Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

HockeyRoanoke

Home Schedule Released

Really not liking how long the late February early March break is this season, definatly going to have to try and squeeze a away game road trip  or two in during that span. 

8 hours ago, vicvegas said:

Really not liking how long the late February early March break is this season, definatly going to have to try and squeeze a away game road trip  or two in during that span. 

One month and 6 days between a home game.  I don't like it either but i guess it will be like that every year.  From what I hear we will be keeping that Thanksgiving Day game each year to bring back the tradition we had when we were in the ECHL.

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

One month and 6 days between a home game.  I don't like it either but i guess it will be like that every year.  

Pretty sure that's a Berglund Center issue - you can't play road games if you don't have ice.  At least the team will have the Lancerlot to practice, which is a plus over the past.

Posted (edited)

Nice to see a decrease on the non-holiday Thursdays, down from 3 to 1. The (presumably) afternoon game on MLK day will be an experiment, but it shouldn’t do any worse than a Thursday night.

Also counted their Fri-Sat back to backs, 7 this year (there were 6 last year). 5 of those 7 make up the final 10 home games of the season. 2 back to backs in November, and that’s all until February. Those split your gate as nobody except STH’s come to both.

Edited by Theoriginalalex

10 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

Pretty sure that's a Berglund Center issue - you can't play road games if you don't have ice.  At least the team will have the Lancerlot to practice, which is a plus over the past.

Hoping maybe that the extra week away on this stretch is because they have relocated one of the April events to open up availability of the Berglund Center for playoffs🤞

9 minutes ago, Theoriginalalex said:

... Also counted their Fri-Sat back to backs, 7 this year (there were 6 last year). 5 of those 7 make up the final 10 home games of the season. 2 back to backs in November, and that’s all until February. Those split your gate as nobody except STH’s come to both.

Another perspective: Visiting fans often do attend both weekend games; me 'n' Mrs. JMC do it at least once a month during hockey season all over the country.  So that's another fan segment that won't "split the gate."  A good reason for leagues & front offices to do more to encourage fan rivalries between nearby cities, the first step being scheduling back-to-backs.  Saturday night-Sunday afternoon pairs might increase visitor attendance in such situations more than Fri-Sat night pairs, giving the travelers more time for commuting.  But Sundays are popular dates for other forms of business & entertainment leasing arenas, so those will be difficult to schedule.

7 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Another perspective: Visiting fans often do attend both weekend games; me 'n' Mrs. JMC do it at least once a month during hockey season all over the country.  So that's another fan segment that won't "split the gate."

Fair point, I’ve done that before as a visiting fan. I’m figuring that as a very small % of the attendance, however.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Theoriginalalex said:

Fair point, I’ve done that before as a visiting fan. I’m figuring that as a very small % of the attendance, however.

I agree, I definitely think back to back weekends will increase visiting fans (everyone except Fay and Knox are 8+ hours away and that is a long drive for one game) but by what, maybe 100 fans (and that is a very generous estimate) vs losing 500 to 1000 by splitting local fans.

Edited by vicvegas

49 minutes ago, Theoriginalalex said:

43 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

I agree, I definitely think back to back weekends will increase visiting fans (everyone except Fay and Knox are 8+ hours away and that is a long drive for one game) but by what, maybe 100 fans (and that is a very generous estimate) vs losing 500 to 1000 by splitting local fans.

No arguments from me re. small percentages of visiting fans.  But encouraging them to travel would increase the # of tickets sold for a given weekend (e.g., sponsoring more bus trips, advertising even small discounts for opposing team fans to buy tickets, and especially making local lodging discounts available & known).  As for this whole "splitting the gate" concept, I must be missing something.  A finite number of local folks with money to burn are going to choose to take in a hockey game on a given weekend, with the night based on their personal schedules and social habits.  So is there an economic advantage to the host team to have a majority of the weekend attendance on one night?  :hmm:

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

No arguments from me re. small percentages of visiting fans.  But encouraging them to travel would increase the # of tickets sold for a given weekend (e.g., sponsoring more bus trips, advertising even small discounts for opposing team fans to buy tickets, and especially making local lodging discounts available & known).  As for this whole "splitting the gate" concept, I must be missing something.  A finite number of local folks with money to burn are going to choose to take in a hockey game on a given weekend, with the night based on their personal schedules and social habits.  So is there an economic advantage to the host team to have a majority of the weekend attendance on one night?  :hmm:

The only way there would any economic advantage would be if you could schedule all home games as single game weekend, which given the venue availability and length of season constraints isn't feasible.

With 56 games in 28 weeks, even with no availability issues, the only way to do that would be to have every weekend be a home-away split and with the travel distances involved that isn't really an option. So that leaves either multi-game weekends or more mid-week games and I think that everyone agrees that multi-game weekends are preferable to more mid-week games (which tend to be little more than just STHs in attendance and probably not even all of them) . 

Edited by vicvegas
Trying to avoid a tongue lashing from P.O. for typos
  • Thanks 1

If I could change anything about our schedule it would be to cut down on, or completely get rid of Friday night games during High School football season. I know several fans who attend most games but have kids who play high school football and miss all those Friday night games.

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

...is there an economic advantage to the host team to have a majority of the weekend attendance on one night?  :hmm:

I don’t have concrete data to back this up, but the way the idea has always been described to me is that you’ll get casual fans who come out Friday vs. Peoria and say “that was fun, I see they are playing Huntsville in 2 weeks, let’s go again”, but you won’t have casual fans say “let’s come back tomorrow night and see Peoria again.”

I lived in Rochester for ~25 years, and I always heard from those in the more remote AHL cities how tough it was to sell a Fri-Sat 2-game set against a single opponent compared to Rochester’s schedule of 17-21 Fridays during the season, each with a different team coming through town.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Theoriginalalex said:

I don’t have concrete data to back this up, but the way the idea has always been described to me is that you’ll get casual fans who come out Friday vs. Peoria and say “that was fun, I see they are playing Huntsville in 2 weeks, let’s go again”, but you won’t have casual fans say “let’s come back tomorrow night and see Peoria again.”

While I have no doubt the casual fans who don't follow the sport that closely feel that way, I personally prefer the second game of a two day set against the same team. That second game is almost always more physical and competative.

Also, we don't have opponents yet so we don't know how many of those Friday-Saturday sets are two against the same team, we had several times the last two seasons when we would play two different teams at home on the same weekend, usually we would play one team on Friday and that team swings to Fayetteville or Knoxville on Saturday and whoever played Fay or Knox on Friday comes to play us on Saturday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vicvegas said:

While I have no doubt the casual fans who don't follow the sport that closely feel that way, I personally prefer the second game of a two day set against the same team. That second game is almost always more physical and competative.

Also, we don't have opponents yet so we don't know how many of those Friday-Saturday sets are two against the same team, we had several times the last two seasons when we would play two different teams at home on the same weekend, usually we would play one team on Friday and that team swings to Fayetteville or Knoxville on Saturday and whoever played Fay or Knox on Friday comes to play us on Saturday.

I'm right there with you on that.  When you play guys more then one game in a row it seems the two teams get more into rivalry mode.  Things usually start getting more physical while sometimes getting chippy.  One of my favorite series last year was the 4 games we played against Peoria.  They might not have meant much in the standings after we clinched a playoff spot but by watching how the two teams played you never could have noticed.

• Like 1