I know he loves it here and we have such a good relationship. It's a friend relationship. I completely trust him and he completely trusts me. 

"We have a mutual understanding on how we want to do things and where we want to go. It's great to have him back."

After making a decision he termed a mutual one with Jeff Bes on Tuesday to not return for a second season, Harris called up Aldoff to gauge interest. 

Aldoff was working last season for the Edmonton Oilers as a midwest scout for the NHL team. Harris said he had one month left in his contract agreement, which the Ice Flyers will pick up. 

"This all kind of worked out," Harris said. "He's the kind of guy who likes to prove himself every day and he's going to come in here and prove himself over and over again. That's the great part about Rod."

Read more at: https://www.pnj.com/story/sports/hockey/pensacola-ice-flyers/2018/06/01/pensacola-ice-flyers-hire-rod-aldoff-third-time-coach/663218002/

I think we all saw this coming....Kind of quick also. Makes you wonder if there were talks way before any announcements and I mean way before...So they bring back an previous coach ?????? Will Fayetteville do the same I mean Bes is available...He had some success in Fayetteville before leaving and going to Pensacola ......THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO HMMM

On 6/1/2018 at 1:34 PM, MacGuy said:

I think he meant to say "The third time's the charm."

Mr. Vilona is not widely acclaimed for his strengths in creative writing.  :huh:

22 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

At least they have a sports writer.

Sorry, sore subject ... or were you referring to Peoria?  :unsure: